homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » The Matrix and Hitchcock (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Matrix and Hitchcock
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 06:45      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something's been bugging me for a long time... the film The Matrix - the geezers with the shades on all the time ( you know, Hugo Weaving + pals) ... that look - the whole menacing eye-less thing. It's from Psycho. When Janet Leigh is stopped by the highway cop (one of my all-time fave Hitchcock scenes) - you never see his eyes. Of course, in Psycho, his eyelessness is symbolic of the faceless anxiety which pursues her, blah, blah... The Matrix wholly rips this from Hitchcock - utterly stolen! Ennit?

There is an undeniable similarity, isn't there... or am I nuts?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 07:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now you've gone and mentioned that movie again! [Mad] But seriously, it's been awile since I've seen that, so I don't remember that part. I don't like Psycho as much as some other Hitchcock movies, Strangers On A Train in particular. Really, I think that the Matrix is a ripoff of a lot of things: Gnostic philosophy, Zen Budhism, Kung Fu (the TV show) and William Gibson. All of which are more interesting than that film. I liked it OK, but Geez, some people think it's the new Citizen Kane. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 07:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I don't follow - Hugo Weaving *does* take his glasses off - when he fights Neo at the subway station. After Neo takes a piece out of the Agent's glasses, he takes them, and throws them away. Yes, I've seen the Matrix *many* times, and some of my friends and I managed to get someone to say, (while watching it at her house one time) "Okay, let's just watch the movie, not listen to you guys narrate it." [Wink]

Edit/Append: Of course, in general, it is true that you don't see their eyes, but I was pointing to the fact that you do see them at least once. Now off to do 3 assignments in under 5 hours [Frown] .

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 07:13      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes - he *does* take his glasses off - that's not the point - the point is that the whole look with the glasses on (as he usually is) is ripped off.

GMx - Psycho is okay - I really only like the first half hour (which is utterly superb!) To be honest, once she gets to Bates Motel I've lost interest.

North by North-West is probably his best.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 14 posted April 08, 2003 12:31      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.05/matrix2_pr.html...

The 10 Movies That Rocked My World
by John Gaeta
5. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
The vertigo effect is completely original. If Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, or Orson Welles were alive, they would transcend today's virtual cinema in ways we could never imagine.

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 13:50      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Really, I think that the Matrix is a ripoff of a lot of things:

mainly Ghost in the Shell. about half the fighting scenes, special effects and a good deal of the plot were taken by the Matrix and Fifth Element

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 13:51      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GMx i take it you also are gonna hate the month of May intensely since you hate the matrix

Matrix 2 and Enter the Matrix are released [Razz]

--------------------
its been a while

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 14:13      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
GMx i take it you also are gonna hate the month of May intensely since you hate the matrix

Matrix 2 and Enter the Matrix are released [Razz]

No, I didn't say I hated The Matrix, I rather enjoyed it, but as a movie I wouldn't rank it as anything special, just another action/sci-fi flick.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mindzeye5
Geek Apprentice
Member # 978

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted April 08, 2003 14:35      Profile for Mindzeye5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also interesting to notice, many of the "good guys" (morpheus, trinity, neo) wear sunglasses a good part of the movie, especially morpheus when he's in the matrix. something else i noticed, the good guys' sunglasses all have mostly circular frames while the agents' sunglasses have more rectangular frames.

--------------------
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub...

http://24.4.195.179/ hardcore geeks don't need domain names

Posts: 46 | From: Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 19:19      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i guess they had geforcefx's in their machine whilst the agents only had ati furys [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Mr. Zarquon
Alpha Geek
Member # 485

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 21:39      Profile for Mr. Zarquon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you want to really talk about what "the matrix" steals / borrows from, you should pick up "the matrix and philosophy"

A great read, and I am in the middle of it right now.

--------------------
Mr. Zarquon
Welcome, Tasty Primate

Posts: 332 | From: Lewisburg, PA (middle of nowhere) | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
neo
Geek
Member # 539

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 09, 2003 01:52      Profile for neo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here i come to save the day!
the matrix sunglasses tingi has refrence to reflection. that's why. and since you're talking about the matrix having refrences to other movies, many movies have also taken things from the matrix. and the matrix is not just another sci-fi flick. anyway, you're gonna hear from m3 in nov so catch up and good luck. [Razz]

Posts: 187 | From: freedom land | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Chump
Geek
Member # 593

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 05:34      Profile for The Chump   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mindzeye5:
something else i noticed, the good guys' sunglasses all have mostly circular frames while the agents' sunglasses have more rectangular frames.

Just thought I'd chime in and say that I think this particular item is a reference to the machine vs. man thing. Ractangles suggest math and computers, while roundness is more human. just my $0.020

--------------------
Vedi Vidi Velcro "I came, I saw, I stuck around"
quality in posting since dec 2000

Posts: 184 | From: In my chair, in front of my laptop, at my desk, in my kitchen, in my aprtment, o | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 16:27      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if they took the glasses off and had crazy Marty Feldman eyes?

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 16:30      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo:
here i come to save the day!
the matrix sunglasses tingi has refrence to reflection. that's why. and since you're talking about the matrix having refrences to other movies, many movies have also taken things from the matrix. and the matrix is not just another sci-fi flick. anyway, you're gonna hear from m3 in nov so catch up and good luck. [Razz]

well technically those movies stole from the movies the matrix stole from [Wink]

and yet again another unreadable post that makes us want to destroy the matrix

--------------------
its been a while

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 16:34      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Psycho was the earliest example of spooky bad guys in dark glasses. I seem to remember some rather camp policemen on motorcycles in Jean Cocteau's "Orpheť" which was made in 1949, and I think they wore dark glasses which they never removed, but my memory is a bit hazy. Anyone think of anything earlier?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
neo
Geek
Member # 539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 21:04      Profile for neo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey! the matrix rules!!!
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 21:33      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neo, you have such a way with words... [Roll Eyes] .....you should consider writing a book.

"Trolling for/by Dummies" or "Spellun for the complete Idiot".....or maybe, "The fragmented sentence cook book".

Maybe if you actually form some coherent thougts BEFORE you type them you may *ahem* garner the respect you so desire.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
neo
Geek
Member # 539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2003 18:50      Profile for neo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, i am a writer... [Cool]
just that, i'm passing off my time here and you guys are really doing a great job by keeping me off...

--------------------
~What lies do you believe?~

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2003 19:00      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo:
just that, i'm passing off my time here and you guys are really doing a great job by keeping me off...

i bet your books are widely read [Razz]

--------------------
its been a while

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2003 19:01      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Maybe if you actually form some coherent thougts BEFORE you type them you may *ahem* garner the respect you so desire.

why do you have to have coherent thoughts when you post?

i often go back and use the handy edit key that the bad grammar afficionados here long to understand how to use

--------------------
its been a while

neo
Geek
Member # 539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2003 19:14      Profile for neo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't write books. like i said, i was just passing my time so i type quickly and clumsily because of my experience here.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2003 19:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
neo wrote:

Well... I'm game. What have you written?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
neo
Geek
Member # 539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2003 19:37      Profile for neo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
stuff and don't ask me, thank you. i'm not game. i am under a secret identity, working for a top-secret company if you like.

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2003 08:42      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. And nayt was doing psychology experiments. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture