homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Is Caffeine Withdrawal a Mental Disorder?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Caffeine Withdrawal a Mental Disorder?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 30, 2004 13:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Researchers are saying that caffeine withdrawal should now be classified as a psychiatric disorder.

A new study that analyzes some 170 years' worth of research concludes that caffeine withdrawal is very real -- producing enough physical symptoms and a disruption in daily life to classify it as a psychiatric disorder...

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/94/103004.htm?z=1728_00000_1000_nb_02

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 14:05      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care what anyone says I'm not giving up my caffeine. [Smile] It's a necessity. I did however (On the advise of my doctor) Give up pop. I now only drink Coffee for my caffeine fix.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 14:29      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep a steady stream of Penguin Caffeine Mints in my system when I'm at work or need a 2nd wind and have had enough coffee for the day. The nice thing about these is they are sugar and gelatin free.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 20:25      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
I keep a steady stream of Penguin Caffeine Mints in my system when I'm at work or need a 2nd wind and have had enough coffee for the day. The nice thing about these is they are sugar and gelatin free.

I love penguin mints, but it IS worth mentioning that 3 mints contain 2 grams of sorbitol (an artificial sweetern which in larger quantities is a laxative) [Wink]
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 20:46      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had problems with sorbitol, but I have noticed some laxative and *ahem* flatulent effects from malitol.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 20:46      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's not the caffeine that keeps me runnin' [Wink]

Actually the sorbitol does not seem to do anything to me.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 04:25      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something odd...the APA's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision lists "Caffeine Intoxication" as a mental disorder, but doesn't say anything about withdrawal (though it does for such substances of amphetamines). I do agree, though, that they should list caffeine withdrawal.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture