homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Caller ID is the DEVIL!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Caller ID is the DEVIL!
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2002 18:33      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, so caller ID is annoying. First of all, it takes all the fun of picking up the phone. Without caller ID, you never know who it could be! But with caller ID, where's the fun? Picking up the phone and scaring people when you say "Hello Frank..."

Anyways though, it gets REALLY annoying when you cal someone, because sometimes they say "Hello Frank..." you're thinking "Ah! it's like Scream II" But then there's the experience I had tonight... here goes.

I called a friend, and she picked up, saying "Hi!" (you gotta work with me here... she's really bubbly and it didn't sound like the normal "Hello?") So I said "Hi" (not saying, "Hi, this is John" (that's me)) because I thought she had caller ID and knew it was me calling or something... but she didn't! It was so embarassing.

So yeah, caller ID is the devil. Well, not the DEVIL devil, but it's evil. Like Microsoft. same difference. I'm out.

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2002 19:24      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually i like caller id.. that way i can call back all the lil kids that bother me [Mad]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
QuiGonValjean
Geek
Member # 1485

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2002 03:38      Profile for QuiGonValjean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just have our caller ID blocked. Makes it a whole lot easier! ;-)

--------------------
"I hope that by having this open dialogue we can learn to live in harmony. Or failing in that, I'll live in harmony by myself." - Dogbert

Posts: 143 | From: the land of everlasting Dr. Pepper, Snickers, and Turkey Hill Iced Tea | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 01, 2002 08:50      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm a total scum bucket. We block caller ID on our line (actually, we have to because my wife is a doctor and for a variety of reasons you should never let patients get your home phone #), we have caller id on or near every phone and we don't have an answering machine.

When we get calls from "Out of area" during dinner, we don't answer them - usually telemarketers. We are never left with messages we don't want to answer, yet we check the caller id to see who called that we should call back.

Caller ID rocks!

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
invisikitty
Mini Geek
Member # 1764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2002 09:41      Profile for invisikitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my called ID. Nothing beats the ability to screen calls. I get tons of unsolicited calls at dinner, and those damn debt collectors like to call at 8 in the morning. I wish that GA no-call list actually worked...

--------------------
"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively,
there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we
are the imagination of ourselves.....Here's Tom with the weather. "

Bill Hicks

Posts: 98 | From: ...under the couch.... | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2002 10:21      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
This does get out of hand, doesn't it? What with a charge for caller ID block.

I spend a little extra for a block on caller ID block, (the caller ID block is used a lot by phone solicitors), so if you have block on you get a message from the phone company telling you to go to Redmond ... I mean go to hell, I mean go away.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2002 13:51      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a company asks me for a daytime phone number, or an evening phone number, or ANY phone number, I give them my cell phone number.

In my country it's illegal for a telemarketer who has no existing business relationship with me to call that number. And they know it. So I get very few spam calls on that line, about 2-3 per year.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2002 10:40      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cell phone thing is a good idea.

However, you don't need caller ID just to catch little kids prank calling you (use *69) or to see who's calling you during dinner (just don't answer the phone, duh)

--------------------

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2002 11:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I love caller ID. My cell phone is my primary phone, and of course, it has caller ID built in - and linked to my address book. So it's really handy to see a call coming in from people I very much want to speak to, and being able to know who it is. However, I really hate the side effect of PBXs, like we have at work - the call comes through as 'Unavailable,' since it's not from a fixed number, but from an outside line pool. But if my boss calls me, he usually uses his cell (which is identified), and is often considerate, such that he'll understand if I don't pick up, and just use it to page me, so I don't use up my minutes (I don't have a corporate cell phone).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2002 14:01      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... have caller ID on my cell, too. Whenever someone calls me, I either say "Hello?" or "Hi [name]."

Maybe the title of this thread should be Caller ID Ettiquite.

--------------------

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 05:14      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alien Investor:
... I give them my cell phone number. In my country it's illegal for a telemarketer who has no existing business relationship with me to call that number. And they know it.

Really??? I never heard of that. You are in the US, aren't you? Can you point me to the telecom codes which say that? I can sort of see a rationale why cell phones are different, because we adopted callee pays for cell phones in the US, while Europe did caller pays.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 05:23      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
...we adopted callee pays for cell phones in the US, while Europe did caller pays.

Hm... I've always thought 'callee pays' was an entirely daft scheme. Surely the person who initiates the call should bear the cost... that just makes perfect sense to me. Otherwise, as pointed out, you end up with the double-whammy of having to pay for calls you didn't want in the first place. Bummer!

Edit: mind you, it's probably vastly more profitable for the telephone companies doing it your way.

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture