homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Happy, or complacent?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy, or complacent?
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 22, 2002 22:15      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about this the other day (with moving and all), about the pursuit of happiness. In theory, a person is capable of being happy no matter where they are, geographically or otherwise. Does being perfectly happy where you are and what you're doing make you complacent? Does it make you not dream of a better life that you strive to achieve? I was wondering because I was thinking about where I'm living, where I want to live. It's absolutely beautiful where I live, and I could be absolutely happy here, but I'm thinking, "this is nice, but if only the ocean was warmer, like in Hawaii, why don't I just live there?" I'm wondering if this type of thinking is keeping me from being happy, you know what I mean?
RickYaeger

SuperFan!
Member # 1512

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 22, 2002 22:37      Profile for RickYaeger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Some call it "the curse of the goal oriented" You achieve the goal of happiness you set for yourself only to find that there is another one beyond it. You don't have to be complacent to be happy. The balance is called "contentment."

Watch your cats when they nap. Be the cat.

--------------------
==
One Question Interviews
JoT#534

Posts: 45 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 23, 2002 00:00      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a saying: "the best is the enemy of the good".

In your case it's Hawaii. In my case it was a Suzuki GSXR-750 motorcycle. I liked every other bike that I had, but I kept thinking "this would be more fun on a GSXR". So eventually I bought one. Yeow! I loved that bike more than any other inanimate object I've ever had! It made me much happier than the #2 bike.

On the other hand, I've been to two different universities for undergraduate education, and the difference between my #1 fantasy university and the other one just wasn't crucial to me. Both of them did the job for me.

The catch-22: if you insist on the #1 choice, you might be a "perfectionist"; but if you accept the #2, #3, or #4 choice, you might be "settling" or "compromising". I think it's really situation-dependent. Sometimes it's good to be a perfectionist and insist on #1. Sometimes it's good to settle for #2.

See also Buridan's ass.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2002 05:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the travelling RV with satellite internet? [Smile] Just trying to give you more options to make it worse. [Wink] Seriously, I always think if I have this or I change that, things will be better. But then I hit a brick wall when I find to change this or have that, I need to change this other thing or have this other thing! I think living in the moment helps, but this is really hard to do. It's like trying to think about nothing. I find that my problem is I can never achieve things to my satisfaction. I always come up short, and this depresses me. [Frown]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2002 12:12      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even for an individual, Happiness is not necessarily based on a single formula. I've been "happy":

* travelling at over 100mph on a motorcycle.
* spending 12 continuous hours in front of a computer, sustaining my body on softdrinks and nachos (the result of various games).
* hiking in mountains.

... while some have been known to "Live at a Pace That Kills" , I've been known to live at a pace mistaken for death. (aka. Booooring)

I would say the following: You can seek Perfection and be Happy; however, if you demand Perfection then you are unlikely to find happiness.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2002 13:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was listening to NPR today, and they had a guy on who was talking about this very subject. He has a book called Authentic Happiness. He has a number of questionaires at his web site . If you want to track your progress with the questionaires, you have to register. I think it's free, at the time I was visiting the site it was really slow in bringing up the home page, and not responding after that. A whole lot of people must have been tuned into that same program.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture