homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Lunar eclipse this wednesday

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lunar eclipse this wednesday
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 18, 2008 08:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be there or be square...

On Wednesday evening, February 20th, the full Moon over the Americas will turn a delightful shade of red.

The first hints of red appear around 10 pm EST (7 pm PST), heralding a profusion of coppery hues that roll across the Moon's surface enveloping every crater, mountain and moon rock, only to fade away again after 11 pm EST (8 pm PST). No special filter or telescope is required to see this spectacular event. It is a bright and leisurely display visible from cities and countryside alike.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/13feb_lunareclipse.htm

Editor's note: This story is written for an North American American audience, but people in Europe and western Africa are also favored. International maps and timetables may be found here.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2008 08:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ SNAGGY THANKS for thr the heads up. Weather permitting I will be out looking.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2008 13:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy - thanks for the info regarding eclipse times. I was wondering if we would get an eclipse this time, as the rising moon has been particularly impressive this week.

But... the action peaks at 3am round here, and I plan to be snoring in my pit at that time. Luckily, lunar eclipses are quite frequent, so I'll probably wait for the next one.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2008 13:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in oz we enjoyed the associated (partial) solar eclipse a couple of weeks ago.

They often come in pairs.

Remember guys, don't look at that eclipse with the naked eye, or the deadly eclipse-rays will get ya.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 20:52      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be out with my camera [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
suttsteve
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 10:05      Profile for suttsteve   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be the last total lunar eclipse until December 21, 2010, so be sure to catch it, if you can.
Posts: 15 | From: Springfield, GA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 11:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea, I just do't want to wake up at 4 am to see it.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 11:33      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? Lunar Eclipse? Is that some whacky new IDE?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 15:34      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Huh? Lunar Eclipse? Is that some whacky new IDE?

It's a commercial version. The developers are demanding payment in Canadian dollars.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 17:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ I don't blame them what with the exchange rate BS.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 9 posted February 20, 2008 17:25      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww, Bogotá is so cloudy I won't see it. But I told my family in Bucaramanga to take pictures for me.

EDIT

Argh! OO Programing nightmares tonight!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 19:13      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's cloudy here too. [ohwell] Oh well, hopefully the skies will be clear in 2010.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 05:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________________ Snaggy Knowing that you were probably out looking at the moon at the deepest part of the Eclipse, did you happon to see some extra shooting stars?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted February 21, 2008 08:27      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn it, it started to clear up here but then fog moved in... we missed it. [cry baby]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 21, 2008 08:48      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got to see part of it, but then I had to go to bed. Stupid eclipse - can't it happen on week-end? [Wink]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 10:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Hi All, Okay I was in and out untill it was dark enough that my wifes camera would not pick up the moon any more. If she posts the photos to web shots I will provide a link. I am sorry that all who wished to see the eclipse could not, but then I have missed out on some too. The last try the temps here were about -2DF and when I moved to peer through the view finder, the fabric of my jeans stung my skin, d#$N it was cold no wind just flat out cold.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 18:37      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was crystal clear here in central NY, and almost as fscking cold as at MoMan's place -- about 10F above. I brough out our trusty Canon Digital Rebel XT and took some shots. I'm not cool enough to have a remote trigger yet, so my shivering was causing some camera shake problems. (Well, I was cool enough, but not *cool* enough, if you know what I mean.)

Anyway, these two were the best I managed after some rather unprofessional fiddling with shutter speed (click on them for larger sized images).

-

-

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 19:56      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's mine.
 -

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2008 05:03      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
It was crystal clear here in central NY, and almost as fscking cold as at MoMan's place -- about 10F above. I brough out our trusty Canon Digital Rebel XT and took some shots. I'm not cool enough to have a remote trigger yet, so my shivering was causing some camera shake problems. (Well, I was cool enough, but not *cool* enough, if you know what I mean.)

Anyway, these two were the best I managed after some rather unprofessional fiddling with shutter speed (click on them for larger sized images).

I used the timer on my camera to take the shots which I have YET to upload. :-p But I had a decent view of the moon from the bathroom window. There might be some reflection from the double-glazing of the window, but I think they came out alright.

Will post some pics when I get around to it. [Razz]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture