homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Are there any honest persons left on Ebay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are there any honest persons left on Ebay?
Germanguy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1559

Icon 8 posted November 02, 2002 19:05      Profile for Germanguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all started one year ago I bought a LCD projector to replace my old one.
The seller had a good feedback rating from like 53 people.
I ask the person that he ships to Canada and we got a deal without Ebay cause the auction had ended and he sad he had a second one for sell.
I send the money and never got the projector.
I saved my penny's together and a week ago bought a projector from Ebay to replace my now really old projector.
The person had more than 300 feedback ratings and everything looked good other that I should pay with Western Union.
So I payed part of it and after I got a UPS tracking number the rest of the money.
Today I got an Email that the Ebay account was cracked and used to scam me out of my money.
I have about 20 transactions on Ebay or related to Ebay and 2 of them are scams.
Ebay say's scam is less than one thousand of a percent when I look at my records it's more like 10 percent of the transactions [Mad]
I almost forgot 2 month ago I won a powerbook on Ebay from taiwan and pay by Western Union wonder how that would have ended when I would have went for it?

Bottom line Ebay scam's are a lot more common than you think.

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2002 20:21      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought a few things on ebay with no problems. I think the salient feature of each auction is that the sellers were people with lots of stuff to sell. When you looked at their items, it really appeared as if they were dealers in the merchandise, just using ebay as a poor-man's web store.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2002 22:09      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought some Peanuts stuff from there and have had no problems.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Germanguy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1559

Icon 8 posted November 02, 2002 22:47      Profile for Germanguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think my way around Ebay after 3 years.
But when you see lots of feedback a email address from a normal ISP not Yahoomail or Hotmail it is save think again.
Maybe its cause I buy bigger ticket items from there like computer equipment.
3 years ago things whore different there whore mostly privet seller today its mostly scam artists like "get a powerbook for free".
That Ebay even let them list that stuff [Mad]
Then again I got ripped of worse actually happens every year to me its called Tax
[Smile]

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2002 10:33      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had no probem with the one thing I bought on eBay. I can imagine how easy it would be to scam someone out of their money, especially since eBay has no insurance policy on stuff like that.

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 04, 2002 16:08      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, your first transaction wasn't through e-bay. You did a deal on the side with the seller and left e-bay out of it. You found out the hard way that you don't get to slam their reputation, so the seller is safe in cheating you.

If a seller tells me "I've got another gizmo", I tell them: "great, you list it, then I will bid on it". Something similar happened to me: I had the high bid but didn't meet the reserve. The seller wanted to do a deal, but I just said that if they listed it again, I would bid again.

I never send money unless I know I will have the right to post feedback.

On the second deal, you did get cheated. It's a danger sign that the seller wants a western union transfer.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
madhermit
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1801

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2002 21:33      Profile for madhermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alien Investor is right. Make sure you are clear on how transactions are supposed to proceed on ebay and see what their policies cover in case you get ripped off. Any on the side transactions should make one wary. If you dont want to get burnt as bad, keep away from the private marketplace sellers and go buy from major distributors. Sometimes you can find deals with them too. I dont use ebay as much myself, prefer Evil Amazon and havent had a bad purchase yet. I bought a cell on Ebay a little while ago and made sure it was through a store rather from a lone guy. I suppose one can be burnt by anyone out there, just try to minimize it as much as you can.

--------------------
*I refuse to appear witty or clever by referring to some quote*

Posts: 15 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture