homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Keep the boards cleaner? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Keep the boards cleaner?
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 16:23      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Check it out y'all

http://home.supernet.com/~cmastfamily-ryan/index.html

I find his egotism offensive. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
QuiGonValjean
Geek
Member # 1485

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 16:31      Profile for QuiGonValjean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there's been quite a lot of emotion going down while i've been away!
No, really? [Wink]

And spungo, aren't you saying that we should at least be tolerant of others opinions? You seem a bit intolerant of mine.

quote:
Maybe you should consider putting the folks you consider offensive on your "ignore" list? That's what big people do.
Nice thought, but that only works on private messages. :-/ It would be nice if it worked in the topic threads, too!

quote:
As such I would think, as mature adults, that we should show tolerance toward him. After all as geeks we should be the most tolerant of people, it is more logical than the alternative.
Thanks at least for that. At least this discussion is ending up being a whole lot friendlier than it could've been.

quote:
Besides that, he fucking warned you that it was a dirty joke, so if you really are such a"moral" person, you wouldn't have read it in the first place!
[Frown] Yes, very good point. However, GMx seemed like one of the pretty good people here, so I thought he was just joking. Now I'm a bit wiser. Also, now that I've had more experience here, I'm getting better at predicting what threads could possibly be trouble.

You people are right about the fact that this is one of the more clean boards on the internet. Actually, the language doesn't bother me as much as the innuendo, so for what's that's worth…

-QGV (I like that abbreviation better! [Wink] )

--------------------
"I hope that by having this open dialogue we can learn to live in harmony. Or failing in that, I'll live in harmony by myself." - Dogbert

Posts: 143 | From: the land of everlasting Dr. Pepper, Snickers, and Turkey Hill Iced Tea | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 16:37      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was joking. [Frown]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 17:14      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
Cap'n Vic

Thank you for proving that he is not a troll. He may be young and sheltered, but he is definately not a troll. As such I would think, as mature adults, that we should show tolerance toward him. After all as geeks we should be the most tolerant of people, it is more logical than the alternative.

Hey, no prob, I managed to find his home email addy as well, I thought about posting it here so he would have the spambots chasing him. But he is a real live, little boy with absentee parents, no boundries (or real friends).....sad, no? [Frown]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted November 04, 2002 17:52      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this calls for a little South Park action. But which clip would be most appropriate, "uncle F---er" or "Kyle's mom is a bi-ch"?........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 04, 2002 18:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
I think this calls for a little South Park action. But which clip would be most appropriate, "uncle F---er" or "Kyle's mom is a bi-ch"?........Z

"Blame Canada! Blame Canada!" [Wink]
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 18:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go by the "If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen" approach. No one's forcing you to read anything or write anything you don't like. Personally, I don't like overtly trying to offend people, so I don't do it. I can't stop other people though. I also find some of the innuendo floating around here amusing, and some of it annoying (usually the wittier it is, the more it amuses me). Sometimes I even join in, if I feel like it.

I found GMX's joke to be funny and a bit on the tame side to be honest, but I'm also an EMT and EMT humor tends toward the extreme end of raunchy. I'd share some, but I'd probably become the second person in the history of the forums to offend spungo and cheezi, so I won't.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 01:02      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just give it a go xanthy, i'm always ready to be disgusted...

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
QuiGonValjean
Geek
Member # 1485

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 04:01      Profile for QuiGonValjean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But he is a real live, little boy with absentee parents, no boundries (or real friends).....sad, no?
[Roll Eyes] Oh, thanks for your compassion.

quote:
I go by the "If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen" approach. No one's forcing you to read anything or write anything you don't like.
Good enough. I thought I'd at least try to put in a word here to see if people could tone it down a little . . . Well, it was a nice try.

--------------------
"I hope that by having this open dialogue we can learn to live in harmony. Or failing in that, I'll live in harmony by myself." - Dogbert

Posts: 143 | From: the land of everlasting Dr. Pepper, Snickers, and Turkey Hill Iced Tea | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 05:11      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. Believe it or not, we have toned it down lately. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 06:40      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Haha. Believe it or not, we have toned it down lately. [Big Grin]

You mean we just haven't been posting so much lately. I don't think the actual filth-factor has waned at all. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Chump
Geek
Member # 593

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 07:27      Profile for The Chump   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by QuiGonValjean:
[QUOTE] . . . I had more exposure to outright vulgarity in a year as a fifth grader myself, than if I spent time slapped down in front of an uncesored 24 hour marathon of def comedy jam.

I see your point. I know kids younger than me that do it too. It still doesn't excuse it.

You're not related to anyone in politics are you? You picked out a quote to pick on whilst avoiding the whole point to the post which was a matter of EXPOSURE and the inability to avoid it anywhere you find people, not who's doing it and where to assign the blame.

--------------------
Vedi Vidi Velcro "I came, I saw, I stuck around"
quality in posting since dec 2000

Posts: 184 | From: In my chair, in front of my laptop, at my desk, in my kitchen, in my aprtment, o | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 11:31      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
Cap'n Vic
He may be young and sheltered, but he is definately not a troll. As such I would think, as mature adults, that we should show tolerance toward him. After all as geeks we should be the most tolerant of people, it is more logical than the alternative.

Sheltered? SHELTERED! This poor young man couldn't take a walk on a moonless, starry night without SPF 45 slathered all over his young, exposed body.

Sheltered does not begin to describe him.

Colonel Panic

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 11:58      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Sheltered? SHELTERED! This poor young man couldn't take a walk on a moonless, starry night without SPF 45 slathered all over his young, exposed body.

Sheltered does not begin to describe him.

Well CP:

I figure we have a choice to make towards QGV:

We can welcome him to our group and not let his naivete cause us to be hostile or discriminate and show intelligence and maturity.

We can be hostile and discriminate and drive him away, at the same time showing a serious lack of intelligence and maturity.

I choose the former, as he apparently is a geek, and I believe he is capable of contributing to this board. I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally know what it is like to be shunned and excluded by a group of people because you don't fit in. Well this is GeekCulture the place where geeks are supposed to be able to fit in. He is no different than anyone else who starts coming here and doesn't understand the rules right away. This might be good learning experience for him. He can learn about how the rest of the world behaves. I think we just need a little patience and understanding. He will get it eventually.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 13:38      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eventully.

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 00:14      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
qvj, just relax a bit, welcome to the boards!

at least you have initiated the largest amount of posting for a long time! that's someting at least.

tell everyone a bit more about yourself, where you come from (literally and metaphorically).

love, peace and cheez

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 04:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:

Oh, yes - sound idea! I think the entirety of Asses of Fire would do the trick. In fact - everyone should watch it. [Smile]

(And remember - bich is latin for generosity!)

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 05:37      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what a load of twoddle!!!

bich isn't even latin.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Romanes Eunt Domus, you mutha!

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:14      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Romanes Eunt Domus, you mutha!

look, just quoting life of brian lines at me won't convince anyone that bich is latin for generous

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:16      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as any fule kno, it's: romani ite domum

please, if you want to quote latin at me, at least give me proper latin, not montus pitonus latin

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:21      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look, pal - we didn't have no frigging latin at my school, you posh git! All we 'ad were muck-spreading and stuff down t'pit. If we were lucky, 'eadmaster would give us special lessons on 'ow to lance his rectal boils - but that were about it. So take yer poncey Southern latin shite, and feed it t'it pigs, ya shandy-drinking, London nancy-boy.

('arold - 'ow 'bout summit fer this drippin'?)

--------------------

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:30      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
...i really don't don't think that naughty words (fuck, cunt, asshole, prick etc...) are offensive at all..

I have to disagree with you for once here - one of those words I find very offensive... and would never use it or associate with anyone who uses it on a regular basis. But that's just me. [Wink]
You wouldn't call someone an "etc"? Seems harmless to me.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:38      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Look, pal - we didn't have no frigging latin at my school, you posh git! All we 'ad were muck-spreading and stuff down t'pit. If we were lucky, 'eadmaster would give us special lessons on 'ow to lance his rectal boils - but that were about it. So take yer poncey Southern latin shite, and feed it t'it pigs, ya shandy-drinking, London nancy-boy.

('arold - 'ow 'bout summit fer this drippin'?)

you were allowed to lance the master's boils? you had it lucky you did. we had to remove the master's polyps with our teeth.

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More likely you got to play hide the fag with your other dormitory bum-chums. Or was it the nightly game of bowel-pokery? Let me guess... they made you Head boy, did they? Those polished floors in Master's chambers were awfully dusty on one's knees, weren't they? [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture