homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I hate being deaf

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I hate being deaf
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 04, 2002 20:35      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot speak but only use sign language in alternative communicate with someone who know my language, also. It's seem not enough people out there. I wish I was born hearing. I would able to speaking well and help my grammer imrpove becasuse of speak english infulence. Which cause delay of my late learning in english. It's very difficult for me to learn how speech. I am not able to understand myself what excatly I am saying and I lost my grib. I knew very few deaf poeple who able speak very well as oral. I am so mad!

P.S. If I were hearing, I want to be firefighter.

Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
platypus
Alpha Geek
Member # 991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2002 20:55      Profile for platypus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see how that would be frustrating. I see my friends who are artists and better programmers, and I get jealous. I imagine I don't really understand how it would be do deal with something like that on an even more fundamental level.

------------------
pages:
www.thelemur.net
www.saintehlers.com
www.squishbox.org

Posts: 302 | From: Provo, UT | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2002 06:07      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
think of it as a unique gift. Hearing is both a blessing and a curse.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 05, 2002 09:28      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by platypus:
I can see how that would be frustrating. I see my friends who are artists and better programmers, and I get jealous. I imagine I don't really understand how it would be do deal with something like that on an even more fundamental level.

I found myself as being deaf. My brain left the space of "hearing function", which is dead. Some else take over for more control, like increase intellgience on see, think, feel, and taste. No wonder, I turn out most talent in graphic designer/artist. I find very difficult to doing a speech to doing a display on my artwork.

iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 05, 2002 09:31      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were deaf, what would you do? How can you get on the carreer that most of job required use speech? Nobody hearing understand me and keeping saying "nothing" as not important. And they avoid me and even on the job.
TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 05, 2002 11:59      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by iballoondesigner:
I found myself as being deaf. My brain left the space of "hearing function", which is dead. Some else take over for more control, like increase intellgience on see, think, feel, and taste. No wonder, I turn out most talent in graphic designer/artist.

absolutely. my husband is a graphic designer, and the best artist/designer we know was born deaf. his sense of color and space is breathtaking.

he is very good at reading lips, and was taught some speech, so we can have a little conversation -- but certainly not as good as he has with his hearing family who sign.

is there anywhere you can be taught to read lips and do some minimal speaking? with close hearing friends that should be enough to allow for some meaningful communication.
for example, we know that it's much easier for our friend david to read lips if we speak very softly, though we don't know why. so we speak very softly and look directly at him, so he can see our mouths clearly.

i hope you will be ok in this world that is so difficult for the deaf.

------------------
.--. .-. --- - ---

Posts: 250 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2002 14:40      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deafness may not be such a barrier in a few years.  Take a look at this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/sci/tech/newsid_1848000/1848431.stm

ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2002 15:23      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still hoping for cybernetic bodies, mine is almost beyond it's service life. The parts are slowly starting to go bad, and I wouldn't mind an upgrade. Wish I could've been born a long time later......Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 05, 2002 15:26      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tau Zero, that BBC news about "digital character 'talk' to the deaf" sound very interest. It would take lot of times until that device would be much improve into own articial intelligence to doing an interpreting for deaf. It's like C-3PO! Would that be wonderful?

I hope he better not being like Hal. Scary!

macadddikt18
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2002 19:39      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sometimes i think we put to much faith in technology.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 06, 2002 10:51      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TechnoGram:
is there anywhere you can be taught to read lips and do some minimal speaking? with close hearing friends that should be enough to allow for some meaningful communication. for example, we know that it's much easier for our friend david to read lips if we speak very softly, though we don't know why. so we speak very softly and look directly at him, so he can see our mouths clearly.

i hope you will be ok in this world that is so difficult for the deaf.

Well, I tried but I have limited understandable on read lip. Someday, I would like to take special class to learn more about speech whatever I able afford for the tuition after I get out of the college by end of spring and earn degree. Wish me good luck and thank for shared.

TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2002 13:19      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wish me good luck and thank for shared.

i absolutely wish you good luck

and please keep us posted on how you're doing

------------------
.--. .-. --- - ---

TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 13, 2002 10:46      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to be posting twice in a row, but check out the dates...

anyhow, here's another techy hope for you, iballoondesigner.

------------------
.--. .-. --- - ---

fromagirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2002 04:25            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey balloon ..... I'm a cute chick and I know ASL .... I live in a community that has a very active deaf community .... I am proficient enough to have had a long term relationship with a deaf ex (discluding stories about family and friends who are deaf)... blah, blah, blah .... look guy ... you can do "almost" anything that you want, which is more than lots of people can say ... it's obvious that you're intelligent ... if you take in the "BIG picture" you see that, in a world view, we all have difficulty communicating ... AND that when you can count your blessings on more than one hand ... in this world you are lucky .... I mean, i'm not trying to be unsymapathic or anything ... just honest .... you're smart and likeable ... which is a lot more than many people can say for themselves (shite, include me in there ... heehee) .... here's my point: everybody has a hard time (a.k.a. i hate this about me... ) .... you rock .... don't trip ... it's all good .. and you'll see, it will be ... lo blah deeee, lo blah daaa, life goes onnnnnnn .... lala how the life goes on ....

p.s. i don't know where that is from originally, but it is the theme to an old school primetime show ... and well, it always seems to sum things up quite well ... you know, when things seem to be a lot ..... well, at least for me ....

IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2002 07:38      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Beatles song.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 17, 2002 08:04      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fromagirl:
you rock .... don't trip ... it's all good .. and you'll see, it will be ... lo blah deeee, lo blah daaa, life goes onnnnnnn .... lala how the life goes on ....

Right -- it's a Beatles song, and it's called
Obla Di, Obla da

Obla Di, obla da, life goes on, braa,
La la how the life goes on.
Obla Di, obla da, life goes on, braa,
La la how the life goes on.

------------------
.--. .-. --- - ---

iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 17, 2002 19:35      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
formagirl, I have met several cute interpreter-student at my community college. It's ,sort of, same thing what you saying to me after they (interpreter-student) saw my skill in graphic designer are high genius.

iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted March 22, 2002 10:44      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I feel so embarrassem whether I have post on any topic and my thing been tell aren't sense enough for hearing to understand what I am try to tell. I don't feel so comfortable if I use easy word like I am act like kid without know advance words to use. Everytime, I have to look up on dictionary to make sure and put something to tell. Maybe I am not fit for this forum.
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 22, 2002 10:52      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by iballoondesign:
Man, I feel so embarrassem whether I have post on any topic and my thing been tell aren't sense enough for hearing to understand what I am try to tell. I don't feel so comfortable if I use easy word like I am act like kid without know advance words to use. Everytime, I have to look up on dictionary to make sure and put something to tell. Maybe I am not fit for this forum.

Hey, guy !

As a conservative politician here once said: 'Don't let the bastards get you down!' I for one have enjoyed your posts. As far as I'm aware there are only two ranks of individuals on this forum - S&N, and the rest of us - and I'm pretty sure 'the rest of us' means anyone who feels like reading/lurking/posting here. We just finished a big row the other week about this issue and I thought it was quite encouraging that the tentative conclusion of the whole mess was that no one has the right to censor the content of this board - apart from the aforementioned S&N.

So, keep on postin', dude!

------------------
"The amity that wisdom knits not, folly may easily untie."

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 25, 2002 08:01      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you are more than welcome here and a lot fitter than a few of the other posters that have passed through here.

For one you are showing, to me, a large amount of courage of posting here dispite your disability. You post on what subjects interest you and you have interesting points to put.

There are those out there who are fightened by differences, ignore them and 'Keep on Posting'

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted March 25, 2002 15:36      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
'Keep on Posting'

that would make a great mudflap, I wonder how a pair of mudflaps would look on My computer.........Z

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheAnnoyedCockroach
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1115

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2002 16:18      Profile for TheAnnoyedCockroach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like the mudflaps with Marvin the Martian on 'em.

Oh yeah, and keep on posting iballoondesign. You have a brilliant mind that needs to be shared amongst the masses. Or at the very least, us.

------------------
If you flip a coin a thousand times, how many times would it end up heads?

Posts: 1063 | From: The Devil's Dance Floor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2002 19:54      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by iballoondesign:

hey, i haven't any problems understanding you! and what do you mean you're not fit for this forum??

you can't talk that way about my friend.

iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 25, 2002 21:18      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I feel better after read from your rely. I have been keep quite for awhile and think. Not in hard or beat my brain up... Just smile myself and go ahead and keep post.

Thank geeks

------------------
Riding on the balloon, flow over the world...

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture