homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » A new comet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A new comet
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 01, 2005 12:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This month we have a new celestial visitor... comet Machholz.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/1060.html

Picutre:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap041213.html

Sounds like it will be hard to see, especially in urban areas, but perhaps worth a peek

and here's the story of how Don Machholz found it....
http://ephemeris.sjaa.net/0410/b.html

Posts: 7837 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2005 18:12      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Snaggy. Just goes to show what a tiny little bit of *quality* technology (the 6", f8 reflector scope), and a whole lot of dedication and experience can accomplish.
I'll be sharing these articles with our high school senior - he's taking astronomy. Also, it is a good reminder that not everything that is old is ready for the junk heap. Thank God! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 05, 2005 14:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I saw the comet a couple nights ago.. it's just near the Pleiades... you'll probaly need binocs to see it. No tail to speak of... just a bluish blob, but still pretty neat.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 15:22      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked the other night, but no luck [ohwell]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 16:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Hey I saw the comet a couple nights ago.. it's just near the Pleiades... you'll probaly need binocs to see it. No tail to speak of... just a bluish blob, but still pretty neat.

Any spaceships hiding behind it? If not, then I won't have to go out and buy that pair of black Nikes. [Wink]
Posts: 5830 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 11, 2005 18:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitro and I saw it again last night, just "above" the Pleiades. it was extremely faint naked eye... you could see it with averted vision, but only if you knew where to (not) look.

Through binocs it had the slightest indication of a tail. More like a general direction the fuzz wasn't. If you get a chance, take a peek!

Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted January 15, 2005 18:37      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probably be able to view it from my bedroom window if there wasn't such an overcast here [ohwell] .

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2005 18:42      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it still out there?? I want to go see it!

--------------------
"I wish they made a vending machine that sold vending machines... it would have to be real f*cking big!" -Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 179 | From: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2005 08:04      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'd like to see it... but it's kinda hard to see comets when you live downtown Fort Wayne and if it's as faint as your saying, guess I'm out of luck there. Maybe I'll catch the next one.

--Tony Rad

--------------------
~Live by the Sword~Die by the Sword~

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.