homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » FedEx are shown to be hosebags by novel-product transport methods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FedEx are shown to be hosebags by novel-product transport methods
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 27, 2003 19:51      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Introduction

Many parcel delivery services are available for use by society. General expectations are that if a 2-day delivery is selected, the parcel will arrive at its destination upon the evening of the second, or in extreme cases, third day from date of shipping. This assumption was tested by acquisition of a novel product from a third party vendor.

Methods

Using a coupon for a $20(US) discount for PC 2700 DDR SDRAM from a hardware vendor, a 512MB memory module was ordered. As a further incentive, the coupon included free 2nd Day Shipping with FedEx. The order was placed early (2am CST) Wednesday October 23, 2003 and shipped the following day at 2:48 PM.

Results

The experiment is still in progress, but already some conclusions are available.

Shipment trail

Oct 23, 2003
2:48 pm
Pickup status
IRVINE CA
Pre-routed meter pkg picked up

7:13 pm
Left FedEx Origin Location
IRVINE CA

Oct 24, 2003
2:03 am
Left FedEx Sort Facility
LOS ANGELES CA

5:53 am
Arrived at FedEx Ramp
SAN DIEGO CA

10:41 am
Left FedEx Ramp
SAN DIEGO CA

3:16 pm
Arrived at Sort Facility
FORT WORTH TX

3:40 pm
Held at Sort Facility
FORT WORTH TX

Oct 25, 2003
5:03 pm
Left FedEx Sort Facility
FORT WORTH TX

8:22 pm
Arrived at FedEx Ramp
OKLAHOMA CITY OK

Oct 27, 2003
7:50 pm
Left FedEx Sort Facility
FORT WORTH TX

Note: Destination is in Texas

Conclusion

FedEx routing is run by demented chinchillas with all the reflexes of a paralyzed weasel intent on torturing me by repeatedly sending my RAM to different states. buncha hosebags...

Disclaimer:
no offense if anyone here happens to work for FedEx, I know its an isolated incident, I'm just venting

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2003 05:34      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My FedEx Express package always seem to get here on time. However, the one time I ordered something via FedEx Ground, it never arrived. It may in fact have been delivered, but the standard procedure around here is that if the recipient is not home, leave the parcel at the apartment office. Instead, it may have been left at my front door, where all sorts of strange people could have taken it. After calling them a few times I have since given up on it.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 14, 2003 16:03      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
really fast shipping should only be needed when you need it really fast. I personally order things and them forget about them. then I'm very happy when I get stuff in the mail by supprise. I think you may have better luck with fast shipping if every one used it only when needed and not all the time. But I'm not going to try to convince the GP of that [ohwell]

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2003 22:00      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fast shipping works because lots of people use it. If the demand was not high enough, it wouldn't be as fast or reliable. Such is the nature of the beast.

Given that, I usually pick the cheapest option unless the faster shipping is nearly as cheap. And usually the cheapest is still fast, compared to when I was a wee tike. Also, I often buy things online because it is cheaper and I don't have to go hunting for the item I want in various actual stores. If I can't get it within a few days, I'll pay the brick-n-mortar premium for instant gratification.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2003 00:19      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i always get the cheapest option because it seems it all gets here late anyways

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2003 04:16      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lex: I just got skis for 500 dollars off online!
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2003 17:01      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were these US dollars?

And did you properly wax the skiis after you got them?

With teflon?

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2003 17:48      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lex:
Were these US dollars?

And did you properly wax the skiis after you got them?

With teflon?

Hehe...
Yes, they were US dollars, though I got the bindings from Canada.
They [the skis] are scheduled to come on the 2nd of december, and no, I will not wax or tune them when they come - they come pre-tuned from the factory. But as the season progresses, I do use Dr. D's wicked wax [Smile]

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture