homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Did my ex invent booth-fluff?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did my ex invent booth-fluff?
Max Heck
Mini Geek
Member # 883

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2002 08:33      Profile for Max Heck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The year: 1992. The scene: a ham-fest. The situation: I had literally tons of IC's to unload, so I rented a tailgating space. My (then) GF had never been to a hamfest, but was intrigued by the idea... She wanted to see how the Geekier half lived.

So I arrive at the hamfest, and start setting out my merchandise. My G/F shows up in very tight jeans, a tight tee-shirt, and an underwire bra... She perched on the tailgate of the truck and smiled at everyone who hung about (this was her idea!)

I made over $600 that day, selling chips for about 1/1000 of their worth... And there was always a crowd around our space.

My question is: Was this the original Booth-Fluff, or did this phenom exist before 1992?

Oh... I told the story to my TTB, she laughed, and she's already volunteered to be geek-bait (my ex's original term) in Baltimore on April 7-8. So if you are there, say hi to the very ugly guy selling IC's with an exquisitly pretty woman perched on the tailgate.

Max.

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2002 09:16      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry dude, booth fluff has been around since there have been booths and sex starved geeks. Especially at computer game shows like E3 and ECTS
Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Max Heck
Mini Geek
Member # 883

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2002 09:34      Profile for Max Heck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I fully realize that pretty young women from the marketing department have been staffing trade booths forever, but I was wondering when it really started to pick up among the geekier crowds... After all, most geek get-togethers were famously stag.

Max.

NeenerNeener
Geek Larva
Member # 989

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted March 08, 2002 11:17      Profile for NeenerNeener     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After all, most geek get-togethers were famously stag.

heh, I wonder why?

A feminist theory would be that the predominantly male attenders and holders of these geek events have booth fluff and booth fluff gawkers so as to keep women well away from these events by making them feel uncomfortable. I would tend to agree with that theory. i don't think geeky guys really want women around at these events.

Posts: 27 | From: Kanada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2002 21:49      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been going to computer trade shows since 1982, and we had booth babes back then.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2002 04:52      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NeenerNeener:
After all, most geek get-togethers were famously stag.

heh, I wonder why?

A feminist theory would be that the predominantly male attenders and holders of these geek events have booth fluff and booth fluff gawkers so as to keep women well away from these events by making them feel uncomfortable. I would tend to agree with that theory. i don't think geeky guys really want women around at these events.

I have to disagree with that. The only "geeky" guys I have ever met that resented women being present were inept and chose to target someone they perceived as weaker to make themselves feel better. (That can be pretty hostile, too.)

None of the true geek guys I know have an issue with it. I think the guys do deserve some slack in this area. It is a heavily male dominated field. In our corporate IT directory there are only 4 women listed. I have found initially that they act like I am some sort of weird exotic alien creature, but after a few weeks of adjustment they are fine.

A genuine sexist attitude is one thing, but in this instance we are talking about guys who are in an almost exclusively male field. It is changing slowly, though. It takes adjustment on both sides. Do I have a problem with booth fluff or gawking at it? No. Absolutely not. Do I have a problem with being gawked at, myself? As long as it is subtle and doesnt interfere with respect for my skills, I will disregard it.

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted March 09, 2002 05:13      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for the most part, it's the marketing department that determines what shows up at the booth, and as marketing departments the world over have shown, they very little concept of what will actually draw a geek in.

That said, I don't take offense to booth-fluff being there, but quite frankly, it has very little effect. Consider if you will, the amount of obscene adverts the average net addict sees on a weekly basis. Now consider how much less the booth-fluff is showing. I'm not going to be drawn into the latest software package by a beautiful face, when I'm confronted with full nudity on at least a daily basis with no avail.

Now, for NeenerNeener's point... no, it's not that we don't want females at these events, and I really doubt booth-fluff is there to scare women off. Generally geeks are more accepting anyway, so physical attractiveness counts for very little, especially when combined with my point from above, we become jaded to the physical stuff, it's not exciting. Give me a woman who can hold intelligent conversation, I never get tired of that, because it's constantly changing.

That sort of booth-fluff, I have to admit, does work. Females who know what they are talking about, will most likely draw in a larger crowd of male geeks than their male counterparts. However, it may also be counter-productive, a wide array of male geeks(females too, but give me some liberties here ) are shy, and would feel more comfortable talking to a guy if they were at the show in strictly a business sense. TTB's may draw the crowd, but the orders may go to the average looking male geek.

Overanalysis is fun!

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2002 14:20      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My company doesn't employ booth fluff for trade shows, but the majority of the Sales and Marketing departments is female. Most of our demos are done by guys, but that's because we have some really gifted showmen on staff.
Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted March 10, 2002 19:04      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the wood products show in Portland has been notorious for having "garter" girls, I had green garter wrapped around My arm from on of those lovely booth vixens.......Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture