homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Ok, so I was wr....wr...wr...wrong. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ok, so I was wr....wr...wr...wrong.
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 02:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QF - your homage to haggis reminds me of a Mike Myers quote from the film So I married an axe-murderer when he says 'I think most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare'.

------------------
"It's the largest lingerie department in Ireland, so I'm told."

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 03:13      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rather like pineapple on pizza, but the lesson, fellow geeks, is not about pineapple but about courage to try new tastes.

Don't pass anything up, you never know the experience will be offered again!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 26, 2002 06:03      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by spungo: ...when he says 'I think most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare'.
*spits coffee all over keyboard* LOL. That's very funny.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 07:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quantumfluff wrote:
Can you slice haggis?

Yeah, you can slice haggis when it's cold because it congeals into a lump. Apparently some people make haggis burgers out of it.

I'm gonna go toss my cookies now

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2002 07:34      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haggis isn't quite the most disgusting thing one can eat in Scotland - they have this thing called a 'Mixed Grill' which you buy in the supermarkets as an assortment of three different types of discs. One of the discs is black pudding, another is a sort of suet pudding and the third is lorne sausage. Lorne sausage is a kind of low-grade you-wouldn't-feed-it-to-a-pig type of meat. It's bright pink and barely looks animal. Anyway, what you do is chuck all this lot into a frying pan and watch it shrivel into little fibrous balls of sludge, floating in a simmering lake of rancid fat. And then you eat it... and then you call the ambulance.

Scotland is the only place in the world where the stores run out of lard.

------------------
"It's the largest lingerie department in Ireland, so I'm told."

Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2002 09:48      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Scotland is the only place in the world where the stores run out of lard.

And the only place where deep-fried Mars bars are haute cuisine.

LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2002 15:53      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by spungo:
[b]Scotland is the only place in the world where the stores run out of lard.

And the only place where deep-fried Mars bars are haute cuisine. [/B][/QUOTE]

deep-fried mars bars? Sounds interesting

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2002 05:45      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
And the only place where deep-fried Mars bars are haute cuisine.

Ah-a, yes indeed. It is no myth. Deep fried pizza, as well.

------------------
"This week I are be mostly scripting in perl."

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2002 07:30      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been in scotland for 6 years now and I can tell you that the chip shops (or the better ones at least) will batter and deep-fry most things. There was one (legend has it) down the road from me that would fry you anything except opal fruits (starburst) -don't ask me why. Jaffa-cakes, kit-kats and so on were no problem. Deep fried mars bars are OK (if you like mars bars) and deep-fried pizza is absolutely great on those cold winter evenings when you need to insulate yourself from the cold with cholesterol. Deep-fried haggis is so popular it come in two sizes. Another delicacy from scottish chippies is the donner pizza. Take a plain pizza, then cover with kebab meat, followed by salad, salad dressing and chilli sauce. A truly great meal for those post-pub wanders home when you really want to feel like a fat bastard.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2002 09:07      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deep fried candy... mmmmm

new found love with pizza (top to bottom)... whole wheet crust, pesto (a lot of it) cheeze, fresh sliced tomato (diced) pinapple... mmmmmmmm.... actually i ordered it at the pizza place here, and the guy tried it (friends) and now it's a weeklly special

fat bastard?
<mike meyers quote>
YOU LOOK LIKE A BABY! I'M HIGHER THAN YOU ON THE FOOD CHAIN! GET IN MY BELLY! I WANT MY BABY BACK, BABY BACK BABY BACK BABY BACK ribs, I WANT MY BABY BACK BABY BACK BABY BACK ribs.

</mike meyers quote>

------------------
my geek code
Hazards: "There is an island of opportunity in the middle of every difficulty, miss that, though, and you're pretty much doomed."

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2002 02:16      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
... Another delicacy from scottish chippies is the donner pizza. Take a plain pizza, then cover with kebab meat, followed by salad, salad dressing and chilli sauce...

<Homer moment>
Mmmm... donner pizza... ahhhh... such greasy yumminess...
</Homer moment>

------------------

LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 24, 2002 02:33      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
<Homer moment>
Mmmm... donner pizza... ahhhh... such greasy yumminess...
</Homer moment>

I've heard of pizza parties, but do people in Scotland get together and have a Donner party?

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2002 02:35      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
I've heard of pizza parties, but do people in Scotland get together and have a Donner party?

Ha ! Good one... I tried going to one last week... but they told me to get lost.

------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2002 10:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
spungo wrote:
Ha ! Good one... I tried going to one last week... but they told me to get lost.

You should have looked them straight in the eye and said "bite me"

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture