homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I did it...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I did it...
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 11, 2002 21:49      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I freed my Windows XP from the tyranny of the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop and the start menu!

Similar thing with Outlook Express....

Now, if only I could afford a Mac...

--------------------
At first, follow the rules of the game.
If you don't succeed, break the rules.
If you still don't succeed, change them.
If you still don't succeed, just change the game.
And if it still doesn't work...

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2002 03:01      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halleluah! Praise the LORD!

AMEN!

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2002 13:24      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No shock there. I'm a hardcore 'Win-Doze' user and I always do that.

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2002 15:45      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lost (and other XP users) have a read of this interesting Register article. It gives tips on how to remove/avoid a rather nasty exploit in XP.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27074.html

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheAnnoyedCockroach
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1115

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2002 17:48      Profile for TheAnnoyedCockroach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People! Abandon your sinful Windoze ways! Come into the light of the holiest Tux, and he shalt set thy soul free!

--------------------
Mosh! Mosh for your suppers!

Posts: 1063 | From: The Devil's Dance Floor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Syntax Error
Mini Geek
Member # 1658

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2002 00:19      Profile for Syntax Error   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All my critical things are Linux right now, and this machine will be Linux as soon as Slackware 9 is released... OOooooh, can't wait for that day. [Eek!]

--------------------
Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.
--- Linus Torvalds

Posts: 76 | From: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2002 09:11      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAnnoyedCockroach:
People! Abandon your sinful Windoze ways! Come into the light of the holiest Tux, and he shalt set thy soul free!

True o true my brother in linuxism. Thou hast said well!

-SM

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anthony C Fielding
Mini Geek
Member # 1490

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted October 11, 2002 05:48      Profile for Anthony C Fielding   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The almighty Tux is lord over all operaing systems(debatable). To become enlightened (lol, Linux users will understand) is to install one of the following...

Slackware Linux
Red Hat Linux
BSD Unix
Suse Linux
Mandrake Linux...
(not in order of coolness)

-By the way which is the best Linux to use, I want you're oppinions here please ppl.
Thanks -My fav is ummm Slackware/BSD

Posts: 60 | From: Manchester/UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2002 06:36      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BSD is NOT Linux. They are two entirely different code bases. A lot of the user level software they run is the same, but the philosophy is different.

Linux has a zillion contributers and lots of support for current hardware and a lot of varience between different distributions. It always trys to be cutting edge. New things get tried out and they sometimes work, sometimes don't. A major feature can entirely change between releases. It also adopted many System V'isms for administration (particularly the /etc/rc.d subsystem)

FreeBSD is built on the original BSD code base that gave birth to SunOS (up to 4.x, 5.x and beyond is system V). It's kernel is totally rock solid. It's networking is probably more stable than Linux. The firewall capabilities are more flexible. My experience is that it makes better use of the hardware.

There are also other BSDs. NetBSD tries to be really cutting edge. It's great for people who like that. It's generally unsafe for server applications. You can find the others with a google search.

The choice depends of the application. For your desktop you want a Linux distro. Either redhad or slackware will do. I recommend those not from any comparison, but because they won the market wars. My company sells software that runs on many Unix and Linux distributions. The only requests we get for Linux are redhat and slackware.

On the other hand, if you are running a mission critical server, go with FreeBSD. You'll thank yourself in the morning.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dajt
Mini Geek
Member # 627

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2002 11:25      Profile for dajt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, if you're running a mission-critical server, run OpenBSD, because security matters. So what if the install feels like putting 4.3BSD on a VAX, and nothing feels "cutting-edge" about it. You don't want whizz-bang, you want your box to still *be* yours tomorrow. And you can't stop there. Keep the patchlevel up to date.

On the other hand, my desktop machines are Linux, and my game machine is Windows 98. Use the right tool for the job.

--------------------
We've succeeded when a Linux release is front page news.

Posts: 98 | From: Boston MA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
graphicrevolution
Mini Geek
Member # 1748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2002 09:54      Profile for graphicrevolution   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was gonna say, maybe you should free your machine from Windows XP, and move on to some Linux, or FreeBSD..That's right! I said Linux OR FreeBSD...maybe I swing both ways..you got a problem with that? Yeah, anyway, I don't believe to be breakin' down any walls there, just having a laugh.

--------------------
Hey, what's that on your face?

Posts: 61 | From: outside philadelphia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2002 18:39      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to install Linux, donno which flavor, on my beige G3 just to fool around with it, but I never did. Now I've got OS X and I'm playing with Perl, PHP and MySQL. Maybe some day...

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture