homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I might get laid off...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I might get laid off...
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 26, 2002 15:22      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, it was announced that my employer, Sun Microsystems, will do a faily large layoff (11% of workforce, 4400 employees). Hopefully, I will not be on the dreadful list...

Or maybe, I will be.

I just can't decide wich event would be worst. Or best...

--------------------
At first, follow the rules of the game.
If you don't succeed, break the rules.
If you still don't succeed, change them.
If you still don't succeed, just change the game.
And if it still doesn't work...

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 27, 2002 05:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about that. I would have thought that Sun was one of the more safer companies to work for in these times, but if you do get laid off, it could provide an opportunity. Sometimes things that seems bad at first turn out to be a blessing in disguise. [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 27, 2002 08:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rats...

The not-knowing must be tough on everyone over there.

Any plans on what you may do if you are laid off... can you turn it into a silver lining?

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2002 09:27      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
rats...

The not-knowing must be tough on everyone over there.

Any plans on what you may do if you are laid off... can you turn it into a silver lining?

Indeed.. The not knowing part makes it difficult.

The plan stands as such:

I am finishing up polishing my resume. It is a total rework of it and it is getting quite shiny.

Phase 2 will be to submit my resume to different local mailing lists, dice.com, monter.com, techies.com, geekfinder.com

Phase 3 is to apply for positions and get interviews. This is a lot harder than it seems (the getting interviews part).

Phase 4 is to actually get an offer. In this climate, it is harder than 3 even.

Phase 5 is to negotiate a start date after the layoffs.

Phase 6, wait impatiently and hope that I do get laid off so I can get the (quite generous) severance package.

Phase 7, if not laid off, resign.

Phase 8, Start my new job.

Off course, many things could go wrong. I have started to explore alternatives such as if laid off with no other job lined up, getting married a lot earlier than planned so I can apply for a green card and make it a lot easier to find another job. But don't tell the INS quite yet [Wink]

Strangely enough, the optimal solution would be to have another job lined up and to get laid off...

Sigh...

--------------------

Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted October 27, 2002 19:14      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rage, rage against the dying of the job
go not quietly in to that unemployment line

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2002 20:35      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LostInColorado:
On the other hand, it was announced that my employer, Sun Microsystems, will do a faily large layoff (11% of workforce, 4400 employees). Hopefully, I will not be on the dreadful list...

Or maybe, I will be.

I just can't decide wich event would be worst. Or best...

Hey! I still have a job!

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 19, 2002 20:43      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By The Beard Of Peter Gabriel! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RickYaeger

SuperFan!
Member # 1512

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 20, 2002 15:35      Profile for RickYaeger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm still looking for a new job. Things are really slow right now in advertising and nobody seems to have any work to do today...except that person over there sharpening that axe...hmmm...gotta go...gotta look busy...

--------------------
==
One Question Interviews
JoT#534

Posts: 45 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2002 13:05      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RickMacMerc:
Well, I'm still looking for a new job. Things are really slow right now in advertising and nobody seems to have any work to do today...except that person over there sharpening that axe...hmmm...gotta go...gotta look busy...

I am still looking for my next job. I am actively applying to different positions and making contact with some people. But it is so difficult to find anything right now...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture