homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Building a rail gun?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Building a rail gun?
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2005 16:49      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading behind the principles behind how railguns work, like the lorenz forces and the like.

I'm wondering is it possible to do this on a small scale for experimental purposes?

All the ones i've seen designs for on the net are quite big and use a microwave oven transformer and a huge capacitor bank for power. This looks really dangerous.

I'm also wondering how i can get around the problem of needing to get the armature onto the rails at speed so it doesn't just weld onto the rails.

I suppose pretty much every geek as tried to build a railgun at one time or another.

Posts: 42 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2005 18:02      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the designs I've seen use a pneumatic injector to get the slug moving.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 02:34      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw something on the net where you could make one on a tabletop with a battery. It used tin foil for the rails, and was probably linked from Fark.com.

EDIT: Here you go!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 07:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool link, littlefish!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BronzeG3
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2590

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 15:05      Profile for BronzeG3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do some searches on hackaday.com, I think they had some good stuff from a while ago. this is a recent one Rail gun
Posts: 44 | From: VTech | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 00:12      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool. I'll have to get some magnets and give it a try.

I wonder how fast it would go if i used an old flash unit as a power source instead of a 9 volt battery.

Posts: 42 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 17:35      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some person in scotland built one that fired a shell at mach 6

--------------------
the universe is as you perceive it so a change in perspective is a change in the universe- me november 2 2005

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 19:49      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the basic concepts in the book "24 gadgets for the evil genius" I think the book is available at ThinkGeek: Electronicgadgets for the evil genius . I havent gotten around to building the contents of the book yet but I plan on soon. I also plan on experimenting with the base design to see how powerful I can make it. The basics of the design are:
  • PVC tube (guide rail)
  • Wire Coil in retaining plate (accelerator)
  • High Energy Pulsar (instructions included in the book)
I recommend checking it out.
[thumbsup]

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture