homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » THE BAD DESIGN HALL OF SHAME (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: THE BAD DESIGN HALL OF SHAME
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted August 03, 2002 01:16      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is for all those times you have said to your self. "Self. I wish I knew the engineer who designed this. SO I COULD HUNT THE MORON DOWN AND KILL THEM !"
I would like to start with whomever designed The CD jewel box. They are fragile, difficult to open, not biodegradable and take up too much space. A Tyvek envelope is much better. Hell PAPER is better.

Posts: 103 | From: Annapolis Wa. USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2002 02:04      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent topic, TORDONOFFON.

I would like to nominate the Apple Pro Speaker minijack. No matter how many times I screw the thing, my Mac keeps showing me sticky alerts saying it can't recognize my speakers.

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2002 09:00      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate the RS-232 interface, with dozens of pins and lots of creative ways to connect them.

I have never, not once, had a connection problem with a Centronics parallel port, which dates back to the same era. And I've rarely had a connection problem with an Ethernet port, which is almost as old.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2002 09:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ice maker here at work. Whoever decided to put the power/reset switch INSIDE the machine, so you have to unscrew the lid and risk an 400 Amp jolt to get the thing working again needs to be whipped with 30 feet of vacuum tubing.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Germanguy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1559

Icon 8 posted August 03, 2002 10:36      Profile for Germanguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2 liter plastic pop bottles with the small base so they can tip over and crush the other food on the belt in the store every time or when you open them they give way and the stuff is all over the floor.

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2002 19:43      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alien Investor:
I nominate the RS-232 interface, with dozens of pins and lots of creative ways to connect them.

I have never, not once, had a connection problem with a Centronics parallel port, which dates back to the same era. And I've rarely had a connection problem with an Ethernet port, which is almost as old.

Keep trying, AI, you'll get some problems with them, yet!

Just remember, if it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2002 02:40      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Books. Well, not books, but books. It drives me nuts that they are not a standard hieght, and shelves made for holding books the "right way (so that the text on the spine is sideways instead of right side up). I wish ISO or at least the ASA got together and enforced standards for (atleast, computer) books. There has to be a better mass storage device for printed information...
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 04, 2002 10:54      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate the inventors of the TORX Screw, the damn thing has a very good tendancy to strip easily under normal use.

Danapoppa... as an AppleCare technician I suggest you you replace the speakers or your logic board. I only pray you are under warranty if it is your logic board.

AppleService to the rescue

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2002 12:31      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every product ever made by Ikea.
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted August 04, 2002 16:17            Edit/Delete Post 
GameMaster: Books. Well, not books, but books.
And at the same time, invent a text book that will sit open at a page on my desk while I'm trying to read from it...

IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2002 01:23      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
every product made in china that never made it out of china.
Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
trillianastra
Mini Geek
Member # 1526

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2002 06:40      Profile for trillianastra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to say that Microsloth products in general were poorly designed, but first I would have to encounter some evidence that they were designed at all. Personally, I suspect that their OSes are proof that an infinite number of monkies placed in front of keyboards will not only produce the script for Hamlet, but also an operating system with a click and drool interface and more holes in it than a tea strainer. That might also explain Stephen R. O. Donaldson novels..

------------------
All your sig are belong to us.

Posts: 80 | From: Bad Place TM | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2002 10:41      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many things that are poorly designed, aren't there?
But something that comes to mind at the moment are some of the buildings at my university's campus - I mean it's bad enough that they are as ugly as can be on the outside, but they are also built like mazes on the inside.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2002 17:39            Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of maze-like buildings, I submit my university's Wright Building. The room numbers go up in steps (e.g. 3), and aren't always in sequence - I remember being lost as the room I was looking for doesn't seem to exist on the floor at all. Eventually, I found a passer-by to ask, and it turns out that the room was at the end of the corridor around a corner (180 degree turn), not where it was supposed to be. That building is a menace.

- uilleann

IP: Logged
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 10, 2002 01:54      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BOOKS YES ! I would have got to this one eventually. Why are there NO standards ? Are all publishers MORONS or do they have some plan ? Sometimes they can't even keep books of a series by the same author the same size. I bet they change the Harry Potters books size halfway through.

quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Books. Well, not books, but books. It drives me nuts that they are not a standard hieght, and shelves made for holding books the "right way (so that the text on the spine is sideways instead of right side up). I wish ISO or at least the ASA got together and enforced standards for (atleast, computer) books. There has to be a better mass storage device for printed information...

Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2002 09:53      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idiots of automotive design who keep moving essential controls around and have unintended motions do counter-intuitive things; my particular ire is for Subaru, who put the dash-light brightness control around the turn-signal stalk so it can get twisted when you do just about anything, and it's not illuminated by default so when it's dark and the dash lights are too dim to see, you can't see the control either.

And the morons at Microsoft who wrote the text-entry window code such that you can click near the right margin of the window and your position will fly to somewhere else in the 8 pages of text you've got there, for no apparent reason.  Heck, all the morons at Microsoft.

People who design automatically-opening doors at stores which don't recognize that you're there until too late and then open too slow, forcing you to break your stride.  Ditto the nitwits who didn't design doors to function as airlocks in the winter; you'd think that they'd never gotten a clue from revolving doors.

annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 10, 2002 22:54      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:

People who design automatically-opening doors at stores which don't recognize that you're there until too late and then open too slow, forcing you to break your stride. Ditto the nitwits who didn't design doors to function as airlocks in the winter; you'd think that they'd never gotten a clue from revolving doors.

Since I'm in a mood for picking on you Tau, I'll pick on you.
But come on, the doors that force you to break your stride! Oh no, I've broken my stride, I can never get it back again!!!
But then again, I must admit that I kind of expected that, after all this topic is right up your alley. Although I expected the list to be much longer. After all, you're the only person I've ever met who would complain about cars in a trafic jam leaving too much space between them and the car in front on a road you're not even driving on.
Loosen up Tau.

---------------------
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans..." (or complaining)

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 11, 2002 02:28      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FURTHERMORE YOU AUTOMOTIVE DESIGN IDIOTS. THE CONTROLS FOR THE SUNROOF GO ON THE CEILING NEAR THE REARVIEW. NOT THE DASH.

------------------
He had SUCH potential !

Lady_Luvalot
Mini Geek
Member # 1580

Icon 6 posted August 11, 2002 04:26      Profile for Lady_Luvalot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
People who design automatically-opening doors at stores which don't recognize that you're there until too late and then open too slow, forcing you to break your stride. Ditto the nitwits who didn't design doors to function as airlocks in the winter; you'd think that they'd never gotten a clue from revolving doors.

uhh Tau honey...if it wasn't for those idiots who designed automatically opening doors you'd have to actually have to STOP and OPEN them which would then result in you breaking your stride even more! Don't complain...atleast they achieved sumthing! What did you design? But i think I know the solution to this problem...

------------------
N.T.B

Posts: 64 | From: under your bed | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
QuiGonValjean
Geek
Member # 1485

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2002 16:56      Profile for QuiGonValjean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the TiBooks? I have one of the original iBooks, the ones with handles. Personally, I think the handle idea is BRILLIANT!! They need to give the guy who thought of that a raise. The person who took it off needs fired and should be forced to go work for Compaq or something.

------------------
Long live the Performa.

Posts: 143 | From: the land of everlasting Dr. Pepper, Snickers, and Turkey Hill Iced Tea | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2002 21:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a little kid I didn't like automativ doors because they didn't see me. Now the automatic things that annoy me are auto-flush toilets. Especially the ones at Chicago-O'Hare. Either they don't see me or they flush everytime I twitch. The doors I hate are the ones at school that have the handicap accessible buttons on them. I undersatnd the need, but does it really have to be designed in such a way that you practically have to be a weight-lifter to open the damn things manually?

As far as buildings, I nominate Meliora Hall at my school. It's like a man-siz rat maze. Fittingly enough, it also houses the psychology and Brain and Cognitive Sciences departments. I also nominate the ER at a certain hospital. Why they have to put beds in the triage area is beyond me, the crowding and lack of privacy sucks for the patients in the beds and it sucks for the patients coming in too.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jas
Geek
Member # 1528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2002 06:09      Profile for Jas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one is an old gateway case... with the power supply RIGHT NEXT to the harddrive bay so you CANT get the last two screws out to take out the factory installed drive, so i had to take out the bay...

------------------
I. Love. MUSIC!

Posts: 225 | From: Land of Blues Guitar | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2002 06:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by annie:
Oh no, I've broken my stride, I can never get it back again!!!

LOL! Sorry, Tau - but that was funny.

------------------
"But you've got everything now
and what a terrible mess I've made of my life."

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2002 10:50      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate the TV/VCR combo appliance manufactured by Sharp. (I don't know the model number off hand.)

If the TV is on the lowest-numbered channel that the TV knows about and you press the "Channel Down" button on the front of the TV, it goes into "A/V" mode (auxiliary input, e.g. for an external camera). There is absolutely no way on earth to get the TV back to normal mode by pressing any button or combination of buttons on the TV itself -- not even the "reset" button in the center of the control panel that you can only press with a pen or similarly slender pointed object. Even unplugging the power cord won't work. You must use an infrared remote control to select a numeric channel. Period. And if the kids lost it, tough shit -- go buy another one.

It wouldn't be so bad if the channel buttons and the volume buttons weren't right next to each other, all the same size/shape/color, so that it's easy to press the channel button by accident when you're trying to adjust the volume.

I no longer buy any Sharp products.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
trillianastra
Mini Geek
Member # 1526

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted August 12, 2002 11:08      Profile for trillianastra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD players that are useless without the remote!!!!!!!! Remotes were contrived for viewing convenience, not as a necesary component, and there are some bloody-minded designers that need to get that through their thick skulls.

------------------
All your sig are belong to us.

Posts: 80 | From: Bad Place TM | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture