homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Published! Finally!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Published! Finally!
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 13:36      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, for the few people in the world who are excited by in-situ infrared spectroscopy of microwave heated catalytic reactions, have a look at my paper.
linky

And when I say my paper, I mean I wrote it! So I'm quite proud, even if no-one understands / cares.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 14 posted October 26, 2006 13:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked and I have no clue what it's about, but congratulations none the less!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 26, 2006 14:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, congrats!

OK, so when can I heat my house with microwaves? [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 14:43      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you want to come out medium rare Snaggy [Big Grin]

And well done Littlefish! [thumbsup] [Applause]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 19:02      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As papers go, that's actually pretty accessible [Smile]

Congratulations on the publication! Hopefully I'll be able to make the same announcement myself in a week or so...

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 26, 2006 19:59      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started reading it, then thought I'd better read those I'll use as reference for my master. So I went and did something else. [crazy]

Many congratulations to you! (And I hope to see the day I'll be able to say the same!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 26, 2006 21:59      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go, littlefish! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 22:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations indeed, Dr. littlefish. [Wink] Mind you, I've not even tried to open the document, as I know it's completely outside of my area of expertise...and I believe you linked us to it back when it was unpublished. [Smile]

If I can ever say the same thing myself ("Published!") w.r.t. a dissertion, you'd be welcome to read it, but it'd probably be equally different. [Wink] I did write my undergraduate thesis paper such that most folks could probably read it, but that's an entirely different story. (And I tend to try and make my writing 'accessible,' but that's not nearly as possible for a very serious publication.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 22:59      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooo!!! Pretty picture! [Applause]

/me is entertained by even the smallest things.

I'm sure your paper is quite intelligent and well-written, but you're right, it's above my head at this hour of the night. The graphic just grabbed my attention and held it...

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 01:22      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Congratulations indeed, Dr. littlefish. [Wink] Mind you, I've not even tried to open the document, as I know it's completely outside of my area of expertise...and I believe you linked us to it back when it was unpublished.
I probably linked to my thesis, which is online. This is the first proper journal article though.
They also mentioned that it might get promoted as a "hot article", which means that they like it so much that they use it in publicity to show what excellent papers they publish. We did consider trying to get it put on the cover, but they make you pay extra to cover the printing costs.

quote:
Oooo!!! Pretty picture!
Not that pretty - the colours have got washed out from the original. I have the printing proofs, which are better, and the original, which is best! Things have got a bit screwed in the RGB to CMYK to RGB conversions.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 19:38      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job, littlefish. [thumbsup] Seems like you're more of a "big"fish, now. [Big Grin] I remember the excitement of being published for the first time. I hope you have many more opportunities. [Smile]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 09:41      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 13:05      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats [Smile] [Smile] [Applause] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture