homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » earthquakes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: earthquakes
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 07:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember the plot of the original superman movie? Think that man being able to cause massive earthquakes is science fiction? I did. I was wrong.

A magnitude 3.5 earth quake hit Basel last night. (where I live) This in not extrodinary as the city was actually destroyed in 1356 by an earthquake. What is interesting is that it was caused by man. They are drilling a 5Km hole in basel to tap geothermal energy on the fault line. They were expecting this to project to create earthquakes, but no big ones. I had no idea humans could create somethign as destructive as an earthquake.

It was my first ever earquake. Anybody else been in a bigger one? It was fun. I was on a private tour of Basels natural history museum at the time. It was after the museum had closed, and as part of a christmas party someone had arranged a private tour of the musuems collection that is not on display. The museum was old, dark empty, after hours, and then an earthquake. Pretty cool/erie in my book.

The only thing that would have made the tour cooler was if the tour guide would have been a geologist and not a palaeontologist.

EDIT

Found a picture of what they did to cause the earthquake here.

It looks just like a geothermal heating diagram would but they went much deeper (5K) so they would be able to generate 17 megawatts of energy. There always seems to be problems with all these new "clean" energy sources.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 07:20      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've felt a few in my lifetime. The most recent one was on my last day in Tokyo in October. I woke up to some gentle rocking. Apparently, it was a 5.x just off the coast of Chiba. Prior to that I have felt one back around November 1986 or '87. I was still in Boston but the quake was centered somewhere up in Quebec. Then I felt another one sometimes around 1996/97 here in Montreal. It felt like a truck rumbled by.
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 07:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a a lot of earthquakes in the area I live in, but they are rarely large enough for most people to notice. Most of the time, they're about as energetic as the garbage truck going past on the street outside, but not as loud.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 08:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka____________________I have never been in or near one however it is claimed that there are fault lines in Michigan (USA). I have often wondered if I took three piezo strain gauges and wired them to a weight in a triangular suspension pattern and then out put the results into an old pentium if I could chart vibrations.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 08:31      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TUAW had a link to a seismometer program running on OSX that used the motion sensors in PowerBooks and MacBooks.

Check it out!

--------------------
MMG

Posts: 30 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 10:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You felt a 3.5???

I've been in three quakes, all around 4 on the Richter scale. One I missed completely, or if I felt it I attributed it to my siblings who were rioting in the same room. The second I saw the pictures on the walls moving, the third felt like someone kicked my chair except no one was around. Nothing fell over, I wasn't even sure it happened until I turned on the radio and discovered that's all anybody wanted to talk about.

There was a 6.something that hit Seattle four or five years ago. I wasn't there, but my family told me it shook pretty hard. My dad was on his way to a doctor's appointment and thought he'd blown a tire. And then he parked his car, wandered into the hospital, failed to notice that the place had been evacuated, and, along with some other people, groused up and down the stairs looking for his doctor and bitching about how the elevators were out of commision. Mom took cover under her desk, as did my youngest sister at school. My bro was in gym class so the teacher had them line up against an interior wall (better than nothing). The house came through just fine, as did all but the oldest buildings in the city. Except the viaduct along the harbor needed some repair, and now it needs either a replacement or a hardcore retrofit. People refer to that quake as the Near Big One because it could have been so much worse. But the faultlines in the Seattle area run deep, and so the quakes also happen deep.

There was also a smallish quake a bit north of where I went to college in upstate NY my junior year. A road cracked. I saw the weatherguy trying to talk about it on a local news channel and he was so out of his depth I wasn't sure if I shoul laugh at him or feel sorry for him.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 10:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
You felt a 3.5???

Yes, I was between 1 and 1.5 kilometers from the epicenter. This really shook the entire building I was in.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 11:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Southern California. 'nuff said.

Earthquakes are nothing out here. But if it rains, watch out. Water falling from the sky creates mental blockage. I think it is the moisture in the air reacting badly to the chemicals in people's hair...

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 13:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experience one minor earth tremor, many years ago.

'Twas nothing like they're portrayed in the movies, it was very gentle, like being on a boat when a wave passes.

There's a lot to be said for living in geologically 'borning' places.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 14:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Australia's geology boring or just not active? There is a difference, y'know.

Edit: Shroom, maybe it's just disorientation and confusion. I imagine water coming out of the sky can be scary if you aren't used to it. Kinda like how I used to get nervous if it was sunny for more than a week straight (now I can last about two weeks before I start worrying that everything's going to dry up and die).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 19:58      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been in several, AJ I think the strongest was 6 something. They can be quite scary, as it literally feels like the ground below you is dropping away and you have nothing to stand on. I'm glad you had fun though. [Smile]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 05:49      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
I've been in several, AJ I think the strongest was 6 something. They can be quite scary, as it literally feels like the ground below you is dropping away and you have nothing to stand on. I'm glad you had fun though. [Smile]

[Eek!]

AJ /= TFD

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 10:00      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first one : 1988, 5,9. Although far away from the epicentre, it felt as if the ground wanted to be an ocean for a moment: it moved like a wave.

This is probably the one BooBooKitty is talking about.. I was in Quebec City at that time, and I felt it too.

And then, there's this one I inquired about to other members of GC, a few months ago.

That's about it.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 16:12      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of man made earthquakes, they had several hundred school children all jump up and down enmasse at about the same time a few years back. Generated a 3 something earthquake as picked up on the seismographs.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 06:16      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
This is my first one : 1988, 5,9. Although far away from the epicentre, it felt as if the ground wanted to be an ocean for a moment: it moved like a wave.

This is probably the one BooBooKitty is talking about.. I was in Quebec City at that time, and I felt it too.

And then, there's this one I inquired about to other members of GC, a few months ago.

That's about it.

Ahh! It was the one in 1988 that I felt when I was still in Boston. It happened right after Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the data, Stereo!

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 08:56      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've felt 3 eartquakes that I am aware of.

The first was sometime in the late 80's in Illinois. I don't knowthe magnitude, but it was centered somewhere on the New Madrid Fault. I haven't been able to find any concrete information about it online today.

The second was on the morning of June 28, 1992 when I was going through Marine combat training at Camp Pendleton. It was a 6.3 centered somewhere near Big Bear. Apparently there was a 7.3 several hours earlier but a little further away in Landers that I didn't notice, possibly because I was asleep from exhaustion at the time.

The third one everybody knows as the Northridge Quake which was a 6.7 at 4:30 in the morning of January 17, 1994. That was the most memorable and can still remember how I woke up to the building moving around me. I was stationed at MCAS El Toro in Orange County at the time so I wasn't in the zone where most of the damage occured, though there was certainly some minor, by comparison, damage where we were.

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 18:39      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I have been through 3 in Geneva, but all around 4 to 4.5 and with their epicentre around 60 kms away. People seem to forget that the Alps were created by Italy running into Europe and that every couple of years in moves a bit closer.

Anyway I have only really felt one and that was a slight tremour, but what makes it more impressive is when you suddenly realise that all the overhead projectors are swaying as well as the light fixtures.

Otherwise there was the one that happened when I worked at CERN and it set off over 200 hundred fire alarms and knocked the LEP 5mm out of alignment setting off over a hundred more. Now that was some aftermath to see. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 04:19      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Is Australia's geology boring or just not active? There is a difference, y'know.

Depends if you like playing with seismic tomography or not... [Smile]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 06:19      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
quote:
Originally posted by boo:

[Eek!]

AJ /= TFD

[crazy]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 10:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experienced the one I think Stereo is talking about when I lived on the East end of Toronto. But all we got were some aftershock/tremor type activity that basically made the place shake a little.

My father nudged me on the couch and said, "stop that."

He thought I was doing something shaking the couch.

I said nothing, figuring he was just mental.

He did it again. I said, "I'm not doing anything."

Then he noticed the chandelier in the dining room was rocking ever so slightly.

That's when he realised what was going on.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 3 posted January 17, 2007 10:13      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the city where I live (Bucaramanga), earthshakings are pretty common, ocurring daily.
Nido de Bucaramanga
However, the risk of an earthquake is imminent, so everybody here carries bottles of water and stuff with themselves [ohwell] , but fortunately most dangerous earthquakes occur away from here [Smile]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture