homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Longhorn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Longhorn
MonikaTheOnlyOne
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2436

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 22, 2003 16:03      Profile for MonikaTheOnlyOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, what do YOU think about Microsoft's new OS-spyware-mutant Longhorn? I have heard that even some Microsoft experts don't know what that is, which sucks, but maybe some geek out there has an opinion of it.

Kill Longhorn!!! [Mad]

--------------------
Monika

I can't depend on your hate to define my love
Am I strong enough to love your soul?
Love doesn't care to receive what it gives
Bleeding compassion to extreme
Love stretches out to die for its enemies
Hey you, I love your soul!

Posts: 30 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 16:40      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i enjoy longhorns. they are very pleasurable, even without the batteries put in..

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 22, 2003 17:35      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Longhorn is just the next level of MS madness, it'll have more of everything you'll need to go whereever they say today! and it will improve your internet expirience! Security will be optional because it's easier without it, just thier for those of you who want to do things the hard way. The concept of "DRM" will also be in place here, although if you delete a registry key or two you'll have no trouble making all the "backup copies" you need. You'll also want to unknowingly be forced to use MS NEWEST media formats that defy every known idea of cross compatability!The Biggest improvement is that windows will no longer have the Start Bar!Now you get somthing that takes up 1/3 of your screen realestate and never goes away!

Hows that for an explanation?

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 05:30      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shit?!
no start bar?
those guys are just fucking brilliant..

--------------------
its been a while

Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted November 24, 2003 00:07      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly the ugliest OS I've ever seen. That bar is HUGE!!!

screenshots

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 00:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ti:
That bar is HUGE!!!

I hear that a lot. [evil]

'Longhorn' is my middle name [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 00:16      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come they don't show the new and improved BSoD? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 02:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
How come they don't show the new and improved BSoD? [Roll Eyes]

They haven't got it working yet. [Wink]
Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 05:04      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm...don't I see a start bar as well as that huge unsightly blork in those screenshots? Stupid stuff. I bet Bill Gates has a multi-level warehouse of chimps in cubicles from which he gets his ideas for all the new operating systems. They should work on a distro of Linux that is compatible with most games...

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 05:28      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
i enjoy longhorns. they are very pleasurable, even without the batteries put in..

Heh heh... that's why they invented the spin cycle. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 24, 2003 10:29      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That must be the worst UI design ever. Most of the space on screen is left blank! WTF?

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 12:15      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im sure the Bar can be hidden.. at least i hope it can..

--------------------
its been a while

MonikaTheOnlyOne
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2436

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 24, 2003 16:50      Profile for MonikaTheOnlyOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't my question. It's about tcpa. It's about George Orwell's 1984 going on inside our computers, controlling us!!! Aaaaaah! Yes, I AM paranoid about good old "palladium" (which was NOW renamed because a freaked out hacker [a geek just like all of us here] patented the name "palladium"; but you all know that I mean the pseudo-security, software-specific crap).

Death to Longhorn and the new design!!! [Mad]

--------------------
Monika

I can't depend on your hate to define my love
Am I strong enough to love your soul?
Love doesn't care to receive what it gives
Bleeding compassion to extreme
Love stretches out to die for its enemies
Hey you, I love your soul!

Posts: 30 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 18:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yipes! I saw "palladium" and wondered why peopel were discussing heavy elements.

I'll get me coat...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
andyw
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2454

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted November 24, 2003 19:15      Profile for andyw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unbe-***-LIEVable! hilarious! bizarre! they can not be serious (can they, john?)

i have but one word to say, and that word is... KLUDGE. how much have they spent on this? however much it is, it's terrific because i'm sure apple couldn't afford such an expensive and totally effective promotional tool for themselves. and the comments page is the best - no-one there seems to realise what a complete DOG this is.

certainly there's no need to 'fight' this - it'll beat itself up comprehensively. it's beyond satire... this has really cheered me up!

Posts: 3 | From: melbourne, australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 13, 2003 20:13      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never though MS could get any more of the color blue into thier GUI! Would you let your lawn care company take up 25% of your land? Then why let you OS take 25% of your screen real estate? This should be interesting....

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2003 00:09      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Possibly the ugliest OS I've ever seen. That bar is HUGE!!!

For the blind i guess...but yes Hideous!
BOFH
Geek Larva
Member # 2477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2003 17:03      Profile for BOFH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't flame the shell before it's released. This is just a theme for the good old winXP interface, you can download many more under www.themexp.org and there is even an improved (resizeable for those running 800*600, LOL) sidebar with some great stuff (well normal things you find under Unix everyday but that somehow got lost on windows, like a permanent cpu/ram meter, etc) with some themes. The new interface will be called Aero, will support vector graphics and MS doesn't know what it's going to look like exactly (yet).
...and yes, I do hope it won't be as ugly as the shell in the pre-apha build or XP

--------------------
There are always only 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those who hate users, and those who don't.
Those who can count in binary, and those who can't.

Posts: 23 | From: matrix | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture