homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Genius Party at Macworld Expo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Genius Party at Macworld Expo
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted May 11, 2002 05:05      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am helping to organize a party at Macworld Expo in New York. The primary organizer has in mind a 2 hour open bar at some sort of divey bar. I am leaning towards a large warehouse space with some entertainment and 3 hours. The space would have to be air conditioned, of course, 'cause it can be damned hot in NY in July.

We are entertaining ideas for the party. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am going to NY next weekend for a couple nights of bar hopping with the other organizer to scope out possible places to do the party. I need suggestions for places to go, if anybody knows of any joints in NY.

A few Mac Genius shirts might be highly coveted as door prizes.

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2002 08:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, perhaps this would persuade me to go to MWE this year - last year was not great. Although I don't drink (& legally can't). Of the top of my head, I can't think of any great places - I'll scratch my head a little, and ask some of my drinking friends.
Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2002 21:22      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many Mac Genius shirts will you have as door prizes?

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2002 10:15      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are no Mac Genius shirts available, thanks to Apple Legal. Sorry, dudes.
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2002 20:58      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't mean that some enterprising scoundrel can't make a couple. By the time Apple's legal department gets wind of it, you've vanished, like a phantom, into the night!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2002 19:32      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's for sure.

LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2002 14:53      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope your con went well--what did happen for the shirts?
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2002 18:51      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apple refused press passes to any media outlets which engage in rumors and/or speculation activities. Since GraphicPower.com engages in speculation, they were not issued a press pass. I think then the editor blew a gasket and refused to go to the exhibits or even to ever buy an Apple computer again.

LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2002 08:28      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rednivek:
Apple refused press passes to any media outlets which engage in rumors and/or speculation activities. Since GraphicPower.com engages in speculation, they were not issued a press pass. I think then the editor blew a gasket and refused to go to the exhibits or even to ever buy an Apple computer again.

So they refused passes to the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, et al? What are they but media outlets engaging in rumors or speculation?

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 07, 2002 09:14      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe GraphicPower will switch to writing graphic articles about non-mac tools such as Sony's computer that allows you to draw directly onto the flat screen monitor. I saw someone using one of those on an interior design show, it looked really good!
ber
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1462

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2002 17:02      Profile for ber   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess GraphicPower.com doesn't need info on spaces in NYC any longer? I have a bunch of real estate contacts who rent out warehouses, etc.

ber

Posts: 3 | From: New York, NY USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 08, 2002 06:16      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
Maybe GraphicPower will switch to writing graphic articles about non-mac tools such as Sony's computer that allows you to draw directly onto the flat screen monitor. I saw someone using one of those on an interior design show, it looked really good!

Isn't that what the (Mac-compatible) Wacom Cintiq does?

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2002 04:08      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ber:
So I guess GraphicPower.com doesn't need info on spaces in NYC any longer? I have a bunch of real estate contacts who rent out warehouses, etc.

ber

The Genius Party has been cancelled. I also cancelled my plans to even attend Macworld Expo. Some of my friends have called me and asked me to go anyway, saying that Macworld Expo would not be the same without me.

If I did not go, who would do the Booth Babes photo essay?

If my press pass has not been reinstated, cNet will give me a "letter of assignment." IDG will not mess with cNet.

Some people think that the media pass is little more than a free pass to the Expo. It has nothing to do with getting in free. That is insignificant. It is all about access. The media pass means access to press conferences, private vendor conferences, getting appointments with vendors for interviews and product tests, and access to the keynote. An exhibits pass DOES NOT admit you to the keynote or any of the conferences. It also gives you access to the press work room where you can get out of the bustle to write and post your stories, interact with other members of the media, get information that is posted in the press room about various press only events.

A media person would look foolish trying to arrange a meeting with vendors without the media credentials. You get access to the press lounge where you can meet with vendors and have a beverage.

The media pass is all about access. It is not about a free ride. I spend, on average, $1,000 per expo for travel, lodging, meals, and cab fare. Covering an expo as media is nothing like simply attending the show. It is a lot of work and it is expensive. The pass gives us the ACCESS that we need to do an effective job.

Anybody can regurgitate public relations pablum and press releases. Those of you who buy and use the technology need the media to have excellent access to be able to bring you good information that is not simply an outline of the keynote content or re-written press releases.

------------------
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. -George Carlin
Gra
phicPower-News and
Views for the Graphics
Industry

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2002 08:37      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know Wacom has the mac compatible tablet, I'd love to try it too. Heh, but Sony's computer means one less thing to plug in. On the show I saw, it looked like it was ahead of its time, like the closest thing to Star Trek computers.
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2002 11:10      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Sony machine I think you still have to plug the monitor into the box.
Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2002 17:47      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh... see, this is why I need to read the review!
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2002 20:27      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worm should not confuse himself with the fisherman.

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture