homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I finally got around to it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I finally got around to it
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2003 13:21      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a long term plan to do a bit more audio digitizing - except this time it's not old LPs. I disassembled the entertainment center and dragged the VCR and the DVD player up to my Mac for the afternoon. Having a VCR with stereo out jacks was the incentive.

So, because I could, I digitized the tracks from a couple of stereo VHS tapes, both Thomas Dolby stuff. One is the Gate to the Mind's Eye, and the other is The Golden Age of Video. Couldn't resist having more Dolby. (I wish he'd bring out some new stuff) The video versions are different from what's out on CD; there was one track that's not available in the U.S. (Field Work) so now I can play that when/where I want without having to drag the VCR around.

I hauled in the DVD player to capture some of the music from "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension" I've always liked the end title theme music - now I have a decent file in stereo. The short opening title theme makes a great start-up sound file. As far as I know, there was never a soundtrack album for the movie. I also grabbed the music for the video trailer for a Buckaroo Banzai TV series that never flew.

No biggie - just enjoying that whole digital lifestyle thing.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2003 06:46      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, geez! So far, I've resisted the temptation to drag the computer over near the TV set, or vice versa, just to see what they can do together. But I have to keep up with the xaxnars. This weekend's going to be a real hassle!
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2003 15:38      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as keeping up with the xaxnars goes, itís not hard. Iím using a Griffen Technology iMic to get stereo into my iMac, and Sound Studio to capture and edit the audio as it comes in. I also added an external Firewire drive from LaCie a couple of months ago, just to have some storage space.

When I think about it now, ripping audio files off video tapes and DVDs is a natural. There are a lot of movies out there that didnít have soundtrack albums/CDs - or you canít find them now. Then too, sometimes just grabbing the music over the opening or closing titles is enough.

For some movies, itís really tempting - think of all the old musicals out there. Maybe theyíre not in stereo, but with luck the sound is still decent quality. Unlike old records you shouldnít have to worry about clicks and scratches. I think we have the anniversary re-release of the Wizard of Oz somewhere. Itíd be nice to capture the songs off that - and some of the classic dialog. ^.^

Iíve also got a copy of ďStop Making SenseĒ somewhere. Nothing like a little David Byrne-Talkng Heads. Then there are all those Disney videos we have kicking around.....

When you consider you can often buy VHS tapes and DVDs for less than the cost of a music CD, itís a wonder more people donít try this.

I donít even want to think about the possibilities of taping the evening news or meet the press type shows and putting the audio to use. How about a compilation of Rappiní Rumsfield? The W/Blair re-mix? Talk about abusing technology. ;-)

Hmmmm. This could get interesting.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture