homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Space Elevator

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Space Elevator
cutegeek99
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5826

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted September 27, 2006 12:11      Profile for cutegeek99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read recently, though it is not an old topic in science circles, of scientists and private investors planning on making a functioning space elevator to replace the fule powerd rockets to reach our atmosphere. Would the space elevator be a good application to replace the space shuttles since NASA wants to retire the space shuttles, or are the scientists and private investors barking up the wrong carbon nanotube?
Posts: 1 | From: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 13:27      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This idea cannot replace the shuttle, though it is what we should be investing in for the future. The technology is not near ready yet. I am not just speaking of the carbon nanotubes. There are other problems to solve such as protecting the climber from radiation and protecting the nanotubes from tiny particle sized meteorites.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 16:46      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we are best looking elsewhere. I think we would be better of inventing a craft which can fly us easier and safer to the space station and behond. Even though i'm not remotly close to being a astronomist the idea of an elavator directly to the space stations seems like a waster of money and intelectual brain power.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 17:39      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the space elevator concept is quite viable and nearly within current technical bounds. Essentially you need a very strong and very light monofilament cable and a lift station in a geosynchronous orbit.

The costs of setting this up are pretty astronomical though and we haven't quite got the cable required, but once set up, the energy required to get equipment into orbit is minimal compared to a rocket launch and in the long run it's the practical way to move industry into orbit in a large scale or form the bridgehead to build spaceships in orbit for cheaper exploration of more distant space.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 05:57      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it on this forum I first heard about the Aerovator?

It sounds like an interesting idea, anyway, and has some pretty big advantages over the space elevator.

Personally, I love the idea of a cable reaching up into space. Sounds like the sort of thing I want to see photos of.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 28, 2006 20:19      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zwilnik just likes the idea because he expects to play Airburst up there [Smile]
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2006 15:07      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think as with most things the right people need to put their money in the right place. I can see this happening more readily than anything useful being done with the shuttle (other than joy rides, if you count that as useful).

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture