homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Northern Lights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Northern Lights
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 16:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All_______________________There is a rare Geomagnetic storm near the North Pole so those of us that live in the Northern Hemisphere will beable to see the Northern Lights tonight, The Mrs MoMan and my self watched for a few minutes while we took out the garbage, The Peak viewing is supposed to be Near 0400 -0500 GMT so if you have a chance tonight go take a gander. Thursday night Friday morning go take a peek.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 17:42      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.. might actually see something with the city lights? Last time I saw some aurora was about 5 years ago... It was cool. [Smile] Maybe if I have trouble sleeping I'll check it out tonight!
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 19:38      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, nothing for me, here. Maybe it's too early. But I think the real reason may be too much light pollution to the northeast of me from the city.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 20:12      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn, it looks like there's some light cloud cover here. :-p
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 20:13      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw them on my drive from Indiana to Grand Rapids tonight. Also saw a shooting star.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 03:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty_______________________Tonights display some times looked like light cloud cover but if you had continued to watch they might have changed.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 05:59      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.. I thought the skies looked a bit orangy red.... *sigh*
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 06:16      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that what the glow was last night?
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 06:27      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the auroral activity may continue this weekend!

Spaceweather.com

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 02:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, pretty !

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture