homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Red Dwarf Movie! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Red Dwarf Movie!
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2002 06:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok - finding reliable-sounding info on the web about this is a little tricky. But - a week or so ago I saw Craig Charles being interviewed on live TV here and he claimed that 'the funding is all in place' and that shooting begins early next year, followed by a release by the end of 2003.

...oh and he was being interviewed whilst bouncing a soccer ball on his head for a couple of minutes (did you know he had try-outs for Liverpool when he was a teenager?)

------------------
"You know, you can praise the lord with silence, Dougal."
"Really Ted? Is that like when you told me I could praise the lord just by leaving the room?"
"Yes, that was a good one."

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2002 18:26      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell's Toilet has television service?
Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2002 05:56      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! I thought he was in jail, though. Oh well, maybe that was a while back.

Anyway, I'd love to see a Red Dwarf movie. Which cast of characters do you think they'll include (i.e. at which point in the series will the movie take place)?

Personally, I'm hoping to see Duane Dibley. I never laughed so hard in my life!

Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 05, 2002 10:23      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fun, fun, fun. In the sun, sun, sun

Where did these goldfish shoals come from and why are they nibbling at my toes?

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2002 11:47      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one question is "smeg" a word in usage in the UK or was it at some time? The only place I have ever heard it is on Red Dwarf. And if it is a word what would it's american equivalent be?
Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2002 14:34      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smeg isn't a proper word in english and as far as I know we didnt use it over here until the the program came out.
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2002 17:23      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FatGnome:
Just one question is "smeg" a word in usage in the UK or was it at some time? The only place I have ever heard it is on Red Dwarf. And if it is a word what would it's american equivalent be?

The word smeg was created for the show so they could swear without, um, swearing.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2002 21:18      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks. Glad to hear I wasn't a total idiot here and not know a word that I should have.
Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2002 22:10      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The word smeg was created for the show so they could swear without, um, swearing.

may be coincidental, but as kids we used the term smeg, (and I can assure you that was back in the dark ages, pre red dwarf) short for smegma , which connoted to us an unpleasantly aromatic buildup under one's foreskin. ( ok, we were close, but not 100% on target ) so in effect we could call each other something nasty with out swearing as well. I always thought they meant the same thing in red dwarf.

I hope the rumors are true re: the movie!

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2002 04:11      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quiggy, an actual Red Dwarf movie! I haven't seen 'em in ages! Well, it FEELS like that long. The only time I'd ever see Craig while not on RD was on RobotWars... heehee, which was spiffy, at least at 2 in the am or so.

But anywho, GO KRYTON! HE ROCKS!

------------------
Look at me, dammit, I'm your little princess!!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2002 05:24      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.planetsmeg.com/rd/info.html
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2002 07:07      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can't come fast enough...Although they could toss us a bone and release season 9 while they're getting their movie together--or at least release the prior seasons on DVD...my video tapes are becoming worn out!
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 14 posted July 06, 2002 21:44            Edit/Delete Post 
For the record - sosumi is right. Craig Charles answered that question on some TV show or other (Top 10 of Science Fiction, maybe?) a while ago.

- uilleann

IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2002 22:34      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FatGnome:

well, I was gonna answer but sosumi beat me to it..

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2002 20:01      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Dwarf movie: cool. Red Dwarf Movie acutally availiable in the states: even cooler.
Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2002 03:32      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Super Flippy:
Cool! I thought he was in jail, though.

Craig Charles was aquitted of rape back in about 1995...ish. (His case was one of those that prompted the media to question whether or not the accused in a rape trial should have anonymity as well as the alleged victim... but that's another thread...)

------------------
"Really Ted? Is that like when you told me I could praise the lord just by leaving the room?"

LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2002 05:46      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Craig Charles was aquitted of rape back in about 1995...ish. (His case was one of those that prompted the media to question whether or not the accused in a rape trial should have anonymity as well as the alleged victim... but that's another thread...)

I hadn't heard that, thanks.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2002 06:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
Hell's Toilet has television service?

Yeah, but the reception's kinda crappy.

------------------

LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2002 06:18      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, but the reception's kinda crappy.

Considering the programming, the concept of a toilet television isn't too far off.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2002 06:49      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
Considering the programming, the concept of a toilet television isn't too far off.

...and it could be useful, too, for whenever Kathy Lee Gifford comes on. (She 'fills me with an urge to defecate!')

------------------
"Great! I got a trig mid-term tomorrow and I'm being chased by Guido, the killer pimp!"

LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2002 10:15      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...and it could be useful, too, for whenever Kathy Lee Gifford comes on. (She 'fills me with an urge to defecate!')

Wow, a new weight-loss regime, watch television, eat all you want and the programming acts as a laxative or makes you want to puke.

After all, television already promotes anorexia---

fussili
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1134

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2002 06:53      Profile for fussili     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woot =] Getting closer then, I'm a red dawrf fan, have been all my life. With regards to Smeg - it has entered the language of myself and most of my friends - replaces most swearing adequately.

The Red Dwarf Official site has been following it through 'casting' (robert llwelyn needs a new kryten head) and read throughs (Danny John Jules "cat" still fluffed his lines). It will be incredible and november is the final date of release for the DVD's (all red dwarf series 1-8 have been out on Video but no DVD yet!)

Heeeee's arnold arnold arnold rimmer more reliable than a garden strimmer ... etc =] Nice to see some Geeks on the other side of the atlantic enjoy the BEST comedy on the planet =]

Posts: 14 | From: Hong kong | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 14, 2002 04:46      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- fussili -

Nice to see some Geeks on the other side of the atlantic enjoy the BEST comedy on the planet =]

And that would be, what, the top half of the Atlantic?

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2002 05:07      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hong Kong is in the top half too

I'm glad to see they're keeping the original cast for the movie.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2002 07:21      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
Hong Kong is in the top half too

I'm glad to see they're keeping the original cast for the movie.

Um...Hong Kong could only be in the top half of the Atlantic Ocean if there's a major geological upheaval..on the scale of the planet Krypton.

But, it is in the Northern Hemisphere, so you can consider it as the top-half of the globe. But, since we're taking our view of the globe from the standard display thrust upon us (prolly because of the majority of the land-mass is in the Northern Hemisphere), try to imagine yourself approaching the Earth from outside the solar system, and look at the globe from an inverted position.

I wonder if any maps exist with a southern pole orientation?

However, back to the topic, I just wish to goodness the series would come out on DVD before I have to order my replacements for the VHS tapes I own...they're beginning to wear out, but I play them anyway.

They're prolly trying to find all this "value added" content, but I say to hell with that, I'll just take what can be put on DVD and run with it.

I haven't checked, yet, but are the novels continuing to issue new materials?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture