homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » My Gift to You, the Cure for Hiccups...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Gift to You, the Cure for Hiccups...
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 08, 2003 21:26      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a really small child my mom had a fabric store, and one of her friends came in and they chatted, and I remember this because this lady told my mom what the cure for hiccups was. I was like, "oh, I've got to remember this, make a note!" and to this day, I've used this cure and it works every single time, ever since I was about 7! I had the hiccups tonight, and it worked as it always does.

Here it is:
The Cure for Hiccups:
Take a sip of water, then a big breath, and do this eight times, no more, no less, eight times. When you're finished your eighth sip and big breath, your hiccups will be gone.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 21:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A teaspoon of white sugar also works. Have no idea how or why, but it does, and quickly. An old EMT taught me that trick one night when I couldn't stop hiccuping (it would be quite embarassing for us to show up on a call with me in my cups).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 21:50      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Mom taught me this one, and it has never (*knocks wood*) failed me:

Fill a glass with water. Put a table knife in the glass, blade side down. Drink the entire glass of water while holding the handle of the knife against your temple. (It's ok to breathe while you're drinking.) Hiccups should be gone when the water is.

Not sure why this works better than just drinking a glass of water... maybe it takes more concentration? But I won't question it!!! [crazy]

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 03:52      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite was "Run around the house three times without thinking of the word 'wolf'."
Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 08:51      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like drinking from the wrong side of the glass. [Razz]

Nothing to do with hiccups, just thought you'd be interested.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 15:32      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
A teaspoon of white sugar also works. Have no idea how or why, but it does, and quickly. An old EMT taught me that trick one night when I couldn't stop hiccuping (it would be quite embarassing for us to show up on a call with me in my cups).

White sugar is the cure!

However, wouldn't it be more embarrassing for you to show up on call with you not in your cups?

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 16:40            Edit/Delete Post 
Glad I'm not the only one with a dirty mind there ;-)

Does anyone find the breath-holding trick actually works? Assuming I am even holding my breath properly (one of those things no-one actually explains how to do) - I just hiccup right through doing so.

I tend to just go for water. Wrt white sugar - does demerara sugar count? I am not sure that we have any white sugar handy at home - well, there will be some little packets somewhere or other - I never have any use for sugar granules (except when it comes to giving it to exhausted bumble bees).

IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 17:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rednivek:
However, wouldn't it be more embarrassing for you to show up on call with you not in your cups?

/me thinks for a moment

ROTFLMAO!!!

uilleann, I don't get the hiccups that often, so I haven't really had the occasion to experiment with other types of sugar.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 06:34      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't seem to work for anyone else, but I've always found that taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly while concentrating on relaxing and not allowing any muscles to spasm works for me.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 12, 2003 16:51      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually use lemon juice or or sugar. Whatever is handy.

I was once told it is caused by an electrolyte imbalance. Could be bunk, but whatever [Smile]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 17:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiccups happen when your diaphragm spasms, so electrolytes may very well have something to do with it.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 23:41      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just concentrating is all it takes to rid them from me.. Makes rather sense to me, considering the amount of time I spend concentrating on ignoring pain, I've gotten good at controling certain things about my body (for example, I can calm my heart rate fairly quickly and easily (I can't usually lower it more than 70ish beats a minute, though I can lower it from 130 beats (after work out) to 70-80 beats in just a few secconds....))

[devil wand]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2003 07:50      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concentration is probably why this first cure works. Do long division or multiply together two large numbers in your head. While you're concentrating hard on something else, your diaphragm stops spasming and your breathing goes back to normal.

The other hiccup cure I use is pinching my earlobe. I don't remember where I first heard of it; I think it's based on ancient Chinese pressure points or something. Anyway, it does work and is especially useful if you don't have sugar or water handy.

Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 14, 2003 23:39      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many great cures! I can't wait to try them! (I'll probably never get the hiccups now...)

Hey wouldn't that be cool? Nitro could rename this thread "My Gift to You, Hiccup Prevention." [Big Grin]

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 15:08      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I use a hand trick, which involves slowly pulling your pinky out until it stretches (okay hurts).

What happens is that your diaphragm is spasming, and the concentration on your finger gets your breathing to slow down to a regular pace, thereby stopping said hiccups.

However it never works on WinterSolstice. His hands are so limber I can nearly rip off his pinky, then he's mad with the hiccups. As for lemon and sugar, I haven't seen him do that recently, though I have heard that lemon-water works for hiccups caused by messed up pH levels. The sugar thing, perhaps the concentration or the act of swallowing tries to reboot the abdomen.

It's all Old Wives' Tales anyway. They go away when they go away. It's like finding your keys in the last place you look -- of course it's the last place you look! Why would you go looking for your keys more once you've found them?

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2003 12:07      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, a spoonful of sugar works instantly for me every time.

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2003 13:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then there's Russell "Hick" Harrison who has been hiccupping for 64 straight years. [Eek!] He lives in Lynchburg, Virginia, and if you can cure him, you get $500. This site has the story (it's the 13th item down). It shows a lot of interesting things in Lynchburg, such as the man who keeps a rhino with his cows, a living headless cat, a toilet paper roll autographed by Elvis Presley, the world's only "Church of Star Trek" and the Pinehearst Mulleted Naturist Retreat.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 20:00      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had them all day today, and odd enough, running arround the house worked [Smile]

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture