homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » TV shows they should bring back. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: TV shows they should bring back.
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 8 posted June 13, 2003 01:05      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They need to bring back good TV all together, This crap they have today just needs to be abrogated. Get rid of the reality shows, put
rock back on MTV instead of pop! Give a guy who plays the accordian and sings parodies a show. Oh yeah, GeekAvenger love those shows your talking about, wish they showed them more! Anyway, Im done ranting....

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 13, 2003 01:43      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bring back Diff'rent Strokes [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 13, 2003 03:52      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Bring back Diff'rent Strokes [Big Grin]

You're joking right? Right? [Eek!]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2003 05:09      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Whatchu Talkin' About, Willis?" [Wink]
Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2003 06:11            Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting GeekAvenger:
I've never seen any of these shows.......

Curious, as Spellbinder was an Australian show, with a half Australian/half Polish cast IIRC.

IP: Logged
Germanguy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2003 20:04      Profile for Germanguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked those shows where you could relate yourself to somebody but in todays shows everybody is attractive, smart, rich, gay and never has to work [cry baby]
In other words I wont married with children... back, All Bundy is the only one who has a worse live than I have or at-least that is what I like to believe [Big Grin]

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 2 posted June 16, 2003 05:43      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Punk Rawk Poet:
I'm also rather distraught that Reading Rainbow will be canceled. Why do they cancel shows that actually promote the Mission statement of PBS and advocate learning? It did more good for me than Barney or the Teletubbies ever could have done.

Well, in consideration that they put ads in front of the shows (the companies apparently donate that much) and PBS is now the muppet of CTW, think about it this way -- Mr. Rogers isn't on any more in our area, either. Considering that was about the only place a kid could learn anything about morals or where hot dogs come from (I'm sure there's a HUGE number of kids who became vegetarians off of that one), it's an enormous loss.

Hopefully, although they may not be making Reading Rainbow any more, they will be playing the previous twenty years. I feel badly that the Rainbow's leaving -- for LeVar Burton, who wanted to do this for the rest of his life (I thought I heard/read it in an interview with him after ST:TNG ended), and especially for the authors and illustrators who are going to be overlooked now that there is no venue for them to be exposed.

Between that and Canadian PBS shows (we get The Berenstein Bears and 7 Little Monsters show and Caillou) we're about full up here of kitschy cartoons that couch lessons in the name of marketing through PBS. Let's just say PBS Kids is "infomercials with a moral".

On the up side, though, Caillou is a great cartoon to have in a major children's cancer center city. It helped me somewhat when Pooh lost all his hair, and we got him excited about it by telling him he'd look like Caillou, which he did. Caillou acts like a normal kid on Chemo -- very reassuring.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 02:02      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Family Guy and Sports Night

outstanding writing for both, in incredibly different ways

go buy the DVD box sets for both of them now.

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 13 posted June 22, 2003 08:40      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TV? Thank god I grew up without one. [Smile]
Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
cryptOrchid
Geek
Member # 2249

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 09:27      Profile for cryptOrchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by defiant:
TV? Thank god I grew up without one. [Smile]

Lol... Growing up without TV is unimaginable!!!
The first 4 years of my life... where I could stay home and watch cartoons alllll dayyyyy long were the best years of my life! *sigh* Then I grew up, went to school and homework took up much of my tv viewing time. I still make time for my fav show though(DBZ, Freaky Links)

But seriously... depriving a young mind of cartoons = the ultimate crime. Didn't you atleast enjoy comics?

--------------------
I can't answer that without more information.

Posts: 130 | From: space | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 10:37      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cryptOrchid:
But seriously... depriving a young mind of cartoons = the ultimate crime. Didn't you atleast enjoy comics?

Sure I did. Also books in general. 'Perl' was my favorite. [Wink]

Our big garden around our house replaced the TV. Much more interesting. I don't need no stinkin' TV!

Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArmyGeek
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2232

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 05:10      Profile for ArmyGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say Dr. Who and Red Dwarf and Blakes Seven.

Just my 2 pennies

AG

--------------------
"Today is a Good Day to Die," by The Unknown Redshirt

evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2003 06:09            Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else catch the return of Ren & Stimpy? I was very dissapointed in the direction John K. took the show. He really shouldn't have changed it so drastically. Had it been this way from the beginning it would have been fine but taking a show that could air on Nick and changing it to an adults only show was a mistake in my oponion. It's just not the Ren & Stimpy we grew to love. Instead it's "I can make them swear and make gay jokes because its on late night TV now". From interviews it sounds like this is how he wanted the show to be from the very beginning but Nick would not air them how he wanted them and made him edit things out. But it was a hit on Nick & MTV. Sure they got lamer after he left and various writers took over but he could have a hit again if he would just stick to his previous formula. Instead since it's on the new TNN "TV for men" (I guess I not a "real" man as most of the stuff seems quite lame and in the vein of "me drink beer, me like boobies, me like sounds of explosions, women stupid, me go fishin and watch wrasslin & monster trucks and if you don't agree me call you homo" kind of programming.

I'll give the cartoons another chance, Gary the Rat & Stripperella have some potential but not sure yet.

I think I'm done ranting for now. What did the rest of you that caught it think?

quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Ren and Stimpy is coming back on the Spike Network (formerly TNN) starting June 16 (that's when the network starts, I don't know the exact showing time).

IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 06, 2003 08:05      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLES
WOMBLES!!!!!! WOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLES WOMBLESWOMBLES!!!!!!
WOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLES
WOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLES!!!!!!WOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLEWOMBLESWOMBLES!!!!!!WOMBLES!!!!!WOMBLESWOMBLESSWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWOMBLESWO MBLES!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!

EVERYBODY NOW!

'UNDERGROUND OVERGROUND WOMBLING FREE,
THE WOMBLES FO WIMBLEDON COMMON ARE WE
MAKING GOOD USE OF THE THINGS THAT WE FIND
THE THINGS THAT THE EVERYDAY FOLK LEAVE BEHIND!'

yeah!!

well, someone's bound to say it, so i will...
you'll have to excuse Spoony, she's British.

although they did bring back the wombles, but they 're-did' it, and now its shite, they made it p.c. and brough two girls in and a black womble. i mean come on! ott methinks

love from the smoky biscuit tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2003 18:22      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Quoting GeekAvenger:
I've never seen any of these shows.......

Curious, as Spellbinder was an Australian show, with a half Australian/half Polish cast IIRC.

Bizarre. As another Aussie, I've never seen it or heard of it, either.
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture