homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » non-psycho in need of assistance (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: non-psycho in need of assistance
graphicrevolution
Mini Geek
Member # 1748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2002 12:17      Profile for graphicrevolution   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is horribly bad, but here it goes;
I just decided to start dating again. The problem is, my BS detector is consistantly on the fritz and I keep finding crazy, crazy girls. I'm not looking to pimp myself out, but I do need to take some sort of action in the right direction. I'd just like proof that all girls are not nuts. If you'd like to learn more about me, you can go to my website, which is listed in my profile. I think you can get a good idea of who I am by checking it out. Worst case scenario, I make some cool friends. Equally, any advice on filtering out the "touched" ones would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Hey, what's that on your face?

Posts: 61 | From: outside philadelphia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2002 09:12      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, not every girl is crazy. I'm not sure whether I'd count myself as being totally sane, but hey [Smile] A little craziness is a good thing, though, right? I mean, who would want to go out with someone *shudder* normal??

I don't know whether there truly is a system to filter out crazies, but you seem like a nice chap - I think with any luck it'll work for you the way it does with a lot of people - you wade through all the insane, irritating and creepy people in the hope that the perfect person will come along at some point. It all comes down to luck, I guess - even if you do pimp yourself out, the chances of meeting someone that you just have chemistry with are pretty slim.

But just in case you do need some tips, here are a few warning signs:

• girls called Tallulah
  • girls with pet-names for their underwear
  • girls with plastic toy unicorns all around their bedrooms
  • Americans [Wink]
Good luck [Smile]
sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2002 15:29      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best rule of thumb is get to know the person you are thinking about dating. Hang out for a while, at work, at school, wherever. You really can't tell someone has an entire baggage train or screwy mental issues until you spend some time with them. A few casual conversations could even indicate.

Some definite stuff to avoid:
-19 or older and still lives with parents. "You are planning on cutting those apron strings, right?" (Waive this one only for extenuating circumstances, parent very ill, still in school, etc.)
-Talks big but never acts. "So when *are* you going to get off your ass and grow some ambition?"
-Constantly blames ex's for problems in relationships. "It takes two to tango, baby." (And remember, in a year and a half all their 'issues' are going to be *your* fault.)
-MITIN. If they are telling you about their terrible childhood, horrible ex's, drug problems, etc. just walk away. The only reason people share personal stuff like that way with strangers or near-strangers is a need for sympathetic attention. "Hold on dear, let me adjust your spotlight."

We all have our levels of tolerance... "It's OK if he does pot, but no heroin." Use your judgement. No one is perfect, you need to decide if you can handle their flaws the same way they have to make that decision about you. Decide what is truly important and don't let go of those standards. There is a whole world of difference between 'lonely' and 'alone' and neither of them should influence your decision to be with someone.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
graphicrevolution
Mini Geek
Member # 1748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2002 20:53      Profile for graphicrevolution   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your both completely right.. I think my problem is mainly that I attract crazies (or at least fear that I do..) I'm not personally big on drama, I don't bitch about my screwy childhood, and I'm not looking for someone to give me a hug. The truth is, I like being alone, There are a lot of freedoms that go with it. I'm just looking to find out if, when it comes time, that I'm not drawn to the wrong people.. Equally, I don't expect any of you to figure it out for me. Just looking for objective feedback. girls are always better translators of girls than I could ever be.. Thanks. [Wink]
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2002 21:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar problem with guys. I always seem to attract the freaks. Even the ones who seemed normal at first turned out to be freaks. I've come to the conclusion you can't tell, so I'm just staying out of the game.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 03, 2002 13:03      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Nah, not every girl is crazy. I'm not sure whether I'd count myself as being totally sane, but hey A little craziness is a good thing, though, right? I mean, who would want to go out with someone *shudder* normal??

Apparently uilleann does! The last time I talked to him, he thought I was drunk and with a 'fever' because I was bein' me senial self, typing things like "Oh no! Geekgirl has left her wonderful Crystal Geyser Elixer of Life in Unit 3! What is Geekgirl to do!?" and "Oh the perils! *flies to kitchen countertop, a close two feet away*"... Now is that so bad? I think NOT.

quote:
But just in case you do need some tips, here are a few warning signs:
  • girls with pet-names for their underwear

Is it oki if I have a name for my pillow (Bees) and my blanket (Binkie)?
quote:

• Americans [Wink]

Hey now! All Americans aren't blockheads [Frown]
Anywho, I second the 'good luck'. I, as well, have some things for you to stay away from:

• Carnis (1: just don't)
  • Blondies (1: I think you know [Roll Eyes] )
  • Women with really, really long hair (1: she could try and choke you with it, 2: people could mistake her for a dog)
  • Asians (1: they could try and 'go Matrix' on you if you want to break up, 2: they could be a Carni)
  • Women who've had plastic surgery (1: they'll always be asking you if they should get their butt 'done', 2: something could peel off)
Some types you might want to look into:
  • Women who were Catholic/private school girls (1: all that religion-nastiness has turned them away from the light [heehee!])
  • Women who thought The Ring was the scariest movie ever, and it's the reason why they want to go see it again... and again... (1: 'nough said)
  • Women who did obscenely strange, criminal-like things to their Barbies when they were little
  • Women who wouldn't be embarrassed if you wore her knickers and/or a suit of red, yellow, or purple velvet
... They're not crazy!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
[Smile]

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2002 17:07      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>It all comes down to luck, I guess - even if you do pimp yourself out, the chances of meeting someone that you just have chemistry with are pretty slim.

Yes, Sky-once again I agree. The sad thing is, the chances of being able to make it work are even slimmer-although I used to believe otherwise. [Frown]

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2002 18:06            Edit/Delete Post 
*rolls eyes and sighs at Twinkle Toes and wanders away*
IP: Logged
graphicrevolution
Mini Geek
Member # 1748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2002 18:31      Profile for graphicrevolution   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Americans
yeah, I'm not so big on americans, but being as I'm here, I'll settle. at this point, I'm looking for allies.

--------------------
Hey, what's that on your face?

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 04, 2002 05:32      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell's wrong with Americans?

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 04, 2002 06:10      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
What the hell's wrong with Americans?

They're just jealous of us. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 06:17      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know. I think it's 'cause we get all the good food and television. And most of us have ambition and a spine. [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 06:29      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And whom might you be referring to there?

Oh, yeah - don't forget the guns - we're real jealous of your liberal gun laws - we'd love them over here! [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 06:50      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm..yeah, you got me there. Plus when I want to go away for the weekend, I can go to Indiana-you can go to France. [Frown]

Since it was a Brit that made the first anti-American comment, that's whom I was referring to. [Wink]

EDIT: Don't forget-you're the one who told me about the 'why bother' attitude. [Razz]

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 06:57      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm... what a sneaky little get-out... ever thought of becoming a lawyer? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 04, 2002 07:41      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

Oh, yeah - don't forget the guns - we're real jealous of your liberal gun laws - we'd love them over here! [Wink]

Yes, that would make your football matches much more interesting...football hooligans with guns! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 07:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

Yes, that would make your football matches much more interesting...football hooligans with guns! [Big Grin]
What a blindingly fantastic idea! I wonder which team would have the worst violence... I suppose it would have to be... Arsenal. [Wink]
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 04, 2002 08:56      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the same problem. I took a hard look at the common characteristics that I found attractive in each lass and then quit dating girls with those characteristics. End of problem.

Who'd have thought that pre-goth hardcore punkers would have a screw loose?

Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
invisikitty
Mini Geek
Member # 1764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 09:00      Profile for invisikitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Minsc:

Funny. What was your first clue [Razz]

--------------------
"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively,
there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we
are the imagination of ourselves.....Here's Tom with the weather. "

Bill Hicks

Posts: 98 | From: ...under the couch.... | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 10:08      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by invisikitty:
quote:

Tattoos of anime cats.
Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
invisikitty
Mini Geek
Member # 1764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 10:28      Profile for invisikitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by invisikitty:
quote:

Tattoos of anime cats.
Hey! No fair! I wasn't talking about me...I have waay more than just one screw loose. Amatuers...

--------------------
"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively,
there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we
are the imagination of ourselves.....Here's Tom with the weather. "

Bill Hicks

Posts: 98 | From: ...under the couch.... | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 18:23      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
-19 or older and still lives with parents. "You are planning on cutting those apron strings, right?" (Waive this one only for extenuating circumstances, parent very ill, still in school, etc.)

I didn't move out 'till I was 22, My little brother is almost 22 and still at home. I guess it is a good thing we were both into school>;o) ..........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted November 04, 2002 18:27      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I have a similar problem with guys. I always seem to attract the freaks. Even the ones who seemed normal at first turned out to be freaks. I've come to the conclusion you can't tell, so I'm just staying out of the game.

darn, and I was just gonna send out an invite too [Razz] .......Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 18:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

darn, and I was just gonna send out an invite too [Razz] .......Z
Sorry to rain on your parade. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 05, 2002 06:59      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Gresham's Law operates in the dating pool.

Here's my personal test: when I'm attracted to a woman, I imagine that she's a man. (Yeah, I know, I am wide open for Spungo here). If she were a man, would I still be interested in hanging out with her and having a friendly relationship with her? That separates out the physical attraction from the character attraction.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture