homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Kilt Day 2003 - Success!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kilt Day 2003 - Success!
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 02, 2003 20:27      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(originally written 01/31/2003)

First, let me say that today was great! I think there's a high degree of chick-magnetism built into this kilt, because stuff was happening today that just NEVER happens to me... More on that in a sec.

The reaction today was great from almost everyone... I guess the standard stuff you'd expect: "What's under that?" "Why?" etc... But our Human Resources (er, "Personnel") manager (female) was impressed with my "fashion-forwardness" having seen something on TV about kilts as the the next big thing, and most everyone thought it was at least "cool" - or that I was one brave guy.

Well, except for the CEO, who I've known for 15 years, who tried to play me with "What the F--- are you wearing?" Of course, he wears a polo shirt and jeans to work every day, and this day he had uncharacteristically worn a suit, so I just said back to him "What the f--- are you wearing?". He retreated to his office.

So I took a little ribbing, sure, but nothing I couldn't handle, having been kidded for wearing from 1-3 earrings since 1982 and a ponytail from 1987-1999!

About the Chick-magnetism... understand that I'm a shy quiet guy, who just thought he would enjoy a kilt... but ALL DAY I had women coming up to me and asking me about the kilt and saying how cool it was. Did I mention they were BEAUTIFUL HOT WOMEN? [Wink]

I must order more kilts IMMEDIATELY!

Example: There are 4 "hot" Latin girls that work for a different company in our building, who I see every day and they never say anything or even smile... This morning they stopped me and told me how great I looked, and later one of them who was sitting outside eating lunch stopped me and asked me about the kilt and we talked for a while.

Then more women were interested and approached me at the 2 restaurants I went to tonight.

Did I mention the girls were HOT?

Did I mention I'm ordering more Kilts?

(ASIDE: I actually got a gift certificate for UK from my brother the day AFTER I ordered my UK and since their systems are, ahem, lame, they couldn't apply it to my already-ordered kilt. So I really HAVE to order a second. END OF ASIDE)

I'll definitely continue wearing the kilt whenever I can. I'm not sure that it gives me more confidence, but, I know I was doing it for the right reasons... because I wanted to do something for me, and for my heritage. Not to show off or shock people.

Again, thanks for your support!

=DB

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 02, 2003 20:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoa! very cool

Magnificent Valour!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 02, 2003 20:54      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Dr. Frankenfurter] I just LOVE success! [/Dr. Frankenfurter]

Way to go, Digital Bill!!!

[Cool]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2003 19:13      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool... order the blue camo one and then find the Latina you like best and ask her what she thinks.... then ask her out.... then find an excuse on your date to walk over a steam vent a la Marilyn Monroe...

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 03, 2003 20:01      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright! Way to go!! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Cool]

--------------------
Janeway--
Author, Artist, and Dreamer Extraordinaire

Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 04, 2003 00:06      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Very impressive, and ballsy! heh.

I think you should go nite clubbing while wearing the kilt, and see how it goes, and of course, we want details. I bet $10 you're going to get lucky, or at least one hot chick is going to give you an indecent proposal. Hopefully I haven't jinxed it with the bet thing, anyway, so, we can conclude that wearing the kilt to work was a huge success with the ladies. I wanna know the response to a social situation! Whoo! Go DB Go!

Kilt = IceBreaker

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 16:30      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did wear it to the bar/club where my roommate's band was playing, in kinda a shall we say 'judgemental' section of town, and I had no hassles.

Oh, and girls wanted to dance with me! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

So here's an intersting followup on the girls at work who usually wouldn't talk to me:

When I spoke to my friend iGeorge over the weekend and told him about some of the reactions to the Kilt from random women, he wasn't surprised. "You've shaken their perceptions of who you are. They'll never react the same to you again, and it'll keep going like that..." he said.

Well, being who and what I am, I wasn't sure about that.

Until Monday.

On Monday I saw the girl that I had spoken with while she was eating her lunch (3 of 4, IIRC). She gave me a BIG smile, and asked how I was doing. I of course returned the smile, with a hearty (if somewhat wit-challenged) "UNBELIEVABLE!" and she smiled back.

I thought of what iGeorge had said, and laughed all the way to the store.

This is getting interesting.

ASIDE: The same young lady has spoken to me every time I've seen her since then! END OF ASIDE

Well, with any luck we'll try something else this weekend: The Renaissance Fair... Not a great test of 'social situations', Nitro, since many attendees are already predisposed to midaeval garb, I'm told (having never been to one of these affairs...).

And so goes the experiment that is my life.

=DB

Hoping to be "Geekier than Thou" at the Renfest [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 20:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! No other words quite express the wonder I have at the power of the kilt [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 07, 2003 08:41      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo! This is incredible! It's like a secret weapon, a super power! That's so cool. so.... are you going to ask this babe out? [Big Grin]
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 10:25      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
Whoo! This is incredible! It's like a secret weapon, a super power! That's so cool. so.... are you going to ask this babe out? [Big Grin]

Well, at the very least I'm planning to, um, talk to her! Heh... this for me would be an accomplishment.

ASIDE:
I had a talk with my brother about this phenomenon. It seems that I've unknowingly done something that would be defined (loosely) as "taking a risk" which is the start to opening a relationship. I did this by taking the risk and making myself vulnerable. She (and others) responded to the risk, by being receptive and engaging me in conversation (the other 2 possibilies being a. Polite Acknowledgement or b. Brushing-Off). Only the last option (Brush-off) makes moving forward challenging.
END OF ASIDE.

This weekend I'll be testing the Powers of the Kilt™ at the Renaissance Fest here in town. If anyone's going, I'll be um, the one in the kilt. [Wink]

This is getting interesting. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

=DB

Yea... that's me... "Risk Taker"...

--------------------

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 15:58      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Kids... here's where DB ups the ante...

I just ordered my SECOND UK! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] !

-

Well, like I said... I had the gift certificate, so it only cost me $100 this time. Since I always buy 2 of every pair of pants, one black and one khaki, i figured why not with kilts.

I almost got the Olive Drab one, since both were in stock... OK, so that will be number 3 and the nightwatch camo # 4.

This is getting interesting.

=DB

Kilts Rock!

--------------------

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 16:52      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me want kilt too. Not got no kilt money, tho. Drat. Perhaps if I eat ramen for a month...

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 17:13      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lex:
Me want kilt too. Not got no kilt money, tho. Drat. Perhaps if I eat ramen for a month...

Yea, man! go for it! Hopefully you won't have to pay the "over 38 waist" upcharge I have to (still, even having lost 75 LBS... frightening how big I was before)

Ya know... if enough GCers get involved in the Utiliclan, we may have to rename this place...

(...wait for it...)

"Geek Kilture"

=DB

I slay myself!

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 05:59            Edit/Delete Post 

It seems like, finally, things are getting more interesting in the real universe...

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture