homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Coming clean about my dirty little secret.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coming clean about my dirty little secret.
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 06, 2003 22:59      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm a cleaning geek! It's official. It started with getting a new vacuum cleaner, which Snaggy helped me pick out. Oh glory, it has a HEPA filter! I poured over the user manual like any good geek would when buying new hardware. It's a Eureka WhirlWind, FYI. It's amazing, it's fun, and the place looks like a Hotel when I'm finished.

Oh, but the geek glee doesn't stop there, oh no, I've got to get more cleaning apparati. I've conquered the dirt that can get sucked up, now the object of my desire is The Steam Shark. I saw it advertised by Canadian Tire, and now I want one. Just look at all the stuff it cleans! It uses high steam tempertatures to kill germs and such.

How did this all start? I have an allergy to mold, and I suffered nightly reactions where I couldn't sleep, as I was trying to breathe. I'm puffing Advair daily now and that works like a charm, but, I have to be ultra diligent on ridding my living and working quarters of mold. Mold is bad for you non-allergic types too, you know! The HEPA vac really helps, and now I want to steam blast the other surfaces. The only problem is, that this rainforest coastal climate is condusive to moldy environments. Any other cleaning geeks out there?

rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 07:09      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you need directions to my apartment?
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 08:23      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be a cleaning geek in college, but years of living with a wife and kids who never put anything away broken me of the habit. I still, however, appreciate a good HEPA filter when I see it (A thing of beauty is a joy forever). We just installed a central AC system so I put an electrostatic filter on it to help control dust.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 07, 2003 09:26      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rw:
Do you need directions to my apartment?

And after you're finished there... [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 10:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a devout follower of the second law of thermodynamics.

OTOH, I have an extreme aversion to mold. No allergies. It just grosses me out. So I clean, but not fanatically.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 17:29      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
[QB] Mold is bad for you non-allergic types too,

[qb]

ah yes mold. an elusive quarry
the thing that has plagued the local high school for the past 3 years. im not sure if mr4 has complained about it, but the high school has a serious mold infestation the state gave us 2 million dollars to fix it, all of which mysteriously vanished, so they did a half ass job and now the auditorium and a large part of the school is completely unusable.. other problems that plague us are cancer and fecal matter in our water.... what fun... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 18:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take organic chemistry lab when you go to college. It'll put all your concerns about exposure into perspective.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 06:44      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Take organic chemistry lab when you go to college. It'll put all your concerns about exposure into perspective.

Ah, they'll probably take all the fun (chlorinated solvents and reactive metals) out of that too. The greatest danger will be synthesizing isoamyl acetate the same semester you take beekeeping.

Come to think of it, organic lab is a great opportunity for someone with a cleaning fetish--all that glassware [evil]

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 07:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he comes to my school he can have all the fun he wants. Bromine dissolved in CCl4 anyone?

--------------------
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 13:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nitrozac wrote:
The only problem is, that this rainforest coastal climate is condusive to moldy environments.

Have you tried closing up your bedroom and running a dehumidifier in it? If you can keep the humidity down in that room it should help with the mold and you'll at least be more likely to be able to sleep comfortably.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 20:07      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read about dehumidifiers last night, and you're right, that is a great idea to put in the bedroom, I think that purchasing one of those is taking higher priority than the Steam Shark. Hygrometer's are on my shopping list the next time I go to the hardware store.

oOo, and electrostatic filter, that sounds good!

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 20:35      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you're not rich or you could get one of these from the Sharper Image .
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 15:26      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While this might not be quite what you're looking for, it looks like a lot of fun. The cutest little home robot you ever saw. Howard Tayler of "Schlock Mercenary" got one a while back, and had lots of good things to say about it. It would be fun to stick a web cam on one and watch it hunt dust bunnies!

Allergies are no fun. Mine are seasonal, and should start kicking in soon, as trees all over North America start their annual vegetative orgy of unprotected sex. Pollen everywhere!

I've been seeing reports lately that suggest one factor in allergies may be childhoods without enough exposure to the right kinds of filth - the immune system doesn't get the message early on that it doesn't need to go psycho over some things, and freaks out when it runs into them later. Ah well.... Now they tell me.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 15:32      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen those little robots. They're kind of neat, but you can't leave anything on the floor like magazines or socks because it won't know what to do about them. They aren't heavy enough to consider furniture and work around, but they are too big to vacuum up. And they're not too powerful. But as long and you're not cluttered (so I can't get one [Razz] ) and don't have odd shaped rooms it is pretty neat.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2003 11:41      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tayler had some comments about his roombavac. Among them, he thought it did a pretty decent job of cleaning given the way it works. He noted that although it could only seem to clean 3 rooms on a single charge of the battery, that was still 3 more rooms than would have probably been cleaned otherwise. That's a definite point. The best vacuum in the world doesn't do any good sitting in the closet.
Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture