homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Math/Code Junkie Wannabe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Math/Code Junkie Wannabe
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 2 posted July 07, 2003 20:24      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always admired people who can unravel math problems and code. I drowned in Calculus (though I wanted to do the math -- I just didn't "get" it) and I never was able to get more complex than IF/THEN $ sets in basic and... LOGO. Loved that turtle, man.

So, I consider people who code/do math to be like wizards. They make the mess magically appear to make some sense, until it gets too complex for me to even wrap my brain around.

*sigh* [shake head] I am such the EndUser.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 10 posted July 07, 2003 20:42      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha, I did horrible in Calc.. but then again, everybody else was getting an "F" too.. but I loved programming, 139% [Smile] rock on. And pretty soon here I'll be working on some new languages.. And maybe I'll get a wizard hat soon too.. [Smile]

Tony Rad

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2003 00:08      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have don't have a problem with the logical part of math... That is upper math... What gets me is that I always have silly basic mistakes (add, sub, mul). Programing and logic come to me fairly easily... Control constructs, Objects, Functions all just make sense to me.

It drove me nuts when an upper level class had T.A.s for other classes (grad students) who were trying to argue that "else if" statements aren't "nested if's"... *grumbles*
code:
if(x.getbool())
{
x.f();
}
else if(y.getbool())
{
y.f();
}
else if(z.getbool())
{
z.f();
}

is just a pretty way to write:
code:
if(x.getbool())
{
x.f();
{
else
{
if(y.getbool())
{
y.f();
}
else
{
if(z.getbool())
{
z.f();
}
}
}

Jes, most people's problem with math is fear of it... Most people who have trouble with programming, I find, either want to think too much about the little details (can see the big picture), or spend to much time working on the whole without looking at the parts (can't see the forest for the trees). I don't think any of these are insurmountable.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2003 04:23      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YAY! I'm a wizzard [Smile]
Can I call you a muggle now, jess? [Big Grin]

rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2003 06:40      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRad:
haha, I did horrible in Calc... but I loved programming, 139%

139%? I believe I have some insight into your problem with math :-)
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
iCoach
Geek
Member # 2141

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted July 08, 2003 09:43      Profile for iCoach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/me Doesn't really like being the man behind the curtain.

<rant>
Don't get me wrong I really like programming. I enjoy the challenge of wrapping my mind around complex problems and trying to understand them well enough that I can talk code to a computer and have the computer solve the problem.

What I DON'T like is other people trying to comprehend the code that I speak. Mind you that these "others" that I speak of aren't other programmers, they aren't even geeks. They are my bosses. Who have no concept of what it takes to THOROUGHLY understand a problem to be able to code the solution to match it. All they think is, "Client wants XXX on sign, get it from the ASCII file, format it and put it on the sign. Oh and make it so it does it according to a schedule." It is a nightmare trying to get them to grasp the complexity of the problem: special cases, scheduling, overhead, speed, reliability, error trapping, code-reuse, flexability. And those are only SOME the problems that I am responsible for. It took me a week to figure out that a PC was locking up because of a memory leak in M$'s WinSock control.

I accept all these problems and challenges as part of what I do. But as soon as I start showing the nasty underbelly of developing to my bosses, they immediately say, "Thats what your paid for" - granted they are right, but they still don't grasp the complexity of programming. Which makes my job a nightmare as I try to handle overbearing bosses on a tight development schedule. They always want to know exactly where everything is at - when figuring that out takes even more time out of my already crunched schedule.

Then when we do run into a problem I have to go back to square one to try to explain WHY it took 8 hours to figure out that I was subtracting one where I should have been adding one.
</rant>

::sigh::

Sorry about that, had to vent...

-Coach

--------------------
Never upset a goalie - getting punched with a blocker is not a pleasant experience - facemask or not.

Posts: 164 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
v01d
Mini Geek
Member # 2272

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 08, 2003 12:19      Profile for v01d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
seems' like you're trying to emphasise all the wrong details...

your boss doesn't need to know about +/- bug, and he
probably doesn't want it either.
What he need is a prospect into the bright and happy
corporate future where all the nastiest bugs (stemming from the code you REuse of course) are
fixed, performance is optimised, rich feature-set is implemented. Let them know that you're making REAL progress in HUGE steps (you have to believe it though) hehe [Wink]
skip the code.

--------------------
There're running jobs. Why don't you go chase them?

Posts: 69 | From: windy city | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture