homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Habit???? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Habit????
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2002 15:15      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually prefer sleeping alone. I developed a taste for it after my last long relationship. It took a couple months of getting used to, but now I really loathe sleeping with other people. I have a double bed left over from that, and I actually have no preference which side I sleep on. I generally fall asleep on the left side because it is closer to the light switch and the dresser with the alarm clock. I don't get the opportunity to spread out on the whole bed though, because the instant I fall asleep the sneaky dog is on the other side of the bed. (Dog on bed is officially a violation of household rules since he has his own bed and feels the need to bring gross dog spit covered toys to bed with him. Usually he gets on the bed while I am reading and I just don't have the heart to kick him off.)

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2002 15:58      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Queen bed, sleep on one side rather than the middle, because that's where my lamp is.

It would be better to sleep on either side alternately because the mattress would wear more evenly and I would get more use out of the sheets (twice as much clean sheet surface per laundry load).

Also I have no guest bedroom, so when I have married houseguests, they can sleep together and I can sleep downstairs on my couch.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2002 17:20      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and here I'm still wondering if snupy sleeps in the raw or not...

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2002 17:37      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only the cats know for sure... [Big Grin] (I gotta keep some mystery about me, don't I?)

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2002 10:49      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I find it curious that so many people have double beds, especially at their parents' house.

Somehow, the extra space probably wouldn't be to my liking - a single bed already provides too much space...not tight enough.

I'll tell you what, I will take your single bed with too much space and you can have my twin. I have about 5 inches on either side of me when I am laying on my back. I feel cramped. Can you imagine how I managed to fit two people into it?

Ooh, sorry snupy.

Back to your question, It probably is just habit. You have been sleeping there for a long time. You are used to how it feels. There might be something more psychological to it, but since you are asking I would doubt it. It's kind of like how only a sane person questions their sanity. (uh oh, I've never questioned my sanity. Could that mean...nah!)

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miles
Mini Geek
Member # 790

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted October 24, 2002 13:19      Profile for Miles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I possibly have a simple explanation.

If you sleep with two pillows at the head of the bed but sleep in the middle, then your head will be in the crack between the two pillows. Therefore, in your sleep, you'll always roll to keep you head nice and soft. You could test this theory by putting only one pillow in the center of the bed.

You should also be careful how you define the "middle" of the bed. Because nobody is perfectly symmetric, you'll always be more on one half of the bed than the other. Instead of defining the middle by the halfway line between left and right, you should divide your bed into thirds: left third, middle third, and right third. I suggest duct tape as a good dividers. Count it a success if you wake up mostly in the middle third.

I think if you try these 2 ideas, you can make the most of your large bed and develop a more positive outlook on single-hood. [Smile]

Posts: 98 | From: Columbus, OH, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2002 16:35      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

Ooh, sorry snupy.

Back to your question, It probably is just habit. You have been sleeping there for a long time. You are used to how it feels. There might be something more psychological to it, but since you are asking I would doubt it. It's kind of like how only a sane person questions their sanity. (uh oh, I've never questioned my sanity. Could that mean...nah!)
[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. I don't know if I agree with that. Spungo questions his sanity all the time and..., well, you know. [Wink]

Seriously, though-I never thought of it that way. Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dajt
Mini Geek
Member # 627

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2002 16:55      Profile for dajt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a few years (ten is a few, right?) our queen sized bed developed permanent person-sized indentations on either side, which made sleeping in the middle rather like sleeping on a hilltop. A new mattress solved that paticular problem, but now my wife sleeps in the middle and I sleep on the edge. (she moves over to steal more body heat, then grumbles that I'm too close to her, rinse, repeat.) When it's just the two of us, it's not a problem, but when the little redheads decide to curl up between us for a morning drowse, I end up lying on the bedrail.

--------------------
We've succeeded when a Linux release is front page news.

Posts: 98 | From: Boston MA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 24, 2002 17:17      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dajt:
When it's just the two of us, it's not a problem, but when the little redheads decide to curl up between us for a morning drowse, I end up lying on the bedrail.

Bedrail? Do you live in a hospital? [Smile]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2002 00:58      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about pillows? i don't actually sleep with my head on a pillow, but rather squash my head up against the wall, with the pillow between my head and the wall. apparently i used to do this as a baby, and used to have dents in my head from the bars of my cot.

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 25, 2002 04:06      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
what about pillows? i don't actually sleep with my head on a pillow, but rather squash my head up against the wall, with the pillow between my head and the wall. apparently i used to do this as a baby, and used to have dents in my head from the bars of my cot.

That explains everything. [Big Grin]
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2002 06:05      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol!!!

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2002 17:36      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol.. i stay with a very very small bed (i'm meaning to get something bigger, it's a twin i thiink? whatever it is it's a kiddie bed wtiha foam matress....

usually on my right side.... that is looking at my g4, and back against the wall, on one very thing pillow

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2002 04:08      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i need a bigger bed.. i barely fit into my twin.. my feet hang off the edges.... i need a queen or something so i can go diagonal or something..

on the subject of pillows i have about 3 really big pillows

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2002 21:04            Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I know anything about bed sizes; mine might be a twin, I can't remember. It's something I sleep in, that's the bit that matters. It also showers everything underneath it with large quantities of dust.

Good thing I keep a dust cover on the topmost BBC Micro under it - being careless whilst cleaning the contacts of one of the mod daughterboards of my main one led to the wire snapping, so I had to haul out a spare machine, which is not choked in dust. An Issue 7, too...

IP: Logged
technosquirrel 101
Geek
Member # 1738

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2002 02:16      Profile for technosquirrel 101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i only got a sofa/bed in my room and i've never unfolded the /bed part of it. takes up too much time and space plus it's uncomfortable when the armrest's off. so far i sleep on my left side and fall over against the back of the sofa/ part during sleep.
i dunno what i would do with a queen-size bed. i'd prolly sleep diagonally. but i need a big pillow to put my head in 'cause otherwise my neck would hurt in the morning.

to get to snupy's question(?): i'd say it's just normal to sleep on one side of the bed. a bed that's larger than the space you need to unfold yourself/roll over during sleep gives you a choice where to position yourself on it. 'cause it isn't useful to go more to the middle than you need to (regarding you wanna get up sometime) you take one side that's to your liking. preferences like you sleep there 'cause you always did (habits play a big role in ppls choices) or you're next to the door, light, telephone, whatever let you pick one side.

--------------------
...this post was brought to you by technosquirrel 101. - "who said i had a plan?"

Posts: 142 | From: the "XMS Memory", cabin 934, C-Deck | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2002 07:15      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My "habit" is sleeping with the television on. It started when a began having really bad nightmares on a regular basis, and having the tv on was comforting when I woke up from them because it was some connection to humanity. It's become a habit now even though I don't have the nightmares anymore. In that dream state between waking and sleep, having the tv on can produce some interesting dreams. The dialog from the show that's on enters in your dream, but in a totally different context. I find it hard to sleep without the tv on now because the silence is just boring.
technosquirrel 101
Geek
Member # 1738

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2002 10:10      Profile for technosquirrel 101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
...In that dream state between waking and sleep, having the tv on can produce some interesting dreams. The dialog from the show that's on enters in your dream, but in a totally different context.

hmm, do you remember the experiments with ppl's subconscious perceptions in the U.S. during the early 50's? *mmmh, somehow i feel like buying a hamburger and popcorn...* [Eek!]

i wonder if that applys to your dreams... what do you usually think when you wake up?

--------------------
...this post was brought to you by technosquirrel 101. - "who said i had a plan?"

Posts: 142 | From: the "XMS Memory", cabin 934, C-Deck | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture