homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Peanut Butter, The Atheist's Nightmare!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Peanut Butter, The Atheist's Nightmare!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 01, 2007 16:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, that's it... I'm a believer!!! [Eek!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

[crazy]

via
http://scienceblogs.com/mikethemadbiologist/2007/03/creationist_sez_peanut_butter.php

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2007 16:45      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is ridiculously funny, yet terribly sad... [shake head] Talk about grasping at straws!

"In fact the entire food industry of the world, depends on the fact that evolution doesn't happen."

Oh my... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2007 17:27      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That made me hungry.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2007 20:24      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched all the videos of this show...I really needed that laugh. [Big Grin]

Thanks Snaggy.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2007 21:32      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really see how that follows - let's instead go with cloning. God didn't create a clone... man did. In fact, it didn't even work until we got it right. So... does that make man god?

Hey, makes more sense than a banana [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 03:02      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naturally any acceptance of Darwinian thought is of course completely incompatible with Christian faith. [Wink] But I am confused because according to one of the (ahem - excellent)videos linked here, it's the banana that is the atheist's worst nightmare. (Warning - the other site linked in that article is several steps beyond NSFW)

OK guys what's your worst nightmare peanut butter, a banana, or a peanut butter and banana sandwich?

I find peanut butter repulsive, so I must be an atheist.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 04:20      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want a PB/jelly sandwich now.

Why go against the fundamentalist creationists? It's too easy. I don't mean to mock anyone here, but there are gaping holes in the thinking. Still, it's a *belief*. Doesn't necessarily require a whole chunk of science behind it. Kind of think it's just mean to attack them like that.

Unless they're the kind teaching this stuff to kids. Then, hmm.

"When I open the jar of peanut butter... I look in there and... *pause of suspense* there's no new life."

Loved this part - did anyone else vaguely start to hope that there would be? [Razz]

Someone should tell them that evolution takes a little longer than the time it takes to open a jar of peanut butter though.

*watches it again*

Really, really want a sandwich.

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 06:52      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah - cause vacuum sealing, flash pasteurization, irradiation, and preservatives have no effect on microbes [Wink]

What I like to argue is eugenics vs. creationism... if eugenics isn't god's will, then how is it possible? It's simply evolution sped up, after all. And in the case of Mules it can produce (blasphemy) animals that are unable to procreate. So... how's that work?

I think the atheist's nightmare is that people refuse to believe in the world around them, and would rather believe in fairies.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 16:02      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 16:41      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with most of the posts here, in one way or another, and find the original video to be flawed in more than a few ways. Too bad this kind of stuff gets around, causing folks to think that all of us who believe (a choice, btw) in the God of Creation are equally flawed in our thinking.

First of all, they didn't even get the terms right. It is not the "theory of evolution" that they're attempting so weakly to debunk, it is the notion of spontaneous generation - not even remotely the same thing.

There are many today calling themselves Christian who attempt to base all their faith on a collection of Holy Writ called the "Bible". A great many of these do not know where these writings come from, nor how they came to be in our possession, and nothing about their authenticity or lack thereof. They have vague or erroneous knowledge of Church history or none at all. And many proudly cling to this ignorance (also a choice, fwiw) as though it makes them and their professed set of beliefs somehow "holier". May God bless their pointed little heads.

In my own experience, the greatest majority of these folks, no matter what label they take on regarding practice, belief, denomination, whatever - have no clue as to the basis or origin of any of their beliefs. The whole fundamentalist backlash and knee-jerk concerns about Darwin's proposals are uncalled for at the very least.

As early as the forth century, St. Augustine - a pagan convert and Doctor of the Church, clearly explained that the first book of the Christian Scriptures (Genesis, by name) was not meant to be taken literally - it is not a manual of science. He went on to explain that the logical evolution of species makes perfect sense for those of us choosing to believe in a God who is capable of ongoing work and ongoing involvement in His creation.

Sorry. I got a bit whipped-up I guess.

[blush]

Anyhow.. My point would be that those who wish to be faithful have a greater obligation to KNOW what the hell they are talking about before being so willing to export and teach absolute nonsense. The Church has continually (though not flawlessly) taught this for nearly two thousand years.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 17:22      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Sorry. I got a bit whipped-up I guess.

[blush]

No apology necessary. I suppose there will always be people who find life too difficult and complicated, and want a religion that is a simple clear instruction manual that reduces everything to black and white and takes away all of those difficult morally ambiguous decisions. Even so, and even though I have no faith, I still resent these idiot literalists, that give all religion such a bad name. They are of course also the backbone of the religious right, who may well have harmed religion even more than they have politics.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 17:46      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] This video link is also being discussed on the preachy, yet entertaining Dawkins forum. I, myself, am much more entertained by the banana demonstration because it's so much more blatantly homoerotic. I have eaten two pbj sandwiches today and I believe the Evangelical Christians may be to blame. I just can't help seeking out excuses to open my peanut-butter jar. Is there life yet? No? Why, God, why is there no new life in my peanut-butter? My lack of faith is crumbling with the crusts of each sandwich... (Which I cut off, of course, because the crusts are icky. [crazy] )

I wouldn't actually mind all these "scientific" attacks on the theory (yes, it's just a theory) of Evolution if there were actually any science in them. So far, however, I haven't found any arguments that can't be knocked down thoroughly by someone with minimal training in Biology and time to look up a little research. If you guys know of any GOOD evidence for creation, or any links where I might find it, please let me know. It's difficult for me to accept that so many people can be so stupid and I've put a lot of effort into finding a good argument to back their cause. So far I've been unsuccessful, but a Humanist has a difficult time admitting when Humans suck.

I'm prepared to accept Evolution as a pretty good explanatory theory, but I'm unable to accept that the Evangelicals can be as stupid as they appear.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 18:50      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps God knows its gross to have stuff growing in your peanut butter?

I'd be pissed off at him if he allowed that to happen.

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 19:04      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we actually can all agree here to one point - these people are "asshats" that actually do more harm than good to the cause they claim to espouse...

gg is a man of faith - I cannot knock his faith though I am unable to hold it myself. But that is not the point.

These "peanut butter and banana" eedjits are no help to him or us - they make both sides feel cheapened by making a mockery of both sides of the argument

I have read scads of foolish talk abut how the "religious" want to take us to X and an equal amount of BS about how the "unbelievers" want to take us to Y

Surely we can sensibly see that a real understanding of science or a "proper" understanding of "religion" does not have to be a contradiction - Darwin was a committed Christian and was very hurt by the reaction against him personally - he did not deny "God" in fact as I understand it he saw the whole evolution thing as a proof of the magnificence and "glory" of God's creation

Many deep space astronomers and theoretical physicists
have (I believe) come to embrace if not "religion" a belief that this didn't happen by chance...

To each their own - if your faith enhances your life and harms no one else I cannot see any problem with it

The banana and peanut butter loons are neither scientists nor religious scholars - they are just more "youtube" idiots

We should all just treat them with the contempt they deserve and have a good laugh at their expense and leave real philosophical discussions to those who actually have a clue what they are talking about

[Big Grin]

Be excellent to one another and party on dudes...
(the greatest distillation of religious writings ever made - by Bill and Ted, and no the irony is not lost on me - that is the whole gag is it not?)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 19:18      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill and Ted? Bill and Teeeeddd??!!??

Serenak old buddy, luv you death and all that jive, but Bill and Ted?

No!

Wayne and Garth, man. Wayne and Garth. Party on!

They're the real heroes behind the movement, followed closely by the Mackenzie Brothers, eh?
Bill and Ted are a trailing 3rd place entry to that party. [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 01:03      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
garlicguy wrote:
I agree with most of the posts here, in one way or another, and find the original video to be flawed in more than a few ways. Too bad this kind of stuff gets around, causing folks to think that all of us who believe (a choice, btw) in the God of Creation are equally flawed in our thinking.

garlicguy, you can be as whipped up or creamy or chunky as you like and I promise I'll respect your beliefs. Even though we all know that I'm right and you're wrong. I hope I haven't implied in my earlier post that a particular religious view is incorrect. To be honest, I'm envious of those who are able to enjoy religion. Just being preemptively sensitive here because I understand how touchy an issue religion can become.

I view the cheesy Evangelicals as more of a political menace than a religious force. Creationists will only feel my scorn if they try to teach creation to my son and only if they try to teach a specific creation myth to my son. If they wanted to teach a mixture of creation myths we'd have no argument, as long as they also supported better education funding and expanded music, language and art programs. Sex ed would be nice, too, but as I'll be having that talk with my son this summer it doesn't matter very much to me. Nothing turns a kid off sex like having a Biology major explain it to them [Big Grin] .

But seriously, I ate two more peanut butter sandwiches today, bringing the total up to four. Damn those Evangelicals and their hilarious arguments for creation! All this edible "science" is ruining my girlish figure!

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 10:45      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries, mate! (Note how I niftily mimicked our Aussie brothers? [Wink] ) I took no offense at your comments and appreciate your respecting another's beliefs. I try to do the same, though not always as successfully as I'd like.

If the God of the universe is who I perceive Him to be, there's no chance He needs help from me to defend Him. It's much more a matter of keeping those who choose to remain terminally uninformed from totally muddying the discussion(s) or dialog(s).

As for the PBJ's, I seem to recall reading recently that the current scientific community's take on them is that they are a health food once again. I don't know that the religious right has weighed in on the matter as yet, but, if not, that will only be a matter of time. [Razz]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 11:59      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Chuck, the fact that evolution supposedly takes place extreeemely gradually over millions of years and that fact that we've been conducting "food industry experiments" with peanut butter for a little over a hundred...somehow that doesn't enter into your equation as to why we don't occasionally see "new life" swimming around inside? My mind is so boggled after watching this, I wouldn't even know where to begin arguing a counter view -- so very many places to start!

Why, oh why, do so many otherwise intelligent people think "believing in God" and "science" have to be mutually exclusive? Dr. Francis Collins, director of the Human Genome Project, doesn't think so. From his essay:
"I have found there is a wonderful harmony in the complementary truths of science and faith. The God of the Bible is also the God of the genome. God can be found in the cathedral or in the laboratory. By investigating God's majestic and awesome creation, science can actually be a means of worship."

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 05, 2007 13:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is the cat inside the peanut butter jar dead or alive?
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 13:28      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes!
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 13:41      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the cat being put in the jar...
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 14:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said before I believe many scientists on the "bleeding edge" of physics and astronomy (and probably elsewhere) see no conflict in belief in, if not the God of the Bible, then at least a "higher being" and science - because the rules only hold up just as they are - mess with gravity or the nuclear forces or even just the little bit of "magic" that makes water a liquid where it really has no right being one and "poof" the whole shooting match isn't there anymore.

Me I am more concerned by Schrodinger's Dishwasher - until I open it the dishes could be either clean or dirty! (in this case the unknown variable being my 2 year old who likes to tamper with the buttons on the machine [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 14:17      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad they didn't open a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter . . .

Life Begins in Peanut Butter . . .

That is a better proof that God exists for me. The sheer irony proves a cosmic to have a huge sense of humor to pull this on the X-tian Fundamentalists.

I love the whole "God made the a banana perfect food" video with Kirk Cameron. After Winter Solstice stopped laughing, he explained in detail how the modern banana had been engineered to possess those God-given qualities . . .

By people.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture