homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » SCHOOL!! GRRRR!!! (in a really grr kind of way) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: SCHOOL!! GRRRR!!! (in a really grr kind of way)
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 11:34      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
and a couple of teachers from Hell.

Which reminds me... anyone know specifically about a teacher-student confidentiality agreement, and what it says specifically? I have something I may want to accomplish before 10th grade next year...
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 13:40      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just what are you trying to say? [Confused] Is it a good thing you want to accomplish [Wink] or something else? [evil]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shapeshifter
Geek
Member # 2105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 14:11      Profile for Shapeshifter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the feeling... we're getting it pretty badly here as well (10th grader). Explanation, fot the British and everyone else:

The Virginia public school year starts in mid-September and ends in mid-June. Well, since forever we've had the midterms in Janurary and final exams in June (next week, actually). Each of these exams are worth about 1/7th of your semester grade, so while it's not the most important thing, doing well on the exams is generally a good thing.
Well, the state had to get involved. For the last several years (since I was in elementary school) we have been forced to take a standardized test: the dreaded SOL. We have SOLs in math, science, history, 11th grade English, and that's about it. The SOLs are a bare minimum test, but they're administered in May and thus force teachers to cram 10 months of learning into 9 months of classes. Of course, the teachers are all worried sick about the SOLs, as their jobs are soemtimes dependent on their students' scores. Anyway, generally anyone passing the class (and usually more) can pass the SOLs... one question on last year's Biology SOL was
"Which of these can not be measured?
A) The distance between two trees.
B) A gram of salt.
C) The amount of liquid in a bottle.
D) The amount of love a monkey feels when he sees a bannana."

Anyway, our city school system, led by an incompetent psychopath with a Napoleon complex (I apologize to the virtically challenged, but this man has it badly) has decided to take the annoyance of the SOLs and raise them to new levels of stupidity. To give you an idea of how our schools are "Ahead of the curve," as our motto says, the school board mandated that we need to have a bare minimum of 183 days of school, because we want to be three days more educated than the rest of the state. Well, this year we were given "SOL Pretests" in the beginning of the school year, which managed to waste an entire class. The last week or two we've had to take the posttest, to measure what we've learned. These were generally very easy. And because nobody outside of the system sees the results, and they don't count for a grade, nobody takes these seriously. The writing prompt for the English test this year was something to the effect of "Write you parents a letter to convince them that you can get a job. Your parents won't let you have a job because they believe it will make your grades go down." Some things that were written included:

"Mom, dad, I have to get a job so I can pay for the baby."

"Grades are not really important. All we do in school these days is take rediculous and unimportant tests that don't count and don't prove anything."

"Regardless, I'm going to write this letter, then go outside, leave it in the mailbox for a little bit, maybe have some tea or something, then go outside an retrieve the letter as if I wasn't the one who put it there in the first place."

So yeah... pointless tests and exams. Then you add the AP tests in early May (Advanced Placement classes are basically college classes taken in high school. Every May you take a test, and based on the results of that test colleges may choose to award you college credit for having taken the class) and the PSATS and SATS, and it gets rather tedious.

Touchstone: Originally posted by ilovemydualg4: "we have a sr. high that is sinking in a swamp"
Is this the first one or the second one?

The first one sunk into the swamp. The second one sunk into the swamp. The third one burned down, fell over, then sunk into the swamp. I believe our friend is referring to the fourth senior high in that swamp. </Monty Python>

Spoongirl:

I already to yoga and meditate and all that jazz, so anything new would be appreciated.

Violent video games. While I don't suggest you imagine you're killing particular teachers or anything like that (which I doubt is good for your mental health), it allows you to gets a lot of your violent urges out, and they tend to take some stress with them. Sure, Mario and Tetris are fun, but shooting things evokes more catharsis, IMHO.

--------------------
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying.
-Woody Allen

Posts: 152 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shapeshifter
Geek
Member # 2105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 14:14      Profile for Shapeshifter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the feeling... we're getting it pretty badly here as well (10th grader). Explanation, for the British and everyone else:

The Virginia public school year starts in mid-September and ends in mid-June. Well, since forever we've had the midterms in Janurary and final exams in June (next week, actually). Each of these exams are worth about 1/7th of your semester grade, so while it's not the most important thing, doing well on the exams is generally a good thing.
Well, the state had to get involved. For the last several years (since I was in elementary school) we have been forced to take a standardized test: the dreaded SOL. We have SOLs in math, science, history, 11th grade English, and that's about it. The SOLs are a bare minimum test, but they're administered in May and thus force teachers to cram 10 months of learning into 9 months of classes. Of course, the teachers are all worried sick about the SOLs, as their jobs are sometimes dependent on their students' scores. Anyway, generally anyone passing the class (and usually more) can pass the SOLs... one question on last year's Biology SOL was
"Which of these can not be measured?
A) The distance between two trees.
B) A gram of salt.
C) The amount of liquid in a bottle.
D) The amount of love a monkey feels when he sees a bannana."

Anyway, our city school system, led by an incompetent psychopath with a Napoleon complex (I apologize to the virtically challenged, but this man has it badly) has decided to take the annoyance of the SOLs and raise them to new levels of stupidity. To give you an idea of how our schools are "Ahead of the curve," as our motto says, the school board mandated that we need to have a bare minimum of 183 days of school, because we want to be three days more educated than the rest of the state. Well, this year we were given "SOL Pretests" in the beginning of the school year, which managed to waste an entire class. The last week or two we've had to take the posttest, to measure what we've learned. These were generally very easy. And because nobody outside of the system sees the results, and they don't count for a grade, nobody takes these seriously. The writing prompt for the English test this year was something to the effect of "Write you parents a letter to convince them that you can get a job. Your parents won't let you have a job because they believe it will make your grades go down." Some things that were written included:

"Mom, dad, I have to get a job so I can pay for the baby."

"Grades are not really important. All we do in school these days is take rediculous and unimportant tests that don't count and don't prove anything."

"Regardless, I'm going to write this letter, then go outside, leave it in the mailbox for a little bit, maybe have some tea or something, then go outside an retrieve the letter as if I wasn't the one who put it there in the first place."

So yeah... pointless tests and exams. Then you add the AP tests in early May (Advanced Placement classes are basically college classes taken in high school. Every May you take a test, and based on the results of that test colleges may choose to award you college credit for having taken the class) and the PSATS and SATS, and it gets rather tedious.

Touchstone:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4: "we have a sr. high that is sinking in a swamp"
Is this the first one or the second one?

The first one sunk into the swamp. The second one sunk into the swamp. The third one burned down, fell over, then sunk into the swamp. I believe our friend is referring to the fourth senior high in that swamp. </Monty Python>

Spoongirl:

I already to yoga and meditate and all that jazz, so anything new would be appreciated.

Violent video games. While I don't suggest you imagine you're killing particular teachers or anything like that (which I doubt is good for your mental health), it allows you to gets a lot of your violent urges out, and they tend to take some stress with them. Sure, Mario and Tetris are fun, but shooting things evokes more catharsis, IMHO.

--------------------
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying.
-Woody Allen

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 14:27      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Just what are you trying to say? [Confused] Is it a good thing you want to accomplish [Wink] or something else? [evil]

Just to show that she's superior, my biology teacher took an assignment which she knew i had done in a jam, and gave it to my english teacher to revise and comment on

I am increadibly offended by this, and if it's within legal rights, I would like to get her fired.
That, and all of the crp i and everyone else has put up with for the past year...

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 15:11      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quoting cheezi:
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
Don't tell me you did O-Levels [Razz]

quoting Spoongirl:
i do actually mean mock Gcse's. You see, in my school, we have mock's in the first year of GCSE's, then we get 'em again in the second year, and then we all come back after study leave and do the Real Thing. Is this not normal?
Yep, that is the norm... so, does that mean you're in the first year of GCSE's? Because the actual exams have all started by now... my brother sat his English paper this morning, and as far as I'm aware, so did the rest of the country... unless you're with a different exam board? Are you doing AQA papers?

quoting littlefish:
Of course, Sky has oversimplified the exam system in this fine country, leaving out S-levels, scottish highers and so on.
It wasn't my intention to oversimplify... Grey _girl asked about GCSE's and A-Levels and that's what I explained... Plus I thought the post could go on for quite a while if I attempted to explain our exam system in anything like detail... this way it's easier for the Americans to understand [Wink]

quoting Callipygous:
Sky the very best luck to you... go out and sock it to 'em. You are a great girl and deserve the very best in life.
Thanks ever so much, I really appreciate that [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 15:27      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
Just to show that she's superior, my biology teacher took an assignment which she knew i had done in a jam, and gave it to my english teacher to revise and comment on

I am increadibly offended by this, and if it's within legal rights, I would like to get her fired.
That, and all of the crp i and everyone else has put up with for the past year...

I doubt you could get her fired, but I'm no legal expert, I just pretend that I play one on TV. It's certainly very unprofessional of her. Did you talk to the principal?
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 15:36      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:

I doubt you could get her fired, but I'm no legal expert, I just pretend that I play one on TV. It's certainly very unprofessional of her. Did you talk to the principal?
No, not yet, but I'm thinking of whether I should really get this involved - she was emmm... slightly provoked, and if it really went push comes to shove, i could get in trouble for a statement I made.

However, I have PLENTY more evidence - Projects that had poitns deducted for no reason, favoritism, group projects that she wants 3 copies of, each copy gets a different grade, and more.
It's really, really,really insane. I just snapped today...
(Chilling at home with the lawyers... errr beatles... helped [Wink] )

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 05, 2003 15:52      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoongirl wrote:

Is this too much? I really think I'm starting to crack (even more)... Hints? Tips? Anything to help me stay CALM!!???

Drink heavily, works for me.

[evil]

CommanderShroom

How I miss the good old days. But I'm so glad they're gone.
Ben Harper

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 23:12      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quoting cheezi:

'fraid so. way back in the mists of time, when course work was just a mirage in the educational desert.

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 01:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quoting cheezi:

On slate, no less.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 03:09      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
quoting cheezi:

On slate, no less.
actually we scratched our essays in the dirt with a goose feather

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 03:27      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
...scratched our essays in the dirt with a goose feather

You were lucky, there were 14 of us getting lessons in a shoebox in middle of motorway...
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 03:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You were lucky - we never 'ad no fancy school - we were down t'pit at four month, digging granite wit' bare hand.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 05:09      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
granite? by'eck i used to dream of granite. we 'ad to produce our own fossil fuel from't bedpans in't local leper colony

--------------------

perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 05:35      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bedpans--at least that would have been more honest than handling all that crap by hand with notebooks and backpacks like they had us do.

[edit]Sorry, I meant, "Uphill, both ways, in a snowstorm with a mouthfull of porcupine quills."

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2003 02:00      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, not yet, but I'm thinking of whether I should really get this involved - she was emmm... slightly provoked, and if it really went push comes to shove, i could get in trouble for a statement I made.

However, I have PLENTY more evidence - Projects that had poitns deducted for no reason, favoritism, group projects that she wants 3 copies of, each copy gets a different grade, and more.

mr4, I would recommend letting sleeping dogma lay, at least in this case. Even when you have a clear advantage in the event, school boards don't like to give in. If there is anything that she can get you in (serious) trouble for, don't give her an excuse. Besides, the fact that she didn't get you in trouble suggests that she might not dislike you as much as you might think. . .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2003 06:09      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Slurpy:
quote:

mr4, I would recommend letting sleeping dogma lay, at least in this case. Even when you have a clear advantage in the event, school boards don't like to give in. If there is anything that she can get you in (serious) trouble for, don't give her an excuse. Besides, the fact that she didn't get you in trouble suggests that she might not dislike you as much as you might think. . .
The biggest thing she can do to me is give me a classroom detention, which I will probably have to take, but will be able to argue to get it off of my record.

My Dad's on the Board of Ed [Smile]

Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2003 14:19      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about getting the detention off your record. No one but your HS administrators see that, anyway.

The only disciplinary actions colleges can find out about are suspensions and expulsions.

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2003 17:06      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a kid at our school got suspended for playing with the propane line(it wasnt mr4 [Wink] ) and the principal said colleges wont see it.

mr4 you have a freaking A+ average in her class theres like 2 weeks left i think you should just wait it out although getting her fired would be kinda funny..

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2003 17:37      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
a kid at our school got suspended for playing with the propane line(it wasnt mr4 [Wink] ) and the principal said colleges wont see it.

mr4 you have a freaking A+ average in her class theres like 2 weeks left i think you should just wait it out although getting her fired would be kinda funny..

Just to annoy her, I've calculated my grade out, and it's out of like 1200 points, and i have something like a 101, so just to annoy her i'm thinking of barely doing work (just scribblign down fake answers so that it's taken simply as i'm dumb), then when we get to the test i'll do my usual 125%, then 100 on the final

Hehe

I DID get a detention once though, in 7th grade, for not doing part of my homework, i had to serve it, but it was taken off of the record and she didn't return after [Smile]

Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2003 19:53      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

He only got suspended? I don't know if you guys have had chemistry yet, but here's a little equation for ya:

C3H8 (that's propane) + Dumbass = KABOOM!

Kaboom is bad. I've learned that the hard way [Roll Eyes] .

Matt Mayers
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2003 20:24            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

He only got suspended? I don't know if you guys have had chemistry yet, but here's a little equation for ya:

Kaboom is bad. I've learned that the hard way [Roll Eyes] .

i managed to injure my lab partner once with potassium and water... luckily we didn't like each other very much anyway and no meaningful friendships were damaged.

man, i hated my chemistry class

IP: Logged
Shapeshifter
Geek
Member # 2105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 05:42      Profile for Shapeshifter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I've got to tell that one to my chemistry teacher and ask if that's why he never lets us play with fire.

--------------------
-Woody Allen

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 05:57      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We play with fire all the time

In fact, we got a demonstaration of why you never leave the gas on then light up!
[Big Grin]

I love chemistry

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture