homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » The Military Applications of Silly String

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Military Applications of Silly String
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 12, 2005 20:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://cockeyed.com/citizen/silly/silly.html
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2005 20:43      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an article in one of the online newspapers about this.

The US goverment spent millions of dollars trying to find a way to avoid tripwires and booby traps and it was the SAS that discovered the trick with £1.99 cans of silly string.

Have to try and find that article again.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 09:08      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is really neat but i have one question isnt silly string flamible?

--------------------
the universe is as you perceive it so a change in perspective is a change in the universe- me november 2 2005

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 10:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is flammable. But only the accelerant is combustible. That is the real concern. But then again a little fire is much more preferable to having your body parts scattered across a city block.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 11:09      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have wasted so much time at that website! You owe me a few hours, Snaggy. [crazy]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 11:16      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't there be a military-grade version of this product labelled "not-silly at all" string?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 11:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs is right - beware of massive time consumption!

Damn lucky guy...
http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/million/million.html

But I must say that's a pretty smart idea. Budget-wise, it's also on par with the old adage about the US vs Russia w.r.t. the Fisher Space Pen. i.e. Spending a million dollars on a pen that works in space or...using a pencil. But...darn it all, I just Googled to make sure I was right on the numbers, and the first link is a Snopes.com article pointing out that while the figure is right, NASA didn't spend that money. *shrugs* Still a good story... [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 13:49      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Shouldn't there be a military-grade version of this product labelled "not-silly at all" string?

There already is one, and that is its name. (The initials were rearranged to make a more user-friendly anacronym: NASA) But it is top secret so no one can know about it. Especially not us.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 13:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

Surely the people who call bombs "Improvised Explosive Devices" could think of a better name than that.
How about "Aerosol Deployed Anti Personnel Device Detection Substance"?

I can see it now "Hey sarge, hand me a can of Aerosol Deployed Anti..." *BANG* "oh, never mind".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture