homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » As learned today - Honey as antibacterial agent? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: As learned today - Honey as antibacterial agent?
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 08:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following a recent /. story, I ended up finding a detailed page on the matter here:
http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2001/november/Molan/honey-as-topical-agent.html

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 09:06      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you might find the Ancient Egyptians et al were well aware of that fact (well the benefits of honey for dressing wounds anyway...)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 10:22      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think you might find the Ancient Egyptians et al were well aware of that fact
and they used to turn up naked, with beer [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:12      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't that be naked with mead?
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 14:19      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wouldn't that be naked with mead?

Sounds like a plan...

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 14:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know.... something like that could get you into a very sticky situation! [Eek!]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 14:32      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was rather the idea [Eek!]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 14:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beats bathing in crocodile blood

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 17:02      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Beats bathing in crocodile blood

I don't know...
Couldn't honey be essentially defined as a concentrated combination of fluid from plant genitalia and insect saliva? [Razz]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 17:15      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably. Isn't that why eating honey is sometimes considered not Kosher?

EDIT: Answer is here.

Point of Order: Asked and Answered.

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 05, 2005 12:43      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] Wow, there was something to my grandmother putting honey on my cuts when I was a kid.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 13:16      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Probably. Isn't that why eating honey is sometimes considered not Kosher?

EDIT: Answer is here.

Point of Order: Asked and Answered.

My Wife refers to honey as "bee puke"
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 15:20      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I always thought that honey was LOADED with bacteria, because of how people say that you shouldn't feed it to infants since they're ammune system isn't strong enough.
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 15:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does have some kind of bacteria in it. Find out more from the Mayo Clinic.

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 15:38      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If honey was full of bacteria it wouldn't keep and certainly not 2000+ years in sealed jars in Egyptian tombs.

To make jam and other preserves you have to effectively pastuerise them to kill bacteria or they go off...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 18:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honey, especially raw honey, has clostridium spores in it. As we grow up, our immune systems learn to deal, but feeding a baby raw honey will give the baby botulism.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 16:49      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is thaat desease you said it could give babys?

--------------------
the universe is as you perceive it so a change in perspective is a change in the universe- me november 2 2005

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 17:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 03:29      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He said it could cause Botulism.

(sorry, just had to say it out loud)

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 09:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newsflash to CR...

I'm the one who said honey can cause infant botulism, and I'm a girl dammit.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 15:29      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is definently a srange avatar in the post above mine what is it a mouse on drugs?
(no offence ment if you are offeneded just tell me)

--------------------
the universe is as you perceive it so a change in perspective is a change in the universe- me november 2 2005

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 15:51      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be a lab rat. [Wink]

And you might want to spell check your sig. "perceive"

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 16:11      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please! Do Not Feed the Troll!!!

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 16:39      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a lab rat standing in a very un-ladylike pose.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 18:59      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
witch troll dont you want us to feed?
[evil]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture