homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » How's your holiday stress level?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How's your holiday stress level?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 15, 2002 23:09      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
arrrrgggg, way to much work , a million projects not finished, taxes waiting to do, haven't had a day off in weeks, visiting in-laws [Smile] , and I've hardly done any Christmas shopping....

....yep, typical December [Wink]

How you holding out?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2002 06:05      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stress? The post office doesn't open for another 2 hours 45 minutes -- plenty of time to wrap and package gifts. I'm kicking back for a few.
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2002 06:44      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a cure, but .......

1) Look left.
2) Look right.
3) sigh ...... Put dinner in microwave.
4) Eat dinner, drink water.
Note: use filtered water, not tap.

After that, Read Comics.

(Boredom ... the other substitute for stress ....)
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 16, 2002 10:14      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bad news is, you make your own stress.
The good news is, you make your own stress.
[Big Grin]
I find that taking a hour before going to sleep to just relax and unwind is very helpful for feeling stressed out. Take a shower, do some stretches, read a magazine or a self-help book, write in a journal, keep the TV and off, and play relaxing music, plan your next day, play with the cat. After a month of doing this, making it a routine, you can really notice the difference!

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted December 16, 2002 11:10      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:

I find that taking a hour before going to sleep to just relax and unwind is very helpful for feeling stressed out. Take a shower, do some stretches, read a magazine or a self-help book, write in a journal, keep the TV and off, and play relaxing music, plan your next day, play with the cat. After a month of doing this, making it a routine, you can really notice the difference!

If only! our downstairs neighbour from hell is off his head on drugs and fighting with his friends at 2am, banging doors and slamming on walls.

Stress levels here are at pretty dangerous levels [Frown]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 16, 2002 13:29      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know about neighbors from hell, but I've been fortunate for quite a while so far. This has been a stress-free holiday. I found doing all shopping on-line or making your own presents is a good solution to keeping away from the Christmas maniacs. [Smile] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2002 11:01      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a huge pile of presents on my desk that have yet to be wrapped, I haven't written any cards, I won't see my friends in school so I'll have to drive round everyone else's houses to drop off gifts - I can't drive, my Mum can't give me a lift cos she's... well, in no fit state atm, so I have to try and get to all the places I need to go by bus (and my friends all live in different towns)

Heck... Happy Holidays [Wink]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 17, 2002 23:36      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skylar, that sounds like an exhausting day on the bus! If I may give some suggestions? How about arranging a little get together? Invite your friends over for a little eggnog to pick up their gifts. Just something casual, you know? On the weekend, sort of a come and go thing, where they can drop by in certain hours, and you can give them their gift then. If they can't make it, you can give them thier gifts after the holidays. Or, mail them! If they live in the same town, they'll get there by Christmas for sure, and it will save you time, and probably cost the same as the bus fare! Let the postman deliver their gifts! sound good?
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 07:10      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stress level is through the roof. I'm the "engineer without portfolio" in my company. That means I'm advising and helping on 5 things at once, which each require only 2 days per week. (Do the math). My kids seem to require about 2 hours each day of driving them to various things. I'm about to start construction on my kitchen - that will require me to dismantle and move my home office, but I don't know where to fit all the stuff from it.

But the worst one is that I can't figure out a really good present for my wife. She'll make that hurt puppy face unless there is something happy under the tree.

On the plus side, my new iMac is a blast.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 18, 2002 08:15      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quantum, I have some ideas for your wife's gift! You can't go wrong with pretty jewellry! It's romantic, and she'll have it forever. Depending on your budget, something like a pearl necklace with earings, always a classic. Maybe an opal necklace, or a sapphire ring, or a delicate bracelet. Lockets are very romantic, especially if you put your pictures in it before wrapping it up. Sound good? [Big Grin]
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 11:21      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your suggestions were helpful indeed, Nitrozac... as a matter of fact, you've given me a good idea - I can invite my friends over on Saturday to watch the Fellowship of the Rings before we go off to watch The Two Towers, and we can exchange gifts then. Thanks [Smile]

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2002 05:45      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have scarcely noticed that there is a holiday coming up. I used to make such a big deal out of Christmas, but now my daughter has graduated from college (Rhode Island School of Design,) and has moved 2000 miles away. My wife and I split up about 3 years ago, so all of the "family stuff" that revolves around Christmas has changed.

On top of it all, I am starting up a new Magazine, Combat Robot Magazine. It is a technical hobbyist magazine for enthusiasts of robotic competition.

I am working like a fiend day and night to get the magazine going and get the first issue out. Doing the magazine has required a lot a travel too. I just got back from the Robotics Society of America Holiday Robot Games and Expo in San Francisco. I guess most of my stress right now is mostly about all the work that I must do to launch this magazine.

As for what I do for relaxation... I have started (re-)reading "War and Rememberance."

-

--------------------
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. -George Carlin
GraphicPower-News and Views for the Graphics Industry

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2002 07:44      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought of jewelery, but that is still difficult.
- she only wears a limited selection of things to work. She's a pediatriction so she can't wear things that dangle which little kids will grab, nor rings that poke out too far and rip gloves.
- I've bought her so much over the last 20 years that the good stuff is now out of my price range!
- I'm allready getting her a necklace for her birthday, which is a few days later.

Maybe show tickets. That will surprise her mostly because I would not think of it myself.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 22, 2002 23:36      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quantum, show tickets, great idea! [Big Grin] She'll love it!

Skylar, I'm glad I could help. [Big Grin]

Graphic Power, best of luck with your new Venture. Sometimes it's fun to ignore the Holidays. [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture