homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Physics question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Physics question...
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 04:47      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A high jumper, falling at -4m/s lands on a foam pit and comes to rest, compressing the pit .40m. If the pit is able to exert an avg force of 1200N on the high jumper in breaking the fall, what is the athletes mass???

Lets see who can get it the quickest?
I will make them diffucult in time.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 05:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe.logic_________________Exlax will make you you go. What is the densety of the foam, compressablity and rebound?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 08:24      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speed cannot be negative.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 08:37      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugurcan:

Maybe the foam is above the jumper. And (s)he is falling up. I saw that too and kind of wondered.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 08:38      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In my physics class we used negative speed all the time. It was to show that they were traveling in one direction instead of the opposite. It also helps when you have to calculate something with two objects traveling in opposite directions.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 10:30      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Come and work in my office - you'll find plenty of evidence of negative speed. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 10:35      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

In my physics class we used negative speed all the time. It was to show that they were traveling in one direction instead of the opposite. It also helps when you have to calculate something with two objects traveling in opposite directions.
Thats what I was trying to say. Because falling in most cases is down. So if the number is negitive it would imply that the person falling was going up.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 11:07      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax
Vf = 0(since object ends at rest)
Vi = -4 m/s
x = .4 m
0 = 16 + 2* (.4) * a
-16 = .8 * a
-20 m/s^2 = acceleration

F = Mass * acceleration
1200 N = mass * -20 m/s^2
mass = 60 kg

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 11:32      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is correct, as it is scalar, but velocity is a vector, and can be negative.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 11:33      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 11:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

Thats what I was trying to say. Because falling in most cases is down. So if the number is negitive it would imply that the person falling was going up.
Um, no.
Velocity can be negative, speed cannot.

Something about speed being a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector (speed + direction). I disremember the details, it's 30 years since I did all that stuff.

[edit] Note to self: read all the way to the end of a thread before hitting the 'reply' button.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 14:59      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax
Vf = 0(since object ends at rest)
Vi = -4 m/s
x = .4 m
0 = 16 + 2* (.4) * a
-16 = .8 * a
-20 m/s^2 = acceleration

F = Mass * acceleration
1200 N = mass * -20 m/s^2
mass = 60 kg

If the velocity is negative, and the acceleration is negative, won't the final velocity end up being even higher (more negative)?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 15:31      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clever Boy!!!! [Big Grin]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2006 19:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Mr Logic, but if you're going to be a sarky smart-alec, it's important to make sure that you're right.

Your calculations above fail to make allowance for the force of gravity on the falling object.

A 60 kg mass would experience a net force of 1200 - (60*9.8=588) = 612 N, which would produce a net decelleration of 612/60 = 10.2 m/s^2.

Your high-jumper's mass is more like 40 kg.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture