homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Casting the next Superman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Casting the next Superman
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 8 posted October 10, 2002 12:45      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read on the web that Hollywood is casting the next Superman.

That upsets me a lot.

What's wrong with Christopher Reeve? Sure he broke his neck, but does that prevent him from being a SuperHero?

What's next? Are we geeks going to throw Stephen Hawking on the trash heap because he's in a wheel chair, too?

Both these guys are SUPER-DUPER heros in my book.

I think if those Hollywood writers were any good they'd find a way to make a wheel chair fly.

Plus, it would teach people to see past a person's disabilities and see their ABILITIES when Clark Kent changes from being a quad-in-a-wheelchair writer-for the paper to a quad-in-a-wheelchair SUPERHERO simply because he took off his glasses and put on tights and a cape.

I think it's time for equal access to get out of the gutter (those sidewalk ramps are nice , though) and get up in the air and fly.

"Look! Up in the air!"

"It's a bird in a wheelchair!"

"No, it's a plane in a wheelchair!"

"No, it's Superman in a wheelchair!"

Is it only at the Speical Olympics that these folks can be considered faster than a speeding bullet and more powerful than a locomotive?

..."Who disguised as mild-mannered Clark Kent in a wheelchair, is ready to fight for truth, justice and the Americans with Disabilities
Act!"

Our luck, they'd make Mr. Reeve a bad guy like on Dr. Who, because outside of Ironsides guys with disabilities always seem to get cast as bad guys.

That is All

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2002 14:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mr. Reeves is a bit old for the part.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2002 14:38      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
Too old?!?!?

But, but ...

He's YOUNGER than me. And I'm not ...

Oh.

Ouch.

Heart... shot...

Missy! Missy! Time to start a learnin' the phrase "By crackee."

Don't mind me. I'm on the way to the ice berg.

Don't mind me at all, by crackee.

Ol' Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2002 14:52      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they could make a Doctor Who movie with Christopher Reeve as Davros. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csm

SuperFan!
Member # 1281

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2002 04:39      Profile for csm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I don't think the concept of Superman is quite ready for the superhero to be in a wheel chair... In fact, I do believe the concept of Superman flat-out rejects any incapacitation for Superman. Y'know... that whole "Going out in a blaze of glory", "The flame that burns twice as bright..." thing.

Sure, Mr. Reeves is a hero, and has taken the cause of paralysis and spinal damage further than anyone else, but the Superman legend just won't have him for another movie.

(Speaking of which, wasn't Nicholas Cage slated to do a Superman movie?)

--------------------
Objects in signature are funnier than they appear.

Posts: 34 | From: A well connected outhouse in Michigan | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2002 05:48      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rumor I heard was that they're looking at casting Keanu Reeves. After I heard that, someone pointed out that he's perfect for the role...
George Reeves
Christopher Reeves
Keanu Reeves

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 10 posted October 11, 2002 13:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought Chris Farley would make a good Superman (maybe a better Supperman)

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 03, 2002 22:36      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
I always thought Chris Farley would make a good Superman (maybe a better Supperman)

LOL

Anyway....If Chris ever able walk again. I would like for him to play as Superman in Kingdom Come: the movie. [Wink]

--------------------
[color=blue]My brain is loading, please wait...[/color]

Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture