homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » WHY THE HELL HASN'T ANYONE MADE A STAR TREK CELL PHONE COMMUNICATOR !?!?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WHY THE HELL HASN'T ANYONE MADE A STAR TREK CELL PHONE COMMUNICATOR !?!?!
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 22, 2002 00:55      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would buy one if it worked well and made that cool sound when you flipped it open. I also want a REAL Lightsaber and a HOVERBOARD. TORQUE

------------------
NANANA

Posts: 103 | From: Annapolis Wa. USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2002 01:06      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the problem with the cell phone you suggest is that very select few would want to buy it, therefore it would cost you quite a lot more money..though it seems to me I've seen one before somewhere...as for the lightsaber and hoverboard, my friends and I debated for months, daily coming up with new arguments or specs for a hover board back in 5th grade, and in the end wound up with the conclusion that available technology wasn't ready for that particular item yet...as for lightsaber, well you can probably find one of the ones they used in the movies, which of course aren't real lazer blades, but it'd likely cost you a few hundred grand at least. As for making a working one, have you ever read any of the star wars books? It's not possible to make one according to the process that they use in any series, and it's not bloody likely that anyone will ever discover the way to do it in real life either, considering the fact that its a lazer, yet it only goes out so far and stops...ooh, that still pisses me off...well, thats enough from me, and I'm probably going to be burned fairly badly, I seem to have misplaced my flame retardent gear...
Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 22, 2002 01:43      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have seen "real Lightsaber props" for sale on Ebay or somewhere for a few hundred. But you know that's not what I mean by REAL. Till then I have my rusty broadsword.
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted July 22, 2002 01:52      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O and since we are digressing from topic.
I STILL DON'T HAVE MY JET PACK YET ! Wazzupwidat ?

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2002 02:04      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, since we're digressing..your from WA?? Spiffy, we can always use more washingtonians on these boards(spoken from a washingtionan, heh)...ciao
Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2002 03:17      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't find the short mpeg I was looking for ('why real lightsabres are a bad idea' about a kid who unwraps a lightsabre he's been given as a christmas present and decapitates his grandad), but here's a sight with some pointers to things you should use your lightsabre for

http://www.lightsaberinformationcenter.com/baduses/baduses.html

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2002 13:22      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only conceivable reason for the communicator/cell phone issue would be licensing and price-point.

And which form of communicator are you referring to? TOS (black box with a gold antenna, the early movies (wrist-model), the little gold com badge from the later versions?

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2002 16:23      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i saw a link off /. that was to a guy who custom builds light sabers.. with machetes or soemthing and adds laser pointers

------------------
my geek code
Hazards: "There is an island of opportunity in the middle of every difficulty, miss that, though, and you're pretty much doomed."

TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted July 24, 2002 10:05      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GOOG IDEA ! I will just duck tape light sticks to my broadsword and make rummmming noises with my mouth. I wopuld really prefer the wounds self cauterize though.
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2002 20:47      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
the problem with the cell phone you suggest is that very select few would want to buy it, therefore it would cost you quite a lot more money..though it seems to me I've seen one before somewhere...as for the lightsaber and hoverboard, my friends and I debated for months, daily coming up with new arguments or specs for a hover board back in 5th grade, and in the end wound up with the conclusion that available technology wasn't ready for that particular item yet...as for lightsaber, well you can probably find one of the ones they used in the movies, which of course aren't real lazer blades, but it'd likely cost you a few hundred grand at least. As for making a working one, have you ever read any of the star wars books? It's not possible to make one according to the process that they use in any series, and it's not bloody likely that anyone will ever discover the way to do it in real life either, considering the fact that its a lazer, yet it only goes out so far and stops...ooh, that still pisses me off...well, thats enough from me, and I'm probably going to be burned fairly badly, I seem to have misplaced my flame retardent gear...

i see your a Star Wars Novelization fan like me. i agree that it would be impossible but their stories arent always the same. in Lightsabers book 7 of the Young Jedi Knights series(i think....) Kevin J Anderson talks about making one.. other than the special crystals they use it could have been made.. i dont think it would have worked.. but thats another story... from what i can remember of the other books i think the lightsaber is based upon a force field of some sort... and then there is the whole thing about the jedi being one with his lightsaber and having to meditate for a few days to do so... that perhaps is the hardest part of real people making one..

------------------
Be careful when your driving, 90% of people are caused by accidents

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2002 00:35      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Light Sabers

Not quite the real thing, but still very Shiny!(tm)

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 28, 2002 04:03      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda like the odd juxtaposition of this fella's goal and faith.

I don't mean to knock another man's faith ... but talk about non sequiturs! [Smile]

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Chump
Geek
Member # 593

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted September 06, 2002 18:33      Profile for The Chump   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of light sabers how about these?

-
 -

Quoth Mark Hamill," Don't f*ck with a Jedi Master son."

Even scarier was finding this while looking for pictures of CockKnocker.

--------------------
Vedi Vidi Velcro "I came, I saw, I stuck around"
quality in posting since dec 2000

Posts: 184 | From: In my chair, in front of my laptop, at my desk, in my kitchen, in my aprtment, o | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 04, 2002 14:17      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY Stole this here,
http://www.screamingmidget.com/
thought it apt. torka

Q: I've heard that The Government has actual, working light sabers. Is this true? Are they keeping this technology suppressed because George Lucas has the copyright on the name? Or are they just worried that someone is going to get hurt?

It is true that The Secret Government has indeed developed real, working light sabers but no one is suppressing the light saber technology. Readers of Ask Kid Continuity have known about them for years and often check in here for technical advice. The "Star Wars" movies are intended to show off how useful these devices can be to the average person: cutting limbs off of your enemies, use it to open those sticky locked doors, slice open a tauntaun to keep warm in the winter.

If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
He had SUCH potential !

Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2002 16:20      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, with the available flip-phones on the market, it probably wouldn't be toooo difficult to take an existing unit and create a slipcase for it that looks like the communicator.

Myself- I prefer the interstallar Vox from Galaxy Quest (THE BEST FREAKIN' SPACE MOVIE EVER!)

Anti-immolation gear at the ready...

Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2002 13:40      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Chump:
On the topic of light sabers how about these?

-
 -

Quoth Mark Hamill," Don't f*ck with a Jedi Master son."

Even scarier was finding this while looking for pictures of CockKnocker.

actually those would be called Bong Sabers [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture