homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » geekiness= what because some seem to think....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: geekiness= what because some seem to think....
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 24, 2003 12:49      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being the quiz addict that I am I was taking some quizzes a moment ago and I stumbled open a few that seem to think all geeks have hubble glasses(with tape),pocket protecters,and aren't popular in the least bit.Now in my vision I thought this was a nerd(no sterotype intended).What's your vision of a nerd and what's your vision on a geek?Because I myself am very confused.

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2003 07:30      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my interpertation ...

Geeks tend to be social misfits who will talk your ear off about some "uncool" subject if you let them. Think about what you did to the last lay person who asked what a DNS error meant. That was geeky.

Nerds have no social skills and would never stop to answer any stupid question about DNS. They are to damn busy doing their thing.

As for clothing what you describe is usually associated with nerds. Geeks tend to be different. Wearing things considered "uncool" by the ruling social class.

I've been called both and I'd rather be either one than some Boy band reject wanna be who thinks binary means you swing both ways.

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2003 10:01      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Yeah, I been in your shoes too...

I am ashamed to admit fashion does have a little influence on what I wear.

<plug>However, one can be both fashionable, *and* geeky, by wearing clothes from here!</plug>

[Razz]

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2003 13:54      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
Heh. Yeah, I been in your shoes too...

I am ashamed to admit fashion does have a little influence on what I wear.

<plug>However, one can be both fashionable, *and* geeky, by wearing clothes from here!</plug>

[Razz]

Ahhh Think Geek ! The Abercrombie and Fitch of the geek hurd! A lot of my gear comes from there !

Dave

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 25, 2003 15:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! [Roll Eyes] You can be much hipper, cool and fashionable if you shop here . [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 26, 2003 20:47      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warning: thread hijack ahead:

quote:
geekiness=what because some seem to think....
are you trying to say that geekiness now holds the value of "what because some seem to think", or just checing if its value is "what because some seem to think"?
Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2003 05:08      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by unclefungus:

quote:
are you trying to say that geekiness now holds the value of "what because some seem to think", or just checing if its value is "what because some seem to think"?
Warning Thread Hijack Hijack ahead:

That depends on what language is being used. C and most other high level languages geekiness is being assigned the value "what because some seem to think"

To check the value in C would be
geekines == "what because some seem to think".

Warning Thread Hijack Hijack Hijack ahead:

There are other possibilities but this is the simplest explanation and according Occam's Razor most likely correct [Big Grin]

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2003 12:09      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by unclefungus:

quote:
I wrote "what some people seem to think" because labels(such as geek or nerd) are in the eyes of the beholder.You may think that geeks look like blank but someone else might say that's what a nerd looks like.I was just wondering what the distinction was between the two in your eyes.

--------------------

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2003 14:30      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hasnt this discussion been done a few times before?

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2003 14:33      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
hasnt this discussion been done a few times before?

Most likely but I am fairly new here

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted December 27, 2003 14:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geek v. Nerd
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2003 15:19      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Geek v. Nerd

thanks for the link

--------------------

unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 27, 2003 22:25      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I wrote "what some people seem to think" because labels(such as geek or nerd) are in the eyes of the beholder.You may think that geeks look like blank but someone else might say that's what a nerd looks like.I was just wondering what the distinction was between the two in your eyes.

I do know what you meant, I suppose I should have made my "</sarcasm>" tag visible.

But since it was mentioned, What programming languages (compilable executables, interpretedon the fly, or emmulated machines only, no mark-up syntaxes)do ya'll like/!like? To answer my own, I've done some C++, but I think I like FORTRAN 77 better, for the raw number crunchedness it has. (/me can live w/ out graphics)

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
aberrantgeek
Geek
Member # 2336

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2003 15:26      Profile for aberrantgeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this Geek Vs. Nerd thing has been discussed here and often times between awkward silence during conversations with people who cant understand why I call myself a geek. The point is that they are just words, people can use them however they want to and they have. Geek means a guy who bites the head off of live animals and Nerd is a character in Dr. Seuss. Oh and im a Perl/C++ man myself.

--------------------
"Everyone's life sucks" -Jerry Seinfield

AIM SN=aberrantgeek

Posts: 106 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2003 16:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I'm going to go in th other direction I thought the off-topic nature was going - that the subject of this thread makes no sense at all...grammar is just not present in it. " what because some seem to think.... " just leaves me staring at it saying "What?!"

Ohhhhh! Finally, as I took a sip of this tea (which I am so stupidly balancing on the edge of my laptop), it dawned on me what that sentence fragment is supposed to mean.

Geekiness = What? I ask this because some seem to think [that]....
(Where '=' means 'Geekiness _is_ what?' Of course, a better means of phrasing that would be "What is geekiness?")

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture