homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Relative prices of liquids... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Relative prices of liquids...
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 21, 2007 11:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the most expensive commonly-used liquid? ....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/consumers/liquid-expensive.html

look where printer ink is! [Eek!]

I love it when Nitro puts a dab of Light Cyan behind her ear. [hearts] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 12:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am surpirsed that liquid niotrogen is cheaper then gasoline. I wonder if you could take advantage of the temperature difference (peltier) and the expansion of the nitrogen(piston engine) to build a really efficient auto with harmless nitrogen as the waste product?

edit: I am surprised semen isn't on the list. I woul d think it would be high up on the list.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 13:24      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
semen isn't on the list. I would think it would be high up on the list.
Why? People are usually begging to give the stuff away.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 13:28      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like wine, I am sure the cost of the semen is proportional to the quality of the sample. Anybody can take a bath in wine, yet very few are in a position for thier tongue to taste the best.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 13:35      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka....spit, or swallow?

When you are wine-tasting, I mean... [blush]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 20:26      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Some Semen is more sought after

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 22:12      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did this get to be a thread about seminal fluids?!

Goodness gracious, if sex is all you think about . . .

. . . you're not alone. [Wink]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 09:52      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think printer ink is expensive? Check out scorpion venom.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 12:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
You think printer ink is expensive? Check out scorpion venom.

But can you get it in cyan?

Good to see you around lately, Peebs.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 12:34      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, good to see you back on the board Peebs...

We missed you!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 13:17      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I filled 'er up at $2.95 a gallon. milk is more than that.
according to AlGore the price of gas going up is a good thing because it will keep more people from buying gas. He said this shortly before boarding a private jet.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 14:53      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
I filled 'er up at $2.95 a gallon. milk is more than that.
according to AlGore the price of gas going up is a good thing because it will keep more people from buying gas. He said this shortly before boarding a private jet.

Ooooh, but see, he hired trees to suck up HIS bad air. Now, the damage to the upper layers of the atmosphere that he's done? Well, you know how it is about trees. They don't try hard enough!!

"Do What I Pontificate Not What I Do" Eco Awards also go to:

L. A. Mayor Antonio "Yukon" Villaraigosa and Leo "But . . . But I Can't Always Fly Commercial!" DiCaprio

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 17:32      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just about anyone campaigning on ecological awareness matters will probably be open to charges of hypocrisy, because first, we all live complicated lives in an artificial society, and secondly the campaigner will usually be someone rich and famous rather than a hair shirted nature boy. However it is perhaps more useful to address the issues, rather than indulge in ad hominem attacks. I happen to think also that hypocrisy is rather overrated as a moral flaw, as only very boring people can be utterly consistent in everything they do. Most of the rest of us are, thank God, riven with contradictions and inconsistencies.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 18:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if we spent as much time and energy doing stuff as we do making excuses for not doing stuff. Fsck DiCaprio. Fsck Gore. This isn't about them. This is about you. What are YOU, the person in front of the screen, the person who's sneering at this post and getting ready to make some cute, pointless, sarcastic comment that will make you feel all warm and witty inside, what are YOU (and I ask myself this question as well) doing to make a difference? And don't spout off a bunch of bullshit about how there's no difference that needs to be made. The reasons to conserve aren't just environmental - they're geo-political as well.

Almost no one "does enough". Those who do get dismissed by the rest of us as hippie whack-jobs. But there's a huge gulf between enough and nothing, and the fact that you can't reach enough, either due to circumstances or lack of will or some combination of the two, is not a reason to do nothing.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 8 posted May 22, 2007 19:30      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family of four lives in a small second-floor condo, uses all-flourescent lamps. Our electric is slightly above baseline; our gas and water are below. I walk to the grocery store with one of those black little-old-lady rolly-carts a netting bag and two linen bags. I don't drive my children the 5 miles each way to school -- they take a bus. We recycle everything we can, which isn't much, here, sadly. I use open windows to cool the house and closed windows and sweaters when it gets cool. When it gets hot, we use a fan to move air. I keep my lights off as soon as the sun is up and they stay off until it gets too dim to see.

WS used to plant trees in our old hometown on weekends, and we had water regulator shower heads and timers and motion sensors on all of our lights.

So yes, we do what we can, though we do have things we indulge in. There's my complaint. I live a life not too far from how they say we all should live, yet they won't sacrifice. THAT IS WHAT MAKES ME GOD DAMNED MAD XANTHINE! That's the only reason I do complain -- because we DO sacrifice and it is not God-damned enough!

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 06:36      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine [Applause] [Applause] You are as shrewd as ever.

JustJess I think your anger and scorn is misplaced. I understand where Chesty is coming from. Since the argument for doubting the connection between human activity and climate change is almost non-existent, why look farther than that old right wing standby, the character attack? But with you it's different because you seem to accept the importance of this issue, (though I suspect that you and WS lean to the right on most other things). You seem to be demanding perfection in the system of government, and that politicians should be saints. The whole point of democracy is that it acknowledges that politicians are as flawed as the rest of us. However having complete cynicism about the people and process can only lead to the kind of voter apathy which gives opportunities to the worst and most factional of politicians. Look to the current state of the Republican party for an example. It is more profitable surely to think about where we are and where we are going. It surely is better that Gore is lending his prestige and energy to this crusade than not? I hope also that you are not one of those on the right that believes all their opponents must be vilified and dragged down, whether they deserve it or no, as that attitude is is one that truly threatens freedom, as a one party democracy isn't one.

I suppose that all I am saying is that an unreasonable faith in the future is necessary for all of us, so it is better therefore to see the glass half full than half empty. Politicians like the rest of us need encouragement as well as criticism, and even if you think of them as insects, you usually catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 06:52      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err... I cycle to work (he says coweringly... hoping to stay on Xanthine's good side. [Wink] ) Of course I only cycle 'cos I'm a cheap bastard*, what with the ever-gouging gas prices here.

* tight as a gnat's chuff, some might say

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 07:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I do? Well, let's start with a mew culpat about what I don't: I know I abuse of single-servings and frozen meals, and I won't deprive myself of my favorite cookies because they are over-wrapped. But I use the bus to go to work and back (although I may start going with in-line skating, if I can just put my butt into it - err, change "butt" for "feet", will you? [crazy] ), and bought the most fuel-economical car for when the bus isn't my best option. I also changed most of my light bulbs for energy-saver ones (still have the bathroom ones to change, and then a few halogens). I recycle - and even reuse - everything I can, which means it's usually food, hygiene products and the rare not-really recyclable plastic wrapping that goes to the landfill: on average, one kitchen-size bag per month. Oh, and I have a reusable bag for grocery shopping, and will often refuse additional bags when I buy small items.

As for Gore and all, let's face it: their job require them to always be on the run; bus isn't an option (too slow), and commercial planes departure time won't be changed to fit their schedules. But if their lectures can change enough minds so people start pressuring governements into imposing stricter environmental guidelines for industries, then I think we can allow them their use of not-quite-environmental transportation means. I doubt they would make as much an impression if they only video-conferenced rather than be there in person, so until we find better ways of moving people around, that will be the price to pay.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 07:42      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The environment?

Ahh hell and I thought this was just comparison shopping for those of us that bitch about gas prices. Granted I buy more gasoline than I have scorpion venom, cologne, or Starbucks coffee.

So what do I do to help out with the environment?

Absolu-fucking-lutely nothing. Guess I won't be getting any bonus points from Greenpeace or Al Gore. And I am heartbroke about it too. [cry baby]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 08:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Err... I cycle to work (he says coweringly... hoping to stay on Xanthine's good side. [Wink] ) Of course I only cycle 'cos I'm a cheap bastard*, what with the ever-gouging gas prices here.

* tight as a gnat's chuff, some might say

Dude, my rant wasn't directed at people not doing enough. It was directed at people making excuses and whining. I don't do enough either. But I don't use celebrities to justify my choices.

Shroom, do you turn the lights out when you leave a room? If you do, that's something. And it's really, incredibly, ridiculously easy. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 08:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poll How do you get to work?

I am surprised at how many people here do not drive to work.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 08:57      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
so until we find better ways of moving people around, that will be the price to pay.

Where there's a will, there's a way. [Big Grin]
 -

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 09:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Shroom, do you turn the lights out when you leave a room? If you do, that's something. And it's really, incredibly, ridiculously easy. [Razz]

Of course I turn out the lights. I hardly need them. The three 17" CRT's keep the place lit up nicely. [Wink]

I guess that is where my little smart assed remark came from too. I don't justify anything I do. I do what I do, because that's what I do. Simple really.

Though to listen to Gore and DiCaprio kinda burns me. Oh look, another has-been celebrity telling me how I should live my life and take care of our world while they are out globe-trotting. Or bitch about animal rights while wearing the skin of some small animal on their emaciated bodies. Tempts me to go out to the beach with a video camera, a gallon of Rotella, carry a baseball bat and go baby seal hunting.

I don't use too much electricity and try to avoid going too many places that waste gas. But honestly, that has nothing to do with environmental concerns as much as, like Spungo, I am a cheap bastard.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 09:46      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
The whole point of democracy is that it acknowledges that politicians are as flawed as the rest of us.

So you are saying that americans aboslutely do not get the point of democracy?

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 09:50      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Yes, good to see you back on the board Peebs...

We missed you!

Aww, thanks. I'll make an effort to be around more often.

And to Xanthine:

The things I'm doing to help the environment, number one is stopping with one child. Josh is getting a vasectomy soon and we're both really happy and feel like our family is complete with just the one child. We may adopt later, but we're not creating a new person to use more resources.

We live within walking distance of where we both work, two grocery stores, a post office, our bank, the drug store, the laundromat, clothing stores, and three coffee shops. The only time we drive is to visit family in Sacramento or Colusa or if Josh has to do in home care for someone. We drive less than 5,000 miles per year.

All of our lights in the apartment have fluorescent bulbs.

We use cloth diapers for Kaitlin.

We (almost) always bring our own bags to the grocery store.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture