homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Right or Left brained?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Right or Left brained?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 08, 2007 20:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saw this on Reddit...

The Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22535838-5012895,00.html

If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

-

(I'm right-brained. I found I could reverse her direction by waving my fingers in front on my eyes, like a strobascope.) [crazy]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 23:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm right-brained. I haven't found a way to consistently reverse her. The same trick rarely works twice and some tricks don't work at all.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 00:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I look directly at the image, it appears to be rotating clockwise, but if I look just off to either side, it always appears to be rotating counter clockwise.

Dunno what that says about my brain functions *shrug*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 01:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She spent several minutes spinning anti-clockwise, now she's spinning clockwise and I can't make her turn back.

Weird.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 01:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She only spins clockwise for me but I do notice that her hair is as if she was spinning counter clockwise.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 01:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I hold my hand up so that I can only see her legs, I can make her turn either way.

If I then slowly raise my hand to reveal the rest of her, she keeps turning the same way.

Cool.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 02:44      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the shadow undrneath her feet that turns counter clockwise.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 05:28      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clockwise. Though I knew what the answer would have been, as I did one of those brain-profiling things when I was at school (sheesh, that was years ago!). I wonder if knowing what the answer should be effects it though?
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 06:58      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both, it depends on which eye I use to look at her, and also if I'm thinking about work or play....

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 07:34      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clockwise at first; but I can reverse it not quite at will but almost.

Edit: now I can do it at will. I just have to concentrate on "the leg is moving at the front of her body" and "the leg is moving behind her body" at the right time, and voilà! she changes her spin.

(Now, anyone else is annoyed by how the leg she spins on also moves up and down?)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 07:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<rant>
Gaaaa_____Snaggy, my company should bill you for the time I spent looking at this girl.

I don't know why they say that the girls should be spinning counterclockwise or that most people would see this. Or that these people are more logic and detail oriented.

The details

Her hair is pointing flowing to the side as if she were spinning counter clockwise. Her shadow looks as if it were spinning counter clockwise due to a shadow effect.

But the leg that is in the air, is obviously moving right to left when it is in front of her body. Someone mentioned on that web pagfe that it depends on wich leg you think she is rotating around. What kind of logical person thinks she is rotating on the leg that moves more left and right?

Conclusion.

She is spinning clockwise.

She used way too much hairspray.

For the life of me I cannot get her to spin counter clockwise. It just isnít happening.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err... I haven't noticed that she's spinning... all I can see is that she's nekkid.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:24      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm usually good at visual things, but I could only see her rotating clockwise.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 09, 2007 09:36      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOOHOOO

I got it baby, I can now see her spinn in both directions. I guess you can train yourself to see it both ways.

I can switch directions by covering all of the pic except for her knees. WHen I remove my hand she switches direction, every time.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 11:09      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn it! I first saw it as counter-clockwise. Now I've managed to see it clockwise and I can't get it to go back!
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 15:24      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Darn it! I first saw it as counter-clockwise. Now I've managed to see it clockwise and I can't get it to go back!

I'm the complete opposite... I'm sure the animation changed while I was watching her -- now the cow won't go clockwise.

This thing has damaged my tiny brain!

edit: If you concentrate on her shadow, you can will her to go either way.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 13:58      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange... I found it incredibly easy - close eyes and imagine clockwise or counter then look again. Or just look away and from the corner of the eye choose clockwise or counter and look back.

Basically it is just another version of the old "Neckar Cube" etc.

But perhaps being left handed in a basically right hand oriented world has trained me to make better use of both sides of my brain?

Then again it is like one of those silly "magic eye" pictures some people can master the trick and some just can't seem to get it (and it is a trick - you just have to master how to do it)

Also as many have noted if you ignore the "visual clues" (particularly the head and hair) which your brain has latched onto and visualise it as what it actually is (i.e NOT a real 3D object) you can manage the trick a lot easier

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2007 02:05      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First she was spinning anti-clockwise, then I looked away and looked back and she was spinning clockwise....then I thought.."she's cute!" [Razz] [evil]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2007 08:05      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clockwise.
While I can suspend my disbelief when concentrating only on her legs for a few moments, the problem returns that her feet are definitely spinning clockwise.

You can tell merely by glancing at where the big & little toe are. I can't even pretend for a moment that they're spinning anything other than clockwise.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2007 12:38      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wingless your brain is "clutching at straws"

It is actually a flat silhouette being squashed from +100% to -100%... create a circle (or any other shape actually) in any app that allows such mods and do it manually - is it a 3D object rotating? No it is a 2D one squashing and expanding... your brain is programmed to prefer to build a 3D model [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 3 posted October 13, 2007 14:47      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the question, i was looking at her brests....

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2007 19:25      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see her spinning clockwise - but why does it matter which part of your brain you use anyway?

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2007 14:24      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The girl is pivoting for me. What does that mean? [Confused]

Edit: Ok now I can control which way she goes by just willing it. I guess neither side of my brain is dominant.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture