homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Worse than getting teeth pulled. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Worse than getting teeth pulled.
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted July 09, 2003 23:43      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever coined that phrase should be shot.

Anyhow, back to my ice pack on my now empty wisdom tooth socket.

Just my Rant for today [Wink]

TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2003 23:53            Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain!

I'd take a root canal over another tooth extraction! But then again I did get vicodin out of it [Wink] I had a tooth extracted a couple of months ago and she had a hell of a time removing it, it kept splitting and cracking as it was a tooth that had a root canal and crown done to it years ago. I was surprised I was not as sore as I had anticipated the next day but my body definitely had some shock going on and I slept lots the 1st 2 days.

quote:
Originally posted by Titanium Warrior:
Whoever coined that phrase should be shot.

Anyhow, back to my ice pack on my now empty wisdom tooth socket.

Just my Rant for today [Wink]

TiW

IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2003 08:46      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wisdom teeth are a cruel joke. At least there are strong painkillers [Big Grin] [Wink] [crazy] [crazy] [evil] [thumbsup]

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 10, 2003 22:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OUCH!

I tried to go without getting mine pulled, but they would flair up twice a year or so and be very painful. So, i finally had them done... all four at once... YOW! Reminded me of dentistry in the middle ages or something! prying against my other teeth with a little crowbar thingy...... OMG!

Even worse... the Tylenal 3 pain killers made me sick...

It was a rough few days to say the least. [cry baby]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ArmyGeek
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2232

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted July 10, 2003 23:12      Profile for ArmyGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first 2 wisdom teeth that the Army pulled out hurt like hell but I got Pergset <sp>. The last one just came right out and didn't hurt in the least. My friend got some wisdom teeth pulled about 2 months ago and all they gave him was Motrin for pain.

AG

--------------------
"Today is a Good Day to Die," by The Unknown Redshirt

MistecMcetsiM
Mini Geek
Member # 2212

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2003 00:35      Profile for MistecMcetsiM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had braces a long time ago, and it was always a strange feeling when the dentist removed/re-attached some metal piece to it. I'm not sure of the specifics, but he always used this metal plyers type tool to re-attach the pieces. The feeling of that cold steel against my gums coupled with the click (when he forced the metal piece back on) and resulting ringing of my teeth down to the nerve endings always made me feel queesy. [cry baby]

--------------------
Mistakes are inevitable, but to fear failure is the real mistake. ~Me

Posts: 79 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2003 08:42      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my lower wisdom teeth out years ago; they gave me general anethesia - but not quite enough. I woke up somewhere around the middle of the process.

While I didn't feel any pain at the time, I do distinctly remember the pounding sensation as the surgeon applied a hammer and chisel to a recalcitrant root. They quickly put me back under when they realized I was paying attention.

Hmm. So no one has yet weighed in on how having wisdom teeth out compares to giving birth?

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 11, 2003 11:57      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've got a wobbly wisdom tooth that hurts like fsck... i won't have to get it pulled out will i? i'm petrified of the dentist... [Eek!]

love from your worried friend in the biscuit tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 11, 2003 12:05      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fear not, spoonie, they've got to forcefully extract all four of my wisdom teeth... *wince*

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2003 12:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Petrified, eh? /me remembers an old thread in this Forum [Wink] . See, snupes, some of us also value the older, good stuff [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cryptOrchid
Geek
Member # 2249

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2003 12:33      Profile for cryptOrchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had all four removed on one day... and my whole mouth was numb for hours, it was funnnnnnn. well the numb part of it.

Dentists love sticking their big tools in your mouth, perverts!

--------------------
I can't answer that without more information.

Posts: 130 | From: space | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 11, 2003 12:41      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

but seriously, will i have to go to the dentist? i mean i'm eating lots of garlic (it really helps toothache!) but it hurts when i don't. also, one of my other wisdom teeth (why are they called that anyway?) has actually cracked, and i have half a tooth in my mouth...

THIS DOESN'T MEAN DENTIST DOES IT!!!???
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

love from the biscuit tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------

Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2003 13:17      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spoongirl:
[Big Grin]

but seriously, will i have to go to the dentist? i mean i'm eating lots of garlic (it really helps toothache!) but it hurts when i don't. also, one of my other wisdom teeth (why are they called that anyway?) has actually cracked, and i have half a tooth in my mouth...

Hmmmm I would say go.... It took me 16 years to finally go see mine about my wisdom teeth. I have had the fortune of never having a cavity in my life, however that said, the irritation you're experiencing could be infection or cavity and will cause more grief in the end. If you have a good dental plan, go in. I had the option of being put under, but I chose to just stay awake through the proceedure.

Cheers
TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 11, 2003 13:32      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ummm... i kind of threw a hissy fit the last time i went to my dentist (bout a year ago... [Roll Eyes] ), and now they won't take me back [blush] and i've got to go with my parents to find a new dentist coz i'm still only 15... but i can't back down from this! ('i'm never going to the dentist again! they hurt you on purpose! they're all [email protected], and i DON'T WANT TO GO!') damn my pride!

although it hurts like a giraffe stepping on my head and conga dancing in my mouth... hmm, that's quite strange...

i'm pretty sure it's an infection... ho hum. (the phrase that solves all, like the Aussie 'no worries')

--------------------

ArmyGeek
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2232

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted July 11, 2003 15:26      Profile for ArmyGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dentist are Satins Spawns in this world they are evil, evil I say

AG

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2003 16:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyGeek:
Dentist are Satins Spawns in this world they are evil, evil I say

AG

Ha! Satin? As in the silk like fabric?

That reminds me of this moron from high school who spray painted "Satin Rules" on the side wall of the Catholic church. The cops caught up with him and he caved and confessed when they asked him how to spell Satan....he spelled it S-A-T-I-N.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArmyGeek
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2232

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted July 11, 2003 16:38      Profile for ArmyGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw crap where is that darn dictonary when you need darn seplling.

AG

--------------------

Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2003 10:32      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spoongirl:
[Big Grin]

Eating lots of garlic huh? well, You'll at least repel vampire dentists. [Razz]

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 12, 2003 10:51      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, well, where have you been the past few days? [Smile] not that i'm on here every day or everything, having such an active social life... [blush] or not...
yeah, apparently garlic is this old remedyfor toothache, as my grandma spent ages telling me after i'd found out for myself... [Roll Eyes]
but it still hurts, and i hate dentists... oh bother...

love from your friend in the biscuit tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2003 19:14      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh I had one WT removed by itself because it was growing straight towards the front of my mouth and imacpting my other teeth then had the other three pulled over Christmas break. about 36 hours after getting them pulled I went to a nice primerib dinner and there was no way I was going to let a little thing like 3 gaping wounds in my mouth stop me from enjoying it. I paid the price the next day but it was worth it. Anyway into the gory details... Only a local anestetic so I could hear all the unruly noises and taste the blood somewhat. ick!!! anyway afterword the dentist told me to take Advil and stay away from Asprin for a while. My dentist is a Sadist for sure. He is a nice guy though and we are kind of friends outside the office. (I am also one of the guys they have come it when he is getting new assistants because I don't bite down when they screw up.) Well anyway for me it wasn't bad; I just looked like a chipmunk for a while.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MistecMcetsiM
Mini Geek
Member # 2212

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2003 23:16      Profile for MistecMcetsiM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoonie: I'm sorry to hear about your tooth trouble. It sounds like the doc might fix things up for you and relieve your pain. Remember that it will only be momentary pain and lasting freedom from your plight. If you're very concerned about pain, try to find a dentist who practices painless dentistry. Make sure they use Novicaine, and then when they apply the needle, they use the gum softening sludge (whatever the heck it is), makes you hardly feel the needle. You can also just be put out like others have said with anistetics (don't care how it's spelled) or have them use laughing gas on top of the novicaine + needle prickly stopping sludge. Good luck with everything, and soon you'll be lookin like this guy here. => [Big Grin]

FatGnome: Hmm, I used to bite down if my dentist did something seriously painful, but he rarely did, and I didn't leave tooth marks or anything. It was more of a gentle reminder that he needs to mind my nerve endings. I suppose that's some sort of automatic reflex that goes back to the day when we used to eat raw tiger flesh and clubb'em things. [Mad] *beats chest with fists*

--------------------
Mistakes are inevitable, but to fear failure is the real mistake. ~Me

Posts: 79 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted July 13, 2003 02:24      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh yeah, and i forgot to say i'm afraid of needles aswell. and we're not talking 'oh, i don't like them much', we're talking scream, run away then faint in the corridor at the woman who's got my bcg jab. petrified, totally manic. so when i go to the dentist i can't have needles, i guess that might be part of the reason i hate going... [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] teehee, i've never used that one before, how distinctly groovy...

[Big Grin]

love from your friend in the biscuit tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2003 06:49      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i had my two upper bicuspids pulled.
I went to see a dental surgeon instead of my dentist, since he wouldn't do it.
Well...
I sat down, they took some mild anastetic (looked like the anbesol that I use when i get toothaches from braces), swabbed it on my gums, then shot them up with a local anestetic, then he put somem gause arround, and then I fell for the old "I'm just going to wiggle them and see how loose they are" thing, and he just pulled them right out and I didn't notice [Smile]
It bled for like half an hour, they gave me the teeth in a baggie, when I got home it was a bit sore, so I took a "walburofen" (ibuprofen generic from walgreens) (200mg) and watched tv all day (mouth was all numb), the next day i was fine

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2003 16:19      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/me thanks God once again that my wisdom teeth are intact and will not have to be removed
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2003 18:02      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Petrified, eh? /me remembers an old thread in this Forum [Wink] . See, snupes, some of us also value the older, good stuff [Smile] .

Was that a certain member explaining that "she" liked to be motionless during, umm, "intimate activities"?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture