homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Help Me! Linux does not play well with OS X!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help Me! Linux does not play well with OS X!
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 10:44      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,
I hope someone can help me. I know that I don't post often (okay, almost never), but, I still hope someone can help. I have two computers, one PPC Mac Mini running 10.4.7 and one POS PC dual booting Win2K and openSuSE 10.1.

The setup is this: For various reasons that can not be rectified in the foreseeable future, the PC is networked through the Mac, and the Mac is connected to the router wirelessly. I have Network Sharing turned on in the Mac, and the PC can connect to the Internet whether running Win2K or SuSE.

Here's the problem. When the POS (it's an old HP with nary an original part to be seen) is running Win2K I can connect from OS X, read and write to my shares without any problem. From Win2K I can do the same. However, when running SuSE, I can connect from OS X using SAMBA, but can only read from the shares, even though I have the shares set for read and write access. My login to both the Mac and SuSE box are the same, including the passwords (please, no lectures on security issues). It looks as though I have the latest version of SAMBA for SuSE, and after searching through Google on this issue it looks as though other people have had similar problems.

Okay, before I forget, other pertinent info: The PC has two physical drives. The second drive is used for storage and formatted as FAT32 (for read and write accesss from the Mac). The first drive is the boot drive with Win2K and SuSE. The Win2K partition is FAT32 and the SuSE partition is reiserFS. I am attempting to write to the FAT32 partitions only. Also, the PC is connected through wired Ethernet to the Mac.

Do any of you know what might be wrong? It is quite frustrating, especially since I would like to be able to run OS X and either Win2K or SuSE at the same time, while maintaining the same access privileges regardless of the OS running. I greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 07:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety________________________Is it possible to wire the PC (with both OS's on it) directly to the router? I know I had fewer problems when each comp had its own port on the router. Mac OS9, Ubunto, and WinBlows, all on seporate machines.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 11:10      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TheMoMan,
Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I am unable to connect the PC directly to the router, either wired or wirelessly (without buying a wireless adapter). I'm having a bit of a problem with buying anything else for the machine as I have sunk so much money into that thing over the last few years, the law of diminishing returns has been in effect for longer than I care to think about. [Frown] Personally, I believe that the problems with connecting OS X and SuSE to each other have to do with the networking setup. [Mad] It doesn't seem to affect Windows in the same way (although some applications seem to have problems uploading, but downloads seem fine). Is that what you're thinking? Do you know of anything other than settting up FTP servers on each machine or buying a wireless adapter that would solve the problem? It would be good to resolve this as I have a printer connected to the PC that I share out to my Macs. It would be nice to not have to boot into Windows everytime I need to print from that particular printer.

TIA.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 14:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety____________________Most Linux distros seem to work old hardware much better than the new paid for OS's. That said see if you can get your hands on a live CD of Ubuntu or Knoppix and see if the problem is Suse or your actual set up.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 20:12      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MoMan,
I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. I believe I still have a Live CD of Kubuntu laying around somewhere. I'll see if I have time over the next few days to try it out. Otherwise, I can FTP to my OS X machine from my SuSE machine. It's a hack fix, but it works.

tweety

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 07:37      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd guess that the problem you are detailing is to do with the acls within SUSE when you mount the volume that you are sharing from SAMBA.

Try suing to the user that you are logging into SAMBA as then try touching a file in the directory you are trying to write to. If this doesn't work that would mean that your SAMBA setup is perfect, but you may need to chmod your directories and/or add some options when mounting.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 07:51      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you mounting it? What options are you using {on the command line | in /etc/fstab | in smb.conf}? I'm assuming you attempted to mount as root?

I agree with the others; it sounds like a permissions problem on your SUSE setup.

If you haven't already, you may want to try connecting to the share with smbclient and seeing if you can write that way (to see whether it's a mount option).

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 10:41      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help everyone.

Okay, I can mount shares in OS X from Linux. I can see the dirs and files, I just can't write any files. I've checked and rechecked, set and reset the permissions on the Linux side. To be honest, I've installed SuSE 10.1 twice, and both times the install was a bit funky. No errors, nothing outright wrong, just didn't seem quite right. On top of that, all of a sudden, when I log into my standard user account I get an error that my .dmrc file can not be written to and the persmissions need to be 644. The file is owned by me and the persmissions are 644. I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu (the SuSE install is fairly new and I don't have anything important there) and seeing how that goes.

As far as mounting my OS X volume in SuSE, all I can get access to are the shared printers I have set up.

Again, I appreciate all the help. Hopefully, I will get some time over the weekend or next week to try to fix this. I'll let you all know when I get this working, one way or another.

tweety

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 18:56      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suggest that you have been playing around too much as root and this is why your permissions aren't working, both with the SAMBA share and also with one of your rc files.

So check the permissions on the directory where you are mounting the volume, PRIOR to mounting the volume. I've seen problems with permissions because of this.

And of course, don't miss the basics. Make sure that you user and group are correct. Make sure the appropriate samba user either owns the files or is part of a relevant group. And you can also set everything to 777 to see if that works.

Now I'm thinking this through, while all the above is useful to other Linux users and will work with ext filesystems, I believe you are trying to mount a vfat partition. In which case assuming a default mount, all the files and directories will inherit the permissions of the calling process, most likely root in this case.

To change this, you will need to pass the -o to mount and the uid=/gid= and/or umask= parameters. Check man mount for how to set umask and for all of these options. Don't forget, the options in man(8) under FAT also work with VFAT.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2006 14:26      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elvermere - I don't muck around in Linux as root anymore than I have too (login after install, setup user, make my root desktop prretty for when I do need to visit, logout of root, login as user). Also, the install is fairly sparkling new with no binaries installed that did not come from SuSE's repositories. I don't see how the permissions could have been hosed as I haven't touched the persmissions. Although, it is a persmissions problem, and I can't seem to fix it. I think the install did not go as it should have. The current setup I'm working with is the second install, the first go around wasn't "right" to begin with. I'm getting the feeling that the underlying problems I'm experiencing may have to do with some low level OS/Hardware interaction issues. Meaning, my hardware is a bit shaky (older machine, various problems over the years I don't want to get into right now), and my experience has been that Linux is more sensitive to not-quite-right hardware than Windows (not a knock against Linux, just an observation).

Anyway, if I am trying to mount the vfat partition in OS X, what should I type when I "Connect to Server"? Is it best to mount the partition from the command line? If so, what would the command be?

MoMan - I tried the Kubuntu LiveCD, no networking. At least, not anything that was obvious.

Besides my general distrust of the POS PC's hardware, I am beginning to wonder if this is a SuSE issue. I'm thinking of trying Ubuntu. I'll let you all know if it works.

tweety

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 09:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety_________________I was thinking about the troubles I had getting Ubuntu LTS onto this box. At the time I first attempted to install it only had 192Mgs of ram, Ubuntu LTS wants 256 so it built a ramdisk in a swap file. So I tell the installer script to do the auto install. All is fine untill it tries to format over the swap file. Then it told me in a script box that one or more packages did not install.

So to get the installer to work correctly I take an old small drive and a large disk and set up the large as master and the small as slave both formatted MSDOS. Now when I tell the installer to install on the Master it can use the smaller drive as SWAP. I later remove the small drive as the installer has formatted and setup the master correctly as hda1(ext2) and hda5(swap). Your mileage may vary.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture