homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Troop Cam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Troop Cam
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2003 23:45      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, the live cams of the tanks is kind of addictive (being a reality TV addict). CNN had the cameras on Iraqi soldiers, and the reporters were commenting on how they looked like slackers and their uniforms were out of date and what not, then I clearly saw one of the soldiers spot the camera, he pointed it out, and then waved. He did that a couple of times. I thought that was funny. The reporters didn't comment on that. Now I'm looking at guys surrendering with white flags, and it's like COPS but in Iraq. What do you guys think of this cutting edge news coverage?

btw, I think that the Saddam video isn't actually him, I think it's a guy wearing prosthetic make-up.

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2003 03:03      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the Italian director eyeglasses that Saddam was wearing. It's funny when they talk to the correspondents when the troops are under a chemical attack alert. Seeing them reporting wearing gas masks is just strange.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2003 06:34      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you finding this Troop Cam? (Seems like most of the warotica on the web these days is pay-per-view.)
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 21, 2003 06:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Television. The Old Medium. [Wink]
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2003 08:14            Edit/Delete Post 
Those with Real Player can try this stream
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/live/now4.ram
BBC News 24 I think, Chris gave it to me to watch the morning the bombing started.

Whether this is what you were after, I am not sure, but anyhow.

IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2003 08:24      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have to agree that coverage of wars in the media is captivating, I'm still disturbed by it. Not emotionally, but intellectually. My problem is that, by making the coverage so palatable, it encourages an overall desensitization to war. For most of us, watching war becomes eerily similar to watching sports. (Jon Stewart did a great bit about that on "The Daily Show" last night). It happens somewhere else, and we don't actually have to endure the horrible aspects.

What TV does not capture is the human cost. Being a soldier in battle can change a person. My grandfather was in the trences in WW1. For years, he would never talk about his experiences. Then one Easter, around 1970, nearly 55 years later, he suddenly just opened up and started telling us about the fighting. I have some uncles who served in WW2, who similarly won't dicuss things. Same with some Vietnam vets I know.

So, it's hard not to watch *the war show* on TV. It's hard not to enjoy it. But I don't think that's a good thing.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2003 09:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, and I haven't watched a single minute of it. Some reasons:
a) I've been watching less TV lately (computing or doing stuff at work, or trying to have a life).
b) I have no desire to see this war, which I do not really support (I will support the troops who are over there serving our country - I just disagree with the principle of the war, and W.).
c) Referring to b, I do not want to become desensitized to war, as I believe it is not a trivial matter. I'll be content to read about it in the newspaper.
d) I don't do the whole "reality TV" thing. Perhaps I'd watch a documentary about it on Discovery, but I don't really need or want to follow the whole thing live (if I wanted to do that, I'd join the Army [not a chance in hell of that]).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2003 10:28      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The coverage is on CNN, right now "Shock and Awe is underway". That's the big pummelling on the scope and scale that has never been seen before. Last night, CNN had live cams on the "spear head" tanks in south racing to Baghdad, while Fox News had a journalist and camera in a jeep following a tank in the second wave of tanks in the desert. There were occassional pauses, one was near a goat herder shack, which was interesting and reminded me of Tatooni. CNN also had a cam on the north border of Iraq, on the troops, and their commenting was so catty about the "old fashioned" look of the Iraqi troops. They even did a weather report for the area which was really bizarre.

I understand and agree with why US and Britain wants to invade Iraq, but I don't agree with why the US and Britain has gone on without the UN supporting it, why didn't they wait just two more weeks? Then, morally, and otherwise we (Canada) would be all for it, and helping and supporting all we can. The way it is now, the US and Britain seems like bullies, and this whole war crimes threat! What a mess!

Of course I have the utmost disdain for Saddam for not surrendering, and sparing lives, and the environment.

Mostly though, I'm concerned and thinking about the many Geek Culture Geeks that are in the US military, and I personally feel like they are our friends, and I hope they will return safely. I certainly don't mean to put these friends down, and I have a lot of respect for them.

rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2003 18:37      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Television. The Old Medium. [Wink]

They still have that?
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 21, 2003 19:10      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's like the "Old Europe." Still thinking it's important. [Wink]
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2003 03:49      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching the war 'as it happens' is OK as long as you don't think you're really seeing the whole picture. We're only getting fragments spliced together with a lot of WAG's, rumors, 'expert' interpretation and the like. It will take months afterwards to figure out what was really going on - but by then the cameras will have moved on and you won't find out unless you go digging for it - and maybe not even then. There will be any number of interpretations and analyses available - and most of them will be designed to serve particular agendas.
Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2003 05:49      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
< AOL mode="MeToo" >
It's extremely rare that I find myself in full agreement with anyone on this forum -- or any other. But dragonman's post above has quite eloquently stated exactly how I feel about this whole mess.
< /AOL >

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted March 25, 2003 07:20      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am profoundly appalled by the invasion of Iraq by the United States. Virtually all of the evidence presented by the Bush administration to justify this invasion has been proven to be false, speculative, or inaccurate. George W. Bush is asking for 75 Billion of our money to wage a war of personal vendetta.

Unprovoked invasion of another nation is contrary to everything that America stands for. The outpouring of support and good will that America received after 9-11 has been foolishly squandered. America is now isolated and universally reviled. A successful military campaign will not reverse the bad will now endured by all Americans all over the World. We are supposed to be the Good Guys. Instead, we are now the aggressors. Shame on you George Bush. You are an embarrassment.

The myth of the "liberal media" is one of the persistent lies of our time. We are constantly being bombarded by propaganda disguised as news. While attending an anti-war demonstration at City Hall recently, I overheard a local TV news anchor ask a young woman a "question." She said, "I am not going to pull any punches with this question... Why is it that none of the demonstrators seem to be from the mainstream and instead all seem to be radical left-wing?"

That was not a question! It was right-wing commentary disguised as a question and masquerading as journalism. She did not ask me any questions. I was well dressed, I am in my late 40's, and I am a mainstream business person, as are many of the members of the Philadelphia A.N.S.W.E.R group that I have become active with.

When Colin Powell made his presentation to the U.N., there was very little mention in the media that vast segments of the "evidence" that he presented were plagiarized from a student essay that was written several years ago.

Our major media outlets are controlled by conservative, right-wing, Goliath, monolithic corporations that are disinclined to give us balanced and accurate coverage and commentary. Instead, we are being spoon-fed with the propaganda being foisted upon us by an illegitimate government. Confusing double-speak and sanitized techno-jargon is being dutifully regurgitated by media that is being fed pabulum for the masses.

What is the real reason for this unprovoked aggression? It is irresponsibly naive to think that control of Iraqi oil fields is not one of the objectives. The Bush administration is openly in favor of making more oil available while discouraging conservation efforts. Lucrative contracts have already been awarded for the rebuilding of Iraq's oil infrastructure, and the work will be financed by Iraqi oil itself. President Bush will reap a windfall of low oil prices just in time for his re-election bid in 2004. Let's not forget the many, many ties to the oil industry and the oil services industry (such as Halliburton,) of both the President and Vice-President. Fortunes are about to be made.

The justification? Saddam threatens the US and supports Al Queda... Ya right. I don't buy it. We Americans are more at risk than ever and this will not change anytime soon. As for our war of liberation in Iraq, I can only wonder, "Who's next?"

Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace
Bush is President

--------------------
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. -George Carlin
GraphicPower-News and Views for the Graphics Industry

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2003 07:40      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm really enjoying it - it's the best Reality TV show ever - even better than American Idol 2. The 24/7 coverage is a cool aspect - although it does get a bit repetitive.

The only downside to this show compared to others? We have to wait years before we get to vote out who we don't like. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2003 14:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't watch more than five minutes at a time. Then I start getting sick to my stomach. A stress reaction, yeah, but disturbing. I usually don't do that. But this war started on top of mid-terms, interviews, a death in the family, etc.

I am no longer proud to be an American, and that's the worst part of all.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 26, 2003 14:27      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I am no longer proud to be an American, and that's the worst part of all.

At least you can be proud to be a Superfan now! [Smile]
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2003 15:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Yes, I suppose. It looks better than being a SuperBlabbermouth. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 03:16      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh xanthine welcome!

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 07:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome indeed. I would have been the first to welcome you to this interesting place ( [Smile] ), but Phoenix got closed yesterday while I was doing a Windows Update @ work [Frown] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 15:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw thanks.
Just thought I'd join the party. Snuck in late of course, wet from the rain, but at least I made it.

So now that I've joined all the cool kids in the clubhouse, what happens?

--------------------
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 18:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You help contribute to the lively conversations here, or lack thereof [Smile] . After Spike joined, we had to erase the NN pics, the hentai, the special pics of the TTBs (and even some TTHs) - sorry, we never expected kids around here [Wink] .

Down, uilleann...down. Don't read the above post ;-).

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 19:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's okay. The hentai I could live without. But I'm sorry to hear about the TTHs.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2003 20:31      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GraphicPower.com:
As for our war of liberation in Iraq, I can only wonder, "Who's next?"

Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace
Bush is President

With all the "warnings" that Bush is giving Syria, I would have to say that they are going tobe next. Then probably Iran and North Korea. I am not voting for Bush, I don't care who the other guy is.

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 03:28      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next thing to be featured in news reports: Looter Cams ! [Big Grin]
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 04:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gives me an idea... imagine you had a big enough group of people... a group of people with common desires... you could get organised and all storm a computer store and nick whatever you need... ibook anyone? Scanner?

PCWorld - Manchester - this Saturday - who's comin' with me? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture