homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Ky. Creation Museum Opens to Thousands (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ky. Creation Museum Opens to Thousands
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 12:24      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea where to put this link... The Onion couldn't have done it better.

Ky. Creation Museum Opens to Thousands

I laughed 'til I cried when I read this:
quote:
Some exhibits show dinosaurs aboard Noah's Ark and assert that all animals were vegetarians until Adam committed the first sin in the Garden of Eden.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 12:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why am I not surprised that it is in Kentucky?

Oh well, another reason to be ashamed of where I was born. As if the inbreeding wasn't enough. [ohwell]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 12:38      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, they've got animatronic dinosaurs. Everyone loves animatronic dinosaurs.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 12:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true. But I don't care for boats.

I will have to ask my mom to see where in Genesis is it mentioned that all animals were herbivores. If it's there, she will find it.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 12:48      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you have an in???

Ask her how all the dinosaurs got killed off but everyone else survived, especially since the dinosaurs apparently got ark space. I've been wondering that since I read the article.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 12:56      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I got an insider. Granted, I am supposed to burn in a fiery grave, but that is besides the point. [Wink] I will ask her about that one too. (Crossing his fingers hoping his mother has a better grip on logic than the museum curators.)

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 13:01      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole vegetarian animal thing isn't in the Bible. It's one of those things that biblical literalists sometimes assume based on what they think a perfect world would be like, and on some of Isaiah's prophecies about the future perfect world:
quote:
The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.Isaiah 11:6
I think that a literal interpretation is rather silly, as Isaiah frequently used phrases that were clearly meant to be figurative, and that the same applies here.

As far as dinosaurs on the ark, the creationists I've met tend to believe that they just didn't survive too long after the flood due to changes in climate and being hunted to extinction.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 13:29      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Ask her how all the dinosaurs got killed off but everyone else survived, especially since the dinosaurs apparently got ark space. I've been wondering that since I read the article.

Because the Flying Spaghetti Monster made it so.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 14:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
The whole vegetarian animal thing isn't in the Bible. It's one of those things that biblical literalists sometimes assume based on what they think a perfect world would be like, and on some of Isaiah's prophecies about the future perfect world:
quote:
The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.Isaiah 11:6
I think that a literal interpretation is rather silly, as Isaiah frequently used phrases that were clearly meant to be figurative, and that the same applies here.

As far as dinosaurs on the ark, the creationists I've met tend to believe that they just didn't survive too long after the flood due to changes in climate and being hunted to extinction.

Then why was God displeased with Cain's offering of fruits of the soil?
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 15:12      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
quote:

It's generally believed that the rejection had little to do with the offering itself. For example, the widely used Matthew Henry Commentary points to Cain's pride as being the problem.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 15:21      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are missing the point. Animatronic dinosaurs.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 15:38      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes vegetarian animatronic dinosaurs on a boat.

Geez you would think people would have their priorities straight when talking about the creationist museum.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 01, 2007 15:39      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who were there were obviously more attracted to the animatronics and the fanciness than the museum itself... just think about Disneyworld, fantasy and tech together, they just called it a museum.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 16:02      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Yes vegetarian animatronic dinosaurs on a boat.

They wouldn't have been vegetarian by the time they were on the boat, which I suppose could be another explanation as to why certain species suddenly vanished.

It's like the classic Far Side cartoon: "Well that's it for the unicorns, from now on all the carnivores are confined to C Deck"

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 16:08      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, I forgot.

Now if Noah was supposed to bring two of every creature on the Ark, what creatures did he use to feed the carnivores for 40 days and nights? [Confused]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 16:13      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh man, I forgot.

Now if Noah was supposed to bring two of every creature on the Ark, what creatures did he use to feed the carnivores for 40 days and nights? [Confused]

It was two of each unclean animal and seven of each clean animal IIRC. Presumably that would be enough to feed the animals and themselves over the course of the trip.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 16:33      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh man, I forgot.

Non-believers.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 16:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
what creatures did he use to feed the carnivores for 40 days and nights? [Confused]

It rained for 40 days and 40 nights, the boat trip lasted about a year.

That's a lot of dino-poo to shovel.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 16:47      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course I read the topic as " K.Y. Creation Museum Opens to Thousands".

Though I guess they could have animatronics of a sort also...

/coat

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 17:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
Of course I read the topic as " K.Y. Creation Museum Opens to Thousands".

Though I guess they could have animatronics of a sort also...

/coat

...and it would be hard to close...completely.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 17:40      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because the blood sacrifice of animals was symbolic of the blood sacrifice Jesus was to make. It was a reminder that it took the death of something/someone innocent to excuse the sins of another.

And there sure are a lot of people here who love to criticize those who believe in God. I'm sure those of you who do, think of yourself as good people, tolerant, etc. Yet you can't seem to 'tolerate' someone who has a different view of creation and religion. What the hell do you care? Can't you just live and let live? Oh no, that's right. That's what they're supposed to do. Not you. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 18:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boo wrote:
And there sure are a lot of people here who love to criticize those who believe in God. I'm sure those of you who do, think of yourself as good people, tolerant, etc. Yet you can't seem to 'tolerate' someone who has a different view of creation and religion. What the hell do you care? Can't you just live and let live? Oh no, that's right. That's what they're supposed to do. Not you. [Roll Eyes]

Hold up for a moment there...

The evolution/creation argument can't be laid at the feet of evolutionists. Those who teach evolution don't demand that the churches make equal time to teach evolution or stop teaching creation in church. There have been many demands made by creationists, however, to have evolution removed from textbooks and/or creation theory taught along side it in schools. Despite the inappropriateness the problems that would stem from teaching a Christian concept in publicly funded schools attended by all religions, the demands and legal challenges from creationists continue to crop up.

Admittedly, not all creationists are guilty of this behavior. The vocal minority, however, is the 'face' that is shown to evolutionists and, to be honest, that minority is not worthy of anything more than scorn and derision. Unfortunately, the scorn and derision shown towards that minority is the 'face' that evolutionists show to creationists in return. Thus the arguments continue unabated with insults and misplaced outrage on both sides.

Now that that's out of the way

Animatronic dinosaurs. How freakin' cool is that? I wanna go (and I'll try not to get thrown out for pissing off the creationists) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 18:38      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh don't give me that bullshit. I don't give a rats ass about creationism vs evolution. What I do care about is the many pompous windbags who look down their noses on someone with a different belief system. And most of these sanctimonious snobs do it convinced of what wonderful gifts to humanity they themselves are.

As for the argument that evolutionists don't go into churches blah, blah, blah .. that's just boneheaded. Church attendance isn't compelled, education is. And for most, that means public education. But the evolutionists certainly have no problem going into the pockets of those church goers to grab their money to support their causes. And those same church goers pay the taxes that pay the salaries of the teachers who teach evolution as fact, not theory, and mock the kids and their families who believe in God.

Those who believe in God (and I'm talking about true believers here, not pew-warmers who go to be "seen" or make business contacts) [Roll Eyes] I'm talking about people who believe with all their heart and soul, what they believe is static. It's the same faith that's been here for thousands of years now, and they believe in a God who said He was the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Scientists on the other hand, believe in the latest findings. A thousand years ago they believed the earth was flat. They were wrong. It's possible they are wrong about other things, as well. It's just as possible that the God-believers are wrong too. My point is that there is a hell of a lot we don't know and it sucks when assholes get all uppity about what they think they do know, which very well may be different than what they will know and believe in twenty years.

Why is it so fucking unreasonable to keep your mouth shut and live and let live.

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 18:57      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Btw, a lot of you know that Steen and I are good friends. Arguments or "discussions," [Big Grin] like this don't change that. We might fight it out on some things, but we remain friends. [thumbsup]
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 19:31      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because the blood sacrifice of animals was symbolic of the blood sacrifice Jesus was to make. It was a reminder that it took the death of something/someone innocent to excuse the sins of another.

From what I've read in an English translation of the Talmud, Jewish tradition says that Abel gave the best of his flock with a joyful heart while Cain gave some okay fruits and veggies and really didn't like the idea of giving it to God anyway.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture