homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » First Dips!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Dips!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 12, 2002 22:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today it was pretty hot here on Vancouver Island (hot is relative, compared to the oppressive heat and humidity of Ontario, this is paradise.)

Anyway, I finally took a very quick dip in the lovely Juan de Fuca Strait... a very very very quick dip...the ocean here is about 45 degrees Fahrenheit, or 7 degrees Celcius.

YOWWW!!!!!

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 13, 2002 04:26      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Today it was pretty hot here on Vancouver Island (hot is relative, compared to the oppressive heat and humidity of Ontario, this is paradise.)

Anyway, I finally took a very quick dip in the lovely Juan de Fuca Strait... a very very very quick dip...the ocean here is about 45 degrees Fahrenheit, or 7 degrees Celcius.

YOWWW!!!!!

Sounds refreshing. Around here around Louisville, Kentucky, summer is very oppressive. We live in a valley where all the humidity seems to collect. Smog too. It's been up into the upper 90's, and it's *very* humid. The Ohio River's close by, but only someone with a death wish would swim in it. A few have, and of course, they died. This had more to do with the alcohol level in their bloodstreams and the fact that they didn't see the barge coming than the water quality. I still wouldn't swim in it anyway.

------------------
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2002 05:00      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swimming sounds nice. I wish I could get away from my computer that long. It's pretty hot here in Tokyo, but...

It's O-bon, thank the Buddha! As the spirits of the dear departed return to visit their relatives, everybody heads out of Tokyo for a summer vacation. The result: for one whole week traffic in the metropolitan area is reduced to a ghost of its former level, and the temperature also drops about 5 degrees Celsius. And its quiet at night!

Those of us who are smart enough to stay put find Tokyo pretty pleasant this time of year.

------------------
His name is Bobo. He knows no mercy.

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 13, 2002 06:41      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just got back from northern Sweden (visiting my girlfriend's relatives) and we dipped in a couple of lakes - we didn't measure the temp but they were cold enough not to stay in longer than a few minutes! Weather was gorgeous though - probably 25 C most of the time and sunny - while back home (thirteen degrees further south) it was grim grey and raining! Yessss!!!!!
Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2002 07:32      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last week, we've had a cold spell--the temperature dipped into the low 90s. Going swimming sounds like a great idea; I think I'll pack my suit up and stop off at the pool after work.
Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2002 07:37      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
Well, I just got back from northern Sweden (visiting my girlfriend's relatives) and we dipped in a couple of lakes - we didn't measure the temp but they were cold enough not to stay in longer than a few minutes! Weather was gorgeous though - probably 25 C most of the time and sunny - while back home (thirteen degrees further south) it was grim grey and raining! Yessss!!!!!

Mmm... I love Sweden. I expect it was light enough for you to read outside at three in the morning. It was when I was there (in the Summer, at any rate).

------------------
"No longer empty and frantic like a cat tied to a stick, that's driven into frozen winter shit (the ability to laugh at weakness), calm, fitter, healthier and more productive, a pig in a cage on antibiotics."

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 13, 2002 10:13      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let it be known, that it was I who ran into the ocean first, but stopped at knee level because the rocks were killing my feet! I wasn't going to dip, actually, I was there to encourage Snaggy. It looked like fun, the moon was over the water, and it was really still, and there was a fun, camping-like atmosphere to the whole thing due to people gathering on the beach, laughing and having bonfires and such. I'm thinking a body covering wetsuit and snorkeling gear would be good idea, then we could swim and snorkel around here no problem!
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2002 18:55      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of like swiming in lake Superior.
Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2002 20:47      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frost:
Sort of like swiming in lake Superior.

Brrrr! I swam in Lake Superior once...

...well, actually, I stuck my foot in and ran back shouting "Cold! Cold!"

I was only about eight years old at the time. But I would probably do the same now.

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2002 00:13      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
I'm thinking a body covering wetsuit and snorkeling gear would be good idea, then we could swim and snorkel around here no problem!

Either that, or a trip to Maui would be in order.

That's where I was a year ago...among other things, I went SNUBA-ing in Molokini Crater. (SNUBA is like SCUBA, except the tanks stay on a little raft floating on the surface, and you're attached to them by a 20-foot hose.) It was a bit disconcerting at first, but it was fun once I got used to it. And the ocean life in that crater is something to see...we even saw a little shark!

Some background: Molokini Crater is a small, partly submerged volcanic crater 3 miles off the West Maui coast. The portion of the crater's rim wall that's still above the waterline is a bird sanctuary, and the crater itself is an ocean ecological preserve. Tour boats go out there daily. The boat I was on was the Four Winds II, which sails out of Ma'alaea. Highly recommended.

------------------
Electric Minds - virtual community since 1996. http://www.electricminds.org

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 15, 2002 00:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either that, or a trip to Maui would be in order.

oh ya! I just read about Molokini Crater snorkling today.

I'm trying to figure out how we can go sometime, it looks amazing, (and Nitrozac has never snorkled in tropical water before).

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2002 16:16      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isnt Maui 2nd on the list of possible locations for the Geekculture Cruise/Vacation?

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2002 16:22      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rednivek:
Isnt Maui 2nd on the list of possible locations for the Geekculture Cruise/Vacation?

What's first on the list?

=bd

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2002 23:01      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
I'm trying to figure out how we can go sometime, it looks amazing, (and Nitrozac has never snorkled in tropical water before).

Don't miss it if you can possibly go. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a week there, courtesy of my grandmother, who held a family reunion there. We did the entire experience...seeing the sun rise at the summit of Haleakala, Molokini Crater, the Hana Highway drive, a full-on lu'au (at the Renaissance Wailea), shopping in Lahaina (with a stop for lunch at Cheeseburger in Paradise, for all you Jimmy Buffet fans!), and lots of time to swim, soak up the sun, and relax. It's a trip I'll never forget.

For starters, I recommend you get the guidebook Maui Revealed. It is pretty well acknowledged to be the best guidebook, written by people who live there and know what to look for. My grandmother made endless trips to the Barnes & Noble in Colorado Springs to get enough copies for all the families!

------------------
Electric Minds - virtual community since 1996. http://www.electricminds.org

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JGall
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 00:09      Profile for JGall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man.... a swim would feel soooooooo good right now. The next time im at school, I think I will just sneak on down and take a swim in Lake Menomonee, I was very tempted to do it the last few weeks of freshmen year of college.

hmmmm, it's probably been like... one year since I've even swimmed even. I could really use a swim (especially right now) it would be very great exercise for me right now considering I haven't done much of anything.

------------------
Jon Gall
AIM: JGall20
MSN IM: [email protected]
Yahoo: jgall_17

Posts: 36 | From: Woodbury, MN, USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 16, 2002 01:34      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Mmm... I love Sweden. I expect it was light enough for you to read outside at three in the morning. It was when I was there (in the Summer, at any rate).

Had I wanted to, probably yes!

As for other Swedish things, eating elk and reindeer steaks was cool, but I haven't quite learned to like the little cubes of cheese you're supposed to dunk in your coffee yet...

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 05:57      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering I have to make a sacrifice to the swimming pool god every weekend when I am up at my parents.

Then of course there is a great big lake here, on the other hand with a river running through the middle it does not get that warm. Then again once frostbite sets in you do not feel anything. For Lake Geneva very rarely goes over 20 deg C.

Sweden, nice place I have visited twice, unfortunately I was not old enough really to enjoy it

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 16, 2002 08:56      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can definitevely relate to the experience. I once swam in a lake in Alaska... Very, very, very cold...

------------------
LostInColorado

At first, follow the rules of the game.
If you don't succeed, break the rules.
If you still don't succeed, change them.
If you still don't succeed, just change the game.

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture