homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » mechanical engineers corner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mechanical engineers corner
fazayal
Newbie Larva
Member # 5087

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 08:43      Profile for fazayal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi guys im a mechanical engineer....im really sad to see that nowadays engineering is equated to only computers....y r we guys silent lets speak up.....im inviting all mechanical, civil, chemical and other "real" engineers to come & speak here.... about anything.... ur job...ur studies...technical jokes..et all...i will start the first one "God is a mechanical engineer, so am I"

--------------------
if dreams are big enough...facts dont count

Posts: 6 | From: india | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2006 09:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I remember how this goes.

A group of engineers were discussing what type of enginner god was.

The ME said "Look at the perfection of the joints and the skellaton, god must be a ME. The Chem E said, look at the Krebs cycle and what not, god must be a Chem E.The EE said look at how the brain works with the electrical signals being passed back and forth, god must be a EE.

The discussion went on for hours. In the end they all decided that god must be a civil engineer because only a CE would run a sewer through a recreational area.

There were no CE's at this discussion becuase they were all off drunk somewhere.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Donnall
Newbie Larva
Member # 5214

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2006 21:32      Profile for Donnall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'OUCH' [Big Grin]
Posts: 5 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2006 19:22      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.
Civil Engineers build targets.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 15:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to share a house with a civil engineer, he was working on building a bridge at the time.
In his spare time, he built himself a bookshelf to hold his very impressive collection of books, one day, while we were eating dinner, the bookshelf exploded !

There was a loud bang, and we rushed into his room to see bits of bookshelf and books scattered uniformly throughout the room, there was even a book on top of the wardrobe at the far end of the room. We never figured out how a bookshelf can explode, and I've never been game to cross that bridge he built.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 07:36      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I used to share a house with a civil engineer, he was working on building a bridge at the time.
In his spare time, he built himself a bookshelf to hold his very impressive collection of books, one day, while we were eating dinner, the bookshelf exploded !

There was a loud bang, and we rushed into his room to see bits of bookshelf and books scattered uniformly throughout the room, there was even a book on top of the wardrobe at the far end of the room. We never figured out how a bookshelf can explode, and I've never been game to cross that bridge he built.

My guess was that the wood was not dry. after the book shelf was built the wood wanted to shrink more but it was (glued, screwed, nailed) together. The pressure build up at the joints until it exploded. Just a though. Book shelves and other things are known to warp after being built if the wood has not been aged long enough.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 16:49      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
My guess was that the wood was not dry. after the book shelf was built the wood wanted to shrink more but it was (glued, screwed, nailed) together. The pressure build up at the joints until it exploded. Just a though. Book shelves and other things are known to warp after being built if the wood has not been aged long enough.

Likely true... or it was too dry, and it expanded.... too often people (and by people, I mean the engineers that I am in school with) neglect the fact that wood is an organic medium... not like steel and ashphalt... no set formula to calculate thermal expansion, imperfections in knots and grain structures.... therefore, "bookcase go boom".

Oh, on a different note, I got picked up by a professor here to do research with some new CBN grinding equiptment that we got a grant to purchase (yeah!)

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 03:08      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
there was even a book on top of the wardrobe at the far end of the room.

How far was the room?
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 04:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
quote:
there was even a book on top of the wardrobe at the far end of the room.

How far was the room?
Largish, maybe 4 metres, give or take.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture