homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Lost forest reveals new species

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lost forest reveals new species
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 04:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost forest reveals new species

An expedition to a remote forest in the Democratic Republic of Congo has uncovered six new animal species.

Conservationists discovered one new bat species, a new rat and two new species each of shrews and frogs.

The region, which is in eastern DR Congo, near Lake Tanganyika, has been off limits to researchers since 1960 because of instability in the area.

The survey, led by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), was carried out between January and March 2007.

It covered one square kilometre of forest.

WCS researcher Dr Andrew Plumptre said: "If we can find six new species in such a short period it makes you wonder what else is out there.

"The block of forest has probably been isolated from the rest of the Congo forest block for about 10,000 years."

Of the two new amphibian species discovered, one, a small bright green frog, is in the Hyperolius genus, the other, a 1-2cm-long black frog may belong to a completely new genus.

(-more-)

-

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 09, 2007 04:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, who lost the forset. They will be happy someone found it for them.

/ me ducks

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 05:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
The region, which is in eastern DR Congo, near Lake Tanganyika, has been off limits to researchers since 1960 because of instability in the area.

I can vouch for that, I went to see the Mountain Gorillas not far from there. Got shot at one day, and threatened with a machete the next.
Zaire (as it was then known) made it on to my very short list of places I will never go to again.

quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Well, who lost the forset. They will be happy someone found it for them.

It must have been hidden behind all those trees. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 05:31      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
[qb]The region, which is in eastern DR Congo, near Lake Tanganyika, has been off limits to researchers since 1960 because of instability in the area.

I can vouch for that, I went to see the Mountain Gorillas not far from there. Got shot at one day, and threatened with a machete the next.
Zaire (as it was then known) made it on to my very short list of places I will never go to again.

There's been some sad news about the gorillas recently. Eight mountain gorillas are shot dead in troubled national park

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 14:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
There's been some sad news about the gorillas recently. Eight mountain gorillas are shot dead in troubled national park

Sometimes, I'm deeply ashamed of the species I was born in. [cry baby] [cry baby] [cry baby] [cry baby] [cry baby]

That's the park we went to, from the description, sounds like it could be the group we visited.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 01:18      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:

Sometimes, I'm deeply ashamed of the species I was born in. [cry baby] [cry baby] [cry baby] [cry baby] [cry baby]

That's the park we went to, from the description, sounds like it could be the group we visited.

It's pointless. And so very sad. And I can think of a number of things that I would like to see happen to the people that did it. Most of them painful and all of them fatal.

Seems like there are more important things than oil that all our guns and soldiers could be used to protect.

It's been a bad news week all around. It looks like the Baiji is extinct, too. (That's why I posted the frogs, it was nice to see something good.)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture