homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Frivolity! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Frivolity!
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2003 03:13            Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting Xanthine:
Frost demeanor hm? Maybe I should just be an ice lattice then. :)
Or maybe something more like:
 -

Quoting dragonman97
Point well taken :) .
Well, I am not so sure. I know someone dislikes X and her biochemistry, but then, what is the real shame is that there's usually no-one for her to share that love for the subject with, whereas we OS dudes at least have it as a common ground (9.1 notwithstanding - damn, I'm nearer to her position).

We should be free to be as geeky as we like about these things - that is, if you take the view that the forums are meant to be a geeky place, and not just a place to hang out for a break from geekiness (depends on your viewpoint; alas, I missed the discussion perfectstormy held in IRC about the forums.)

Having said that, perhaps someone needs to initiate X (once hell has frozen) into the joys of i-nodes and paged memory (I love paged memory =) and my other fave - 16 vs 32-bit file systems. OK, kidding X!! (barely)

Heh, now I've missed my chance for breakfast replying to this (bus to catch to visit PhAtfiSh very soon) - have to take alternate plans.

Anyhow, l8ers all :)

IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2003 09:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
For those who feel lost in the chemistry of it all: this is how I feel when you guys go off on the subtelties of OS's and apps and what-have-you. [Big Grin]

Point well taken [Smile] .
Sorry. I've got biochem on the brain right now...even more than usual.

I'm sorry if biochemistry annoys you guys. I ended up here via a friend, and stayed becasue, lack of biogeeks notwithstanding, I liked the people. I'd promise to lay off, but I don't think I can. It's too much a part of me.

Back to writing.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2003 12:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry. I've got biochem on the brain right now...even more than usual.

I'm sorry if biochemistry annoys you guys. I ended up here via a friend, and stayed becasue, lack of biogeeks notwithstanding, I liked the people. I'd promise to lay off, but I don't think I can. It's too much a part of me.

Back to writing.

I'm not complaining [Smile] . This means I can keep on making obscure Linux comments, so long as you balance them with biochem stuff [Wink] . Besides, one of my friends is going to BU for premed, so I've listened to her talk about all sorts of stuff that I have no clue about - but she's into it, and that's more of what matters, the great interest/passion in something that makes one a geek.

Okay, I'm going to get back to enjoying this beautiful day...

Edit/Append:
P.S. Sorry, Uilleann, I hadn't noticed your post below mine and above Xanthine's - you rather summed up what I was trying to say. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with her biochem, that just seems odd. The only people I don't like here are the ignorant trolls (not always an oxymoron - there are witty trolls out there), a breed of people I have taken to flaming lately, as I just got fed up with them (and have been in a less-than-cheery mood).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2003 17:06            Edit/Delete Post 
One day, I will train you pair to stop capitalising my name [Razz] Yes, I know I bitched about my nick being uncapitalised back when I joined, but now I've decided it's definitely lowercase [Smile]

Hmm... everything else w.r.t the topic is best left unsaid - all things in the mind settle once neglected for sufficiently long (if that can ever come to pass).

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2003 21:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to be trained until you stop changing your mind. Or unless you give me chocolate. Operant conditioning works really well with me. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2003 05:40      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sorry if biochemistry annoys you guys.

There is room for ALL kinds of geeks here. If you promise to live my vicarious career in biochemistry research, I'll live your vicarious career in computer tech support--if such a thing exists :-)
Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 14, 2003 05:57      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always unable to resist a challenge...

-

This is the (unmethylated) xanthine molecule, structure optimised by a semi-empirical molecular modelling technique (AM1) then atomic partial charges calculated by an ab initio method (6-311G** basis set). The isosurface is coloured according to the charge, so positive areas are red and negative areas are blue.

-

This is the highest occupied molecular orbital (HOMO)...

-

...and this is the lowest unoccupied molecular orbital (LUMO). Prediction of Xanthine's likely reactions from the above is left as an exercise for the student [Big Grin]

Modelling was done in Hyperchem 7, crappy JPEG conversion in Windows Paint [Razz] You can get to the original bitmaps by substituting .bmp for .jpg in the links above.

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2003 06:13            Edit/Delete Post 
Xanthine: My mind is perfectly made up w.r.t the spelling. And I have nothing to do with bribery.
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 14, 2003 07:32      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I really like nekomatic's unmethylated xanthine molecule. Just chop off the left side to make it square, scale it down, and you'd have a really cool avatar.
Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2003 10:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by perfectstormy:
If you promise to live my vicarious career in biochemistry research, I'll live your vicarious career in computer tech support--if such a thing exists :-)

Jump on the bandwagon. [Smile]
I've got a few other friends who are joyfully encouraging my career so they don't have to be biochemists themselves. In return, I am a vicarious linguistic anthroplogist, paramedic, economist, and sound engineer.

*looks at nekomatic's post*
WOW!!!!
*wipes drool off keyboard*
Out of my ass I'd say the ketones are open to attack, but I need to think about it.
*runs off to look up purine chemistry in answer to the challenge*

--------------------
- The Decemberists

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 01:12            Edit/Delete Post 
ok, so it's a totally unscientific piece of poo, but it was something to build in PS (only I fucked it by sticking everything on the same layer by mistake)
 -

nyeh, something else to host off Firetrack (except when ntl is playing silly sausages with my connection like earlier).

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 14:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice...but why is the atomic number 1? Pretty cool all the same.

Term paper hell hat frozen over - or at least gone slushy (got another due next Wednesday). After some time to recuperate and chug trimethyl xanthine, I'll be back to my normal bouncy self.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 14:59            Edit/Delete Post 
[Edited]

why? because there's only one of you - i couldn't find another number to go in there, so I went for that. TT reckoned Xn was Xenon (I cba to check), so even that wants fixing. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously (why it's there at all is complicated) - I've rather lost it lately.

One more (this is the last one - I shan't be making more pics, and with luck, I shall stop posting obtuse weirdness to this thread):
 -

I have it as a properly layered Photoshop file in case anyone wants to mess with it.

l8ers
- u.

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 16, 2003 01:44      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like your last one, u! Xenon is Xe btw, so no prob there. What's wrong with posting obtuse weirdness - isn't that what we're here for? [Big Grin]

X, without looking it up I'd expect nucleophilic attack at the carbonyl (ketone) carbons, which is borne out by their fairly positive charge in the first picture. For example, a base would probably hydrolyse it to urea and, um, 4-(5-hydroxyimidazolyl)methanoic acid (I think). The double-bonded nitrogen will probably act as a nucleophile itself, and then you have the possibility of rearrangements between the C=C double bond and a C=C in another molecule to give something tricyclic - this is where molecular orbital symmetry becomes important but also where my brain starts hurting [Embarrassed] There's also the tautomer where the oxygens each gain a hydrogen and the neighbouring nitrogens each lose one in which case I guess those nitrogens will also become nucleophilic.

Whew!

Actually, it would do me good to look it up, cos I'm in the middle of applying for a job with lots more physical organic chemistry content than I get to grips with at the mo - so I wasn't just wasting work time mucking about with the molecular modelling program, honest! Maybe I should get one of these custom avatar things myself one of these days... hmm...

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 03:39      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How'd you pick your avs?

Mine is a small pic of my home made personal flag, for a better explanation try here.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 05:30      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How'd you pick your avs?
Uh... mine's a grey cat. [Wink] The original image was taken from a Freenet site called "Pussy Galore", which, despite the name, is not dedicated solely to images of nude women. (Although there are some of those, too.)
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 07:47            Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting nekomatic:
I like your last one, u!
Hm... in editing the post containing it, I lost the comment saying that I didn't intend for it to be an avatar. It's just a cute picture, no more. In fact, until the last minute, there wasn't even any colour, and I really wondered wtf I was on (and why I'd just spent hours making it), but I found it suprisingly easy to tint (adjust HLS in colorize mode) and the colour did a lot for it; it wasn't meant to look like what it does now. But it's still too dull, both in my judgement, and going by the drool quantity from your atomic models. But it kept Photoshop amused for a while.

Xenon is Xe btw, so no prob there.
Yep, I went and looked this morning. Hmm, I was pretty sure that Xn was taken - I thought that maybe I'd need Xe (right...) or as a third choice, Xt.

What's wrong with posting obtuse weirdness - isn't that what we're here for?
"obtuse" is the wrong word - I knew I should have looked it up, instead of assuming it meant "of obscure or undeterminable meaning". What's wrong? Well, you only replied to my heavily edited thread, where all the intense negative emotions were deleted previously. There is a lot of mess going on inside my head that really does not belong in the forums, as it does no good to anyone (particularly as all of it is deliberately unclear, so it doesn't actually mean anything to anyone). Once that's about all I ever post, then it gets really stupid.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 08:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
u: Get some sleep. And eat. And exercise. It won't fix all your problmes, but it'll clear your mind. Just trust me on this one. Xe is xenon. There is (currently) no Xn, Xt, or any other X_ elements on the table.

neko: It depends on which direction that tautomer forms - you might be able to get some 1-4 addition going as well. Though I'm not sure if that's favorable on a tertiary carbon...
Of course, we all know that xanthine can be methylated, acetylated, ribosylated, or otherwise funtionalized at the amino groups. [Smile]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 16:16            Edit/Delete Post 
X: (now you have stopped reading page 1, I can no longer track your host using the server log window ;-) Can't tell when you reply now :)

I am getting plenty of sleep; food, I don't know. But I am a person of the mind, not body - exercise as a physical act will do nothing for me, but what it could theoretically achieve is a refocus of the mind. But so can anything else. But if something physical does not offer enough of a mental distraction, it will only make things worse, as my mind is laid bare. Physical "solutions" only work if they reset my mind, as it were - empty it. Coding is fantastic for this if I can get properly focused - the entire world is released from my mind.

I have doubts that you really know what any of my posts meant, though - that was my intention, for better or worse.

oh, btw neko, I assume you are aware of the GC photo album? I can't recall whether you've seen your photo or not... something tells me you have, now, or was that someone else?

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2003 05:25      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I am a person of the mind, not body - exercise as a physical act will do nothing for me
Unless you're a brain in a jar, you're wrong here. Humans have bodies, and bodies have glands, and glands produce hormones, which affect the brain's operation. And since your mind is implemented on a physical brain, it's subject to these kinds of influences.

On the other hand, have you considered trying Yoga?

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2003 08:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
But I am a person of the mind, not body - exercise as a physical act will do nothing for me, but what it could theoretically achieve is a refocus of the mind.

I disagree. A little bit of endorphins go a long way. Same with adrenaline. But not too much. Too much adrenaline leaves you hot, shaky, and unable to sleep.

I agree with greycat. Yoga. Or anything else that'll teach you to make a mind-body connection. I also know a couple really good relaxation drills if you want to learn.

quote:
I have doubts that you really know what any of my posts meant, though - that was my intention, for better or worse.
I'm therefore going to tell you what I told my ex while we were still together: if you want to be understood, say what you mean and say it clearly. I used to ask him what was wrong, and he'd shrug. Then I was supposed to guess. Unfortunately, the list of possibilities was quite long and I really suck at games of chance.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2003 10:41            Edit/Delete Post 
if you want to be understood, say what you mean and say it clearly
Depends - if one comes halfway between wanting to keep something quiet (for any reason), and desiring to speak out (for any reason), then the resulting explanation will make no sense whatsoever. I am not gifted with an ability to explain certain things (where the boundary lies, I don't know - I managed with explaining IRC surprisingly well), but if I wanted a person to know more, I'd try harder, and probably still mess up.

And my head does not need clearing that I know of - I am not referring to confusion stemming from biological imbalances or random fluctuations, but rather emotional confusion that relates consistently to who I am and so forth.

Endorphins? Hm... maybe, but I won't do any better with them but without a working mental context (though you all assume I function like a "regular" human being, even though we aren't all the same) - to relax, to me, implies a state where all negative realisations (facts, memories, etc.) are released from the mind, and since these are tied in strongly to even who I am, if this is achieved (not sure how I did it), I reach a very chilled state indeed, as there is nothing much left to interfere. It feels good, though. But if GC (UBB, IRC) forms part of the activities in this state, then they too can ruin things. The alternative is to concentrate on something which causes a refocus away from real life - drawing pictures in Photoshop is effective, as is programming, until either my code falls apart or I start hitting Photoshop bugs ;-)

Anyhow, I seroiusly ought to stop filling up this thread with nonsense - there are other places for off-topic discussion than UBB.

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2003 15:09      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
u: opaque? Yes, I have been to look at the photo gallery - had forgotten that I'd posted that one to GC, tho I have no probs with it appearing...

I obviously missed whatever it was so can't comment specifically, but I second X that missing food or sleep is no help at all if I'm feeling pissed off about anything - when I was unhappily single it made things easier to realise this, and these days my girlfriend would agree that if we get into a yelling match it's almost always when we're both far too tired. If this advice doesn't apply to you then it's for the benefit of anyone else listening!

As for exercise, I'd never have imagined ten years ago that I'd get into stuff like rock climbing and tai chi - not specially good at either, but they're things I really enjoy doing now - so you could say that getting involved has changed my view of who I am for the better. Just a thought...

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2003 18:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that neko. A friend of mine teases me about hypoglycemia whenever I get irritable. One of the reasons I'm having a hard time bouncing back from mid-term hell is lack of time to get groceries, so I've been eating what amonts to scraps and garbage all week.

u, if your current coping skills aren't doing the job you need some new ones. I do recommend AGAINST withdrawing - I've found that that only makes things worse.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2003 18:52            Edit/Delete Post 
From the foul language I am getting off Rednivek in IRC that seems to be in relation to this topic, it would seem even more prudent to remain silent on that topic instead of trying to explain, in addition to me being fed up with all the junk I'm posting.

My only point, neko, was that you might have a better photo, that was all... *shrugs*

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture